Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Why are little boys sooo obsessed with trains???
  • hora
    Free Member

20month old hora junior will happily stand/sit forever watching the trams go by or watch anything to do with ‘Thomas’.

Is this normal?

Last night he sat through the entire length of a documentary on a train driver driving trains in Peru 😆

16stonepig
    Free Member

Trains! 😀 😀 😀

mintimperial

Completely normal. My boy (3 1/2) is a bit less obsessed than he used to be, but having said that we still spent a fair chunk of yesterday just getting to and from MOSI in Manchester (by train) so he could go for a a 10 minute ride on Agecroft No. 1. We have spent a significant chunk of the past couple of years looking at and riding on trains. I actually quite enjoy visiting train-related stuff as a dad-son bonding sort of thing, but my wife is pretty sick of it.

Can’t stand Thomas & Friends though. Nasty, selfish little buggers those trains, Chuggington is much better. 🙂

flyingmonkeycorps

Because trains are AWESOME. I found a train the other day. True story.

djglover
    Free Member

Not just boys, my twin girls (3) have a trainset each and love any kids tv that is related to trains. Its learned though, because there are so many toys, tv programmes and family tourist attractions that revolve around trains.

IanMunro
    Free Member

All you need is a dinosaur to be driving the train, and he’ll explode in ecstasy 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve been asking myself the same thing. My 3 year old will sit quietly for ages watching trains on You Tube. Not cartoon trains or trains doing funny things…just trains. A day never passes without him talking about The Polar Express.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

All you need is a dinosaur to be driving the train

I hate trains but I want!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Why are little boys sooo obsessed with trains their willys???

FTFY

coffeeking
    Free Member

Never had a train interest in my life. Cars all the way.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Last year the Tornado was running on the Steam Railway that runs past my garden. Whenever it came past the kids would gallop outside to watch and wave at it.

Trains are cool. Trams are dull.

hora
    Free Member

Not cartoon trains or trains doing funny things…just trains.

Thats just it. Most of last nights Documentary was a infomercial for Virgin trains and mostly talking but he sat there staring/not moving for an hour..

bigyinn
    Free Member

Thats probably a different thread entirely ir_bandito…. 😕

puppypower
    Free Member

Don’t ask me. My 3 year old wants to be a train driver when he grows up. But only a STEAM TRAIN driver

bigyinn
    Free Member

hora – Member

Not cartoon trains or trains doing funny things…just trains.

Thats just it. Most of last nights Documentary was a infomercial for Virgin trains and mostly talking but he sat there staring/not moving for an hour..
    Clearly you were watching a different documentary then!

hora
    Free Member

I joked last night that he’ll probably aspire to be a ticket collector 😐

woody2000

Can I just be the first to say – you kept a 20 month old up till 10pm watching telly? You must be mad! 😉

But yeah, boys love trains (I think it’s just boys and big stuff really!)

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I enjoyed the doc last night but I’d say your synopsis is way off the mark, the main point I would say was another tale of big business’ raping the planet and the unfortunate underprivelidged people who often have no choice but to go along with it.

mogrim

Me, I preferred planes. Having Concorde fly over twice a day on its way into Heathrow does that to a small boy.

marsdenman
    Free Member

wait ’til they grow up – commuting by train will soon strip them of their rose tinted view 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Hes normally in bed by 7.30 max. However the last two nights he just wouldnt settle. Theres no way I can be in the same house and hear him cry. I can’t stand it.

the main point I would say was another tale of big business’ raping the planet and the unfortunate underprivelidged people who often have no choice but to go along with it.

It was still a thinly-veiled infomercial, not quite on a level/blatant with Eddie Stobart/C5 just more subtle.

ourmaninthenorth

Mrs North’s uncle was apparently always fascinated with trains as a boy.

In fact he still is. He’s 63.

hora – you’re lucky. How TF am I going to bond over dressing up as a princess? Actually, come to think of it….

njee20
    Free Member

Building a train set myself currently. No kids. Just for me!

bigyinn
    Free Member

It was still a thinly-veiled infomercial, not quite on a level/blatant with Eddie Stobart/C5 just more subtle.

The odd clip of a Pendolino does not an infomercial make. I viewed it as putting into context the relativelycossetted life he has driving with Virgin verses the 7hrs straight driving a train without a break in quite demanding conditionsw, staying very basic lodgings and being away from your family for 2 weeks at a time.
    Not to mention the planet rapeage.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Great big chuffing trains are ace, but I want to be a Spitfire pilot when I grow up.

(I’m 37).

hora
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth – girls can like trains etc too!

the In laws bought hora junior a kiddy vac, washing machine, cooker etc for Christmas. WTF.

I brought home a kiddy power drill set….guess what he plays with the most :mrgreen:

but I want to be a Spitfire pilot when I grow up.

As a small kid I wanted to be a Canadian LumberJack. I always hung out in the woods playing.

Decades on I still love playing in woods 😀

baden

Trains don’t really do it for me but at 8am on Sunday morning I was there at Newcastle Central Station enjoying a hot chocolate with Baden jnr + another dad and son enjoying a hot chocolate watching trains. That was all before going to sit for a ride at the front of a metro train. A real train fest before 10.30am.

binners

Hora – bring the little bugger over to Rammy for the day. The girls are now completely blase about these chugging past while we’re on the park. Though, as is compulsary, we still wave as they pass by. dems da rules…..

The sound of steam trains is the best backgound noise ever. FACT!

hora
    Free Member

Binners – when does it normally happen etc???

globalti
    Free Member

I used to live about 50 yards from that viaduct in Garden Street out of sight on the other side. Trains chuff past on Saturdays and Sundays. The big steamers used to rattle my windows. The East Lancs Railway is 33% owned by Pete Waterman.

binners

The trains run every weekend, all weekend. Sometimes at night too.

East Lancs railway

They have loads of different events. The Santa Express before christmas was brilliant. The girls loved it! They have Thomas the Tank engine weekends. Normally on bank holidays

Oh… and the Trackside bar on the station at Bury is a fine pub with a massive selection of beers. But obviously, that won’t be of any interest, as you’ll be coming for the trains

I really do love seeing these chug past all weekend 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Surely diesels chug, kettles chuff?

binners

A fair point njee

Anyway Hora… you’d know all this if you ever came to see me. I’m starting to think you don’t love me any more. Its very upsetting 🙁

mintimperial

East Lancs railway

Cor. I had no idea that existed. That’s next Saturday with the boy sorted then. 🙂

joemarshall
    Free Member

It isn’t just boys – our 20 month old daughter will not go any further than the bridge on our road until she has seen at least one ‘choo choo’ go past. Even though beyond it lies the park, the river,and the chip shop,all places she is pretty keen to go to! Fortunately it’s the Midland mainline, so we don’t usually have to wait too long.

Drivers often wave at her, and a couple of times she’s got a nee naw of the horn too!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

symbolic isn’t it – trains into tunnels and all that 🙂

hora
    Free Member

binners the TV-breaking mofo is very funny. Saying that he has an amazing aim. I might take advantage of the Cricket club nearby and kindle the potential I could have had.

traindriver
    Free Member

Children really love those amazing things because it is a small and moving. Aside from that, they can just rarely see a train in person.

dogbert
    Free Member

Little boys? that’s nothing, my brother in law, the green spouting “i’ll save the planet” type who refuses to get a drivers license even after the emergency trip to the hospital last week with the one year old where they had to phone an ambulance even though it really wasn’t warranted twonk of a man has paid thousands to York train museum to learn how to drive a steam train!!!

I think this is warranted:

🙄

redthunder
    Free Member

Me @ 7 on a South West Gas shunter…. awesome toy 🙂

My full size trainset 🙂

http://bristol-rail.co.uk/wiki/Seabank_Gas_Works

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Why are little boys sooo obsessed with trains???’ is closed to new replies.