Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Why no riots in Scotland or Wales?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Just wondering is it really as simple that we transfered our inner city loonballs to the periphery estates years ago, and they aren’t in as close proximity to the city centres as those in English cities? Just wondering, it’s not as if we don’t have our fair share of nutters up here.. Or are the problems in England worse than up here, more over population in england so it spreads quicker?

What are your thoughts?

chriswilk
    Free Member

because it’s been raining

winstonsmith

well, edinburgh has been rainy for most of this week…

yossarian
    Free Member

Dunno really. Perhaps less hatred of others within society? I’m sure that if given the chance neds from Scotland and wales would love to trash London!

Trimix
    Free Member

Rain.

waveydavey
    Free Member

There has you know:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW0356brnrE&sns=fb[/video]

schrickvr6
    Free Member

None in Newport as all the shops are already boarded up.

BoardinBob

Just wondering is it really as simple that we transfered our inner city loonballs to the periphery estates years ago,

I reckon that will play a part and within those estates, there’s so much internal conflict between local gangs that any kind of unified riot is unlikely because they’ll be tearing lumps out of each other before they even consider looting a shop.

donsimon
    Free Member

Nothing worth nicking in Wrecsam. Even the pound shop’s got a sale on at the moment. 😥

MrKmkII
    Free Member

actually, someone was arrested in glasgow! for trying to incite a riot via a social networking site… clearly it was a lame attempt 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

wasn’t raining in glasgow on monday or tuesday(the 2 worst days) i don’t think anyhow, canny really mind, to busy glued to the news channels.. 😀

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

You can just imagine the headlines…

“Rioters in Merthyr Tydfil do 2 million pounds worth of improvements”…

meikle_partans
    Free Member

population density.

there are plenty of neds within walking distance of glasgow city centre but they are much more spread out. i just dont think there is the same concetrated volume of angry disaffected young men and women necessary to create the tipping point of a full on riot. there are certainly the same percentage of people who would quite happily join in with a london/manchester style riot but if you think about the raw numbers then the whole of scotland has the same population as that of london so our potential rioters are far too spread out for a tipping point.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Estates further away from the centre of the cities? Less disaffection with the government? A more homogeneous society? Better parenting skills and better education system? The shite weather? Any/all/none of the above probably.

Trimix
    Free Member

Perhaps they are all down south rioting ?

daveawood
    Free Member

They may all be mountain biking?

Or perhaps it needs a different trigger, can you imagine what might happen in Edinburgh if, say, all the shops ran out of houmous?

hels
    Free Member

If a riot started in Edinburgh everybody would think it was a Fringe show, and stand there politely clapping if they were Festival ****, they might even join in if they thought it was Performance Art or something, or stride past purposefully not even notice it was happening if they were locals.

You would have to firebomb lots of cars to make me divert from my path to my bus stop on a busy thursday after work, when the town is saturated with Festival ****.

saxabar
    Free Member

Rain mostly in Wales, but a few arrests have been made for “misuse of social networking sites” (BBC article here).

AlasdairMc

The last riot we had in Edinburgh was the 6th July 2005 during the G8 protests. Edinburgh was moaning about some anti-capitalist protestors destroying the flower beds in Princes St Gardens, then the following day four people decided to blow up London, which put our problems in perspective…

Sanny
    Free Member

I suspect there’s more of a sense of national identity and belonging coupled with the have a go attitude that saw the Glasgow Airport Bombers on the receiving end of a sound shoeing. If you look at the Turkish and Kurdish dominated areas within London, there was a very rapid mobilisation of locals defending their community. Culturally, they have a very strong sense of identity and historical precedent is such, particularly for the Kurds, that they simply weren’t going to stand for things kicking off. I suspect in Glasgow at least, the attitude of “we’re no having that” would prevail also. The closest we came was the drunken arses who kicked off in Kelvingrove Park on the day of the Royal Wedding. It didn’t take long for the riot and mounted police to appear and deal with it though.

yunki
    Free Member

I suspect an apathy born of heroin addiction..

hilldodger
    Free Member

Scots and Welsh are a far more compliant and law abiding society, nothing to riot about here, move along now, celtic utopia this-a-way…..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The society is very divided adn fractured but the have nots are apathetic not angry.

also the is less general alienation and a police force that polices generally with the consent of the community

a bit of pride as well

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

because dear boy, we are such lovely people with idylic happy non-racist and non-dolescrounging lifestyles
    now i’m off to frolic in the fields catching free range organic marsbars to deep fry for tea.

imnotverygood

…because it takes some minimal organizational skills to set off a riot. Our neds just don’t have that sort of abstract capacity.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Tomazipan and Buckfast keep the natives apathetic.

boxfish
    Free Member

No riots in South Wales cos they like to keep things “tidy”…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

a bit of pride as well

damn right

donsimon
    Free Member

I suspect there’s more of a sense of national identity and belonging coupled with the have a go attitude that saw the Glasgow Airport Bombers on the receiving end of a sound shoeing. If you look at the Turkish and Kurdish dominated areas within London, there was a very rapid mobilisation of locals defending their community. Culturally, they have a very strong sense of identity and historical precedent is such, particularly for the Kurds, that they simply weren’t going to stand for things kicking off. I suspect in Glasgow at least, the attitude of “we’re no having that” would prevail also. The closest we came was the drunken arses who kicked off in Kelvingrove Park on the day of the Royal Wedding. It didn’t take long for the riot and mounted police to appear and deal with it though.

There is room for a deeply intellectual and analytical version or the reality that we can’t be arsed.

Kevevs
    Free Member

In Llandudno if the youth started smashing the town up, everyone would know who did what the next day as the town isn’t large enough for people to remain anonymous. anyway, most of the population is over 60 and more bothered if their sherry and biscuit supplies are drained.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

They can’t afford BlackBerry.

mamadirt
    Free Member

schrickvr6 – Member

None in Newport as all the shops are already boarded up.

Northwind

It’s because of the right to roam- we’re not all trapped in crowds on inner-city bridleways.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

nick1962
    Free Member

25% of children are privately educated in Edinburgh…..
    The rest of “inner city” Scotland save their ire for their regular sectarian drunken yobbery

hitman
    Free Member

apathy

Kevevs
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtIDVL-mF_E&feature=player_detailpage[/video] that’s why!

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Sheep bothering absorbs a good deal of energy.

Kevevs
    Free Member

what with the rain, the sheep bothering and the heavy drinking. I just can’t seem to find the time to go smash up a shop belonging to someone who knows someone who knows my mam! I also find it hard just to step away from the sheep bothering TBH.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Why no riots in Scotland or Wales?’ is closed to new replies.