Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Why I will never buy a Commencal again….Warranty
  • GeeJay86
    Free Member

As a long term purchaser and rider of Commencal products, I’ve held off of this post for a while but I’ve reached my wits’ end with them as a company now.

Back in 2009 I bought a Meta 6 VIP frame in medium to replace my old meta 4, seeing as it had done me proud and I was in love with the Commencal brand and bikes. There was some slight concern over the cracking issues but I enlisted my trust in Commencal and their warranty of two years.

Anyway, the frame was every bit as good as expected until in July 2011 (the second) I discovered a crack in the frame weld. I sent it promptly back to the shop I bought it from, and it was subsequently sent to commencal.

In October 2011 I sent an email directly to commencal asking what the latest was with the warranty replacement and received a reply that they had no 2011 frames in Medium remaining, so if I could wait a month would have a 2012 Meta 6 sent to me. I questioned that they weren’t making 2012 Meta 6’s and was told a limited run for warranty replacements were being made. Only a month I thought, no problem.

November 2011 – I send an email asking where this is. Told there is a delay in the shipment to them, so another month.

Christmas 2011 I threaten with legal action and demand a Meta AM or SX as they had them available. Not unreasonable I think. I’m told that by January will have a 2012 Meta 6.

Jamuary 2012 still no frame, another two emails (they are ignoring me now) and finally a response saying the frame was “shipped today” (24th Jan now)

Feb 15th 2012 – still no sign of a frame, no replies to my emails asking for a tracking number, and no indication of a replacement or an apology.

As you can see – APPALLING service from this company despite my loyal custom and support over the years.

A bit of a moan, I know but in a way it’s a cry for help as to where to go to next? Where do I stand legally on this? Anywhere else I can go to to get this resolved?

I’ve been without a bike now for 7 and a half months which is ridiculous.

Not happy at all >:(

tails
    Free Member

jesus that’s awful! Go to your bike shop get them to call the UK dealer. If nothing else works go to the dealer walk in and take one, as they have effectively stelen your bike.

daleftw
    Free Member

That’s grim. Was thinking about a Commencal AM too.

lucien

Is there a UK distributor – might be worth dragging them in?

Simon

What have you been riding since the frame broke?

bigsi
    Free Member

Is the contract not with the place (shop or online retailer) that you bought the bike from rather than manufacturer?

I_Ache
    Free Member

That really is shite.

andyl
    Free Member

did you buy it on credit card? If so then give them a call.

Other than that file a claim with the small claims court.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tough to advise if you are dealing with the French Co. Putting this around the web may help.

I had a similar dreadful story with a foreign co. and had to threaten publicizing to get a resolution-not one I was happy with either.

passtherizla
    Free Member

that sucks… pop over to the commencal owners club forum and see if anyone has any ideas?

http://www.commencalownersclub.com/

Simon

It is bad. The only frame I’ve had replaced under warranty turned up the next working day after I returned it to the shop.

br
    Free Member

Ever thought of just ringing them up and actually speaking to someone?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Can’t fault my experience of Commencal warranty dealt with through Merlin Cycles. Was kept informed every step of the way and took just 2 weeks from sending my 2010 frame back, awaiting Commencal’s decision, to receiving a brand spanking new 2011 replacement.

pjm84
    Free Member

You’re not alone.

Currently having a battle with Giant who are refusing to replace my frame under warranty. I need to look at the legal option but luckily my next door neighbour is a retired solicitor and very keen on small claims. It’s a pain you can do with out though.

GeeJay86
    Free Member

Thanks for your comments all. The bike shop has been trying to deal with Commencal too but are receiving a similar response.

I don’t have a number for the guy I am dealing with in France. Does anyone have the UK distributors’ number/email address?

I ended up buying a Spicy 216 frame in September because I was sick of not riding. That was cash out of my own pocket that I am still waiting to recoup.

Crag
    Free Member

Thats shite mate, I thought mine was bad when I waited 4 months for my replacement Meta 5 at the end of 2009.

Same as you, I bought another frame while I waited – when the replacement turned up I sold it. Not a company I’d deal with again, which is a shame because when not broke, their frames ride really well. If only their warranty dept was as reliable as their failure rate (although in fairness, recent failure rates have fallen significantly!)

schmiken

UK distributor is Decade Europe:
    Telephone: 01792-469811 Fax: 01792-455351
    Email: info@decade-europe.com or sales@decade-europe.com

Give them a buzz and ask to speak to the boss.

manxambassador
    Free Member

Thats shocking service, although not much use to you, credit where credit is due I snapped a Kona frame and initially contacted them through their facebook page they were fantastic with an initial response through to the subsequent replacement. After sales service counts for a lot when considering my next purchase.

gingerss
    Free Member

Mine took 6 weeks which I thought was unacceptable and I still ended up out of pocket. You have every right to be annoyed.

My meta is a great bike but I’m with you in that I wouldn’t buy another one. It’s a shame that they let themselves down in this way as I got the impression that a couple of years ago they were showing a lot of promise.

Given the choice again I’d probably buy a 5.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

i waved one of the new am frames around last week.. it weighs a flipping ton!

spooky_b329

Another angle here…do you still have any protection via credit card, assuming you used one to purchase. It sounds like the shop should be making a much bigger fuss that they are…they probably feel you have relieved them of their responsibilities as you are dealing direct.

Stiggy

Dealing with a bloke called Greg perchance?

allthepies
    Free Member

do you still have any protection via credit card,

Not for a two year old purchase he won’t.

weeksy

My warranty experience with them wasn’t too bad.. However, overall it has made me decide i wouldn’t want/own a Commencal again.

woody74

My only advice, and its a bit late now, is that you should just bagger the shop as it is their issue and they should be refunding if there is a problem and they cant get Commencal to replace. I have done what you did many times where I have taken on the issue direct with the manufacture, recently did this with a wetsuit, thought it would be easier but in the end just becomes a hassle that you as a consumer that has paid more through a shop should not be dealing with. I am sick of all these shops saying things have to go back to the manufacturer and they must decide. Err no I bought the product from you Mr shop so it is your problem.

A someone who manufactures and sell direct to the public as well, Im not sure why these companies are so crap at customer service. I you offer a warranty then its a simple answer once you receive the product back, its either yes or no and then replacement from stock or refund. If you have got something in stock then offer an alternative. When you look at the cost of frames it is peanuts to give a replacement frame in the scheme of things. And thats part of making and selling products. You have to build into your margins that there will always be customer returns and warranty issues, rightly or wrongly.

martinhutch

Your contract is with the shop, rather than the UK distributor or Commencal in France. Although I can understand why you’d want to hurry things along, it should have been the retailer bashing away at their supplier on your behalf.

Perhaps the shop would be a bit more focused on resolving your case if you made it clear that your small claims action will be directed at them.

I’d be trying to work out what sum I could realistically add to the small claims action to cover loss of amenity from not having the frame replaced promptly and professionally.

convert

Going for the shop (legally) now would probably be the easiest solution for you regarding use of the small claims process etc. It might seem harsh depending on your relationship with them and how much you have kept them informed of the lack of action. Are we talking an actual shop or an online concern? I would have hoped by this stage a quality shop (bricks and mortar or online) would have offered you a long term loan or to give you a frame of similar value out of their stock on the understanding that they kept the warranty replacement when it arrived.

If the customer puts the pressure on the retailer they might think long and hard about stocking that manufacturer and the good guys might float to the top and the bad’uns get to feel it where it matters most to them.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Why I will never buy a Commencal again….Warranty’ is closed to new replies.