Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Why is it public sector vs private sector in the pensions debate?
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Surely it’d be more sensible for all workers who are getting shafted to join together against those doing the shafting. I know – it’s an absurd idea.

onehundredthidiot

Because the Gov have seen a way to save money and have been seeding the media with “horror stories” of hope much richer public sector pensions are and how they are being propped “by the likes of us”

Spud

+1 onehundredthidiot

mudshark
    Free Member

Would this involve camping at St Paul’s? Not sure I’d fit in.

johnners
    Free Member

Because a lot of people apparently believe we have a free press that reports facts dispassionately and without bias?

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Divide and conquer!!

aracer
    Free Member

Surely it’d be more sensible for all workers who are getting shafted to join together against those doing the shafting.

If only it worked that way. Who’s coming out on strike to protect my pension (from the job I got made redundant from – but unlike the public sector workers they’re threatening what I’ve already accrued)? Anybody? No? I’d go on strike myself, but I don’t think anybody would notice.

Or maybe somebody could explain to me how the public sector maintaining their current pensions (which are better than what I had before they started trying to take away what I’d earned) makes the slightest bit of difference to what happens to mine.

heuer27
    Free Member

Aracer are you a member of a union that is fighting for you ?

As far as I can see that’s all the public sector unions are doing for their members.

If you’re not a member and have no support I sympathise .

It doesn’t mean that those who are in your position but are members of trade unions shouldn’t stand together and fight what they perceive as injustices.

The government have been extremely efficient(for a change) in setting the public and private sectors against each other to take attention away from the mess they are making of this country.

By the way I think all politicians are complete lying, deceitful,duplicitous pieces of dog doo.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

The government have been extremely efficient(for a change) in setting the public and private sectors against each other to take attention away from the mess they are making of this country.

Nail on the head.

I only wish more people would wake up to this.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Most of the private sector got their pensions taken away year’s ago. Or rather, replaced by something worth a lot less.

The public sector is now going through the same process. Neither side is telling the whole truth in the debate, but the idea that the current level of benefits is sustainable in the long term is unrealistic.

Junkyard
    Free Member

who’s coming out on strike to protect my pension

tories made secondary [flying] pickets illegal …bet many would if we could

Or maybe somebody could explain to me how the public sector maintaining their current pensions (which are better than what I had before they started trying to take away what I’d earned) makes the slightest bit of difference to what happens to mine.

Have you though about arguing that because there is better you deserve a better pension?
    How would them having a pension as poor as yours help?How does a race to the bottom help you?

Might be something in this politics of envy the free market capitalist right wingers go on about ?

heuer27
    Free Member

Matthew if neither side is telling the whole truth ,how do we know its unrealistic to maintain the status quo.
    The problem is that there is so much dis-information and politicising around this topic that I don’t see how anyone can decipher the truth of the matter.
    The only thing that seems clear to me is that the government is trying to change recently amended pension schemes which public sector workers feel is unfair.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Why is it public sector vs private sector in the pensions debate?’ is closed to new replies.