Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Why does my computer think…
  • donsimon
    Free Member

… I’m still in Spain?
    Every time I do a Google search I’m offered the Spanish listings first. If I Google Audi, the first listing will be Audi.es.
    Is there anything I can do in settings to change this?

jon1973
    Free Member

If you’re using Windows, check the ‘Regional and Language Options’ under the Control Panel. There’s a Location Option there, which you’ll be able to change to the UK (assuming that’s where your are now).

Cougar

Did you bring your router with you from Spain?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Are you still using a Spanish ISP? I sometimes work for a French company in the UK. Their connection to the Internet is in France, so google always assumes I’m in France. Quite annoying.

donsimon
    Free Member

Did you bring your router with you from Spain?

No. I figured it was the same as with the TV in that it wouldn’t receive the BBC, so I left it behind. 😛
    Done the change to location and it’s the same Jon1973.

Had a second thought and decided I don’t want to change it anymore.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Perhaps it’s homesick. 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Perhaps it’s homesick

I think that is precisely the problem. 😥

TooTall
    Free Member

Are you using the search built in to your browser? If so, it can be tweaked to point at whatever version of Google you want.

organic355
    Free Member

I’m having the same problem with my mac and google.

Every search listing comes up in $dollars and US websites, this never used to happen before.

metalheart
    Free Member

Is there not a default location in your browser?

On the homepage on google does it not ask you for it on the LHS? Or a drop down menu top left?

(sorry on the iPad so can’t check myself… 😳 )

scaredypants

you can force google to uk by adding

&gl=uk (or us etc)

at the end of the url

not really helpful but it’s all I’ve got 😐

Cougar

In the ‘old days’, the intertubes used to work out where you were based on your IP address, which would roughly correspond to a local “point of presence” – ie, it might have me down as “Manchester” when I’m really about 20 miles north of that. Some ISPs did things differently, resulting in AOL connections appearing to be about 2000 miles East of here. (-:

These days, I’m not wholly sure where Google gets its location info from, but I suspect it’s multiple sources. They hold a database of router information collected when they did Google Street View, so can get a coarse location based on what you can see from a WiFi connection (this is why I asked about routers; it’s also why some people erroneously think that the non-3G iPad can get GPS data when tethered).

You are of course going to http://www.google.co.uk and not, uh, .co.es yes?

Who’s your ISP, out of interest?

Klunk
    Free Member

do you have a BBC location set ?

loum
    Free Member

clear all cookies, worked after a spell in NZ

donsimon
    Free Member

Currently Talk Talk.
    While you’re here Cougar, could I take further advantage… 😀
    I’ve been unable to connect a Fasthosts email account up to Thunderbird, all the settings would appear to be correct but Thunderbird is either timing out or not recognising the password. Fasthost email is automatically using Outlook Web App. The password is correct and has been confirmed as correct by the Fashosts helpdesk, they say it’s a problem with Talk Talk.
    Any ideas?
    I’ll be giving it a try from a mobile modem a bit later this morning (using the 3 network) to see if that has an effect. Pushing/pulling the email to the phone is more important than to Thunderbird.

Cougar

Does it require a secure connection, perhaps? Some do these days.

Assume POP3 is enabled within FastHosts?

Do TalkTalk block non-TT POP3? I dunno about TT, but some do (BT, for example, do (or used to), you’d to ring ’em to get them to enable it).

donsimon
    Free Member

Do TalkTalk block non-TT POP3? I dunno about TT, but some do (BT, for example, do (or used to), you’d to ring ’em to get them to enable it).

I’m not the account holder and that might prove to be a problem. I’ll give the mobile internet a try a bit later then if that fails I’ll just gently weep into my glass of warm milk.

Thanks

PJay
    Free Member

If it’s just Google that thinks you’re in Spain (rather than the OS) it’s likely to be a Google setting. Are you logged into a Google account? If so there’s usually a location setting tucked away somewhere (mine’s set by the first 4 digits of my postcode).

Cougar

Just to confirm,

Is it outbound that’s timing out, or inbound?

If it’s outbound, you’ll need to use TT’s SMTP server, not Fasthost’s (or, you’ll have to use authentication on FH’s server).

donsimon
    Free Member

Is it outbound that’s timing out, or inbound?

Tbird is sending the message out, I guess asking for permission to enter the Fasthost account.
    I’m going to try on mobile as that will be primary usage. As I said I don’t have the authority to talk to TT and I shan’t be asking.

Cougar

Right. So, yes, you either need to match the SMTP settings to the carrier, or use authentication on FH’s server (which will be the better option if you’re using multiple carriers). Using a ‘foreign’ SMTP server won’t work unless you prove who you are. Depending on their policies, it might also need to be a secure connection and / or a non-standard port.

donsimon
    Free Member

Right. So, yes, you either need to match the SMTP settings to the carrier, or use authentication on FH’s server (which will be the better option if you’re using multiple carriers). Using a ‘foreign’ SMTP server won’t work unless you prove who you are. Depending on their policies, it might also need to be a secure connection and / or a non-standard port.

I really, really, really, really wish I understood what you’re talking about… 😥

Cougar

Do TalkTalk block non-TT POP3?

http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/knowledge-base/?article_id=623

I really, really, really, really wish I understood what you’re talking about…

Set your outbound (SMTP) server to be smtp.fasthosts.co.uk then enable authentication (should be a tick box) and give it your login details. Can’t tell you exactly where, it’s a very long time since I last used Thunderbird.

donsimon
    Free Member

“Log in to sever mail@********.co.uk failed”
    😥
    Don’t worry about it Cougar, thanks for your help.

Cougar

“Log in to sever mail@********.co.uk failed”

Set your outbound (SMTP) server to be smtp.fasthosts.co.uk

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Google.co.uk make any difference to Google.com?

donsimon
    Free Member

Outgoing server smtp.fasthosts.co.uk
    outgoing port 225 default 25

Server type IMAP
    Server name mail.*********.co.uk
    port 143 default 143

What security setting should there be?
    None?
    STARTLS?
    SSL/TLS?

Cougar

From what I’ve read, I’d say ‘none’.

Try POP3 rather than IMAP maybe?

donsimon
    Free Member

Nothing in POP3, password not recognised.
    Off to play on the mobile network now.
    Thanks again.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Had a second thought and decided I don’t want to change it anymore.

😆

That’s my kind of logic. Love it.

donsimon
    Free Member

That’s my kind of logic. Love it.

Homesick. 😥

Just had a try through the phone using 3 and the same again, not hooking up. Possibly a problem with Talk Talk servers and 3 servers or Fasthosts not passing on info to the service providers… Time to talk to Fasthosts again…
    Hotmail linked to the phone without issues, first time of asking…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Maybe it’s cos it’s a Spanish computer.

You can find out by opening it up, and if you find a little bit of chorizo and some olives and pulpitos in there, then that’ll give you the answer.

donsimon
    Free Member

Maybe it’s cos it’s a Spanish computer.

It knows very well it’s Spanish ‘cos it can do this>>> € without problems, but to do this >>> £ I have to arse around.
    Secondly it slows right down between the hours of 2-4pm…
    And finally when I ask it to do something, I’m guaranteed to get a reply…………. Eventually.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Why does my computer think…’ is closed to new replies.