Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Who is a Barista on STW? hhhhmmmm!
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Folks,

I’m learning to be a Barista and want to know what machine do you use?

I am practicing on my tiny Gaggia Classic at the moment and planning to modify the steam wand later to Rancilio steam wand for better microform.

Go on tell me … been drinking Cappuccino nearly whole day now and grinding beans. D’oh!

😯

thenorthernsmoothie
    Free Member

Hi,

Not a trained barista, but the bar I work in has a Costa concession so I have been trained to use Marissa.

Feisty girl but alright once you’ve tamed her!

chewkw
    Free Member

How much cups do you make per hour roughly?

Is that a rotary or heat exchange type machine?

🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

D’oh! How many … arrrghh … was thinking of how much do you put in the portafilter coffee wise?

😕

thenorthernsmoothie
    Free Member

How many, depends?

If it’s busy then I would say the machine is constant probably anwhere between 20-40 maybe more if you can make them that fast enough.

I’m assuming it’s a heat exchange? (it has 2 steam nozels)

Depending on what coffee they want depends on the amounts. Assuming they are small (+ 1 for every size you go up)
    Latte = 1 shot
    Cappuccino, Americano, Mocha = 2 shots

chewkw
    Free Member

hhmmmmm … 20-40 … rather good I guess.

Rotary is just quieter which I think most commercial machine use. Two steam wands on a commercial machine is common.

I am having a bit of headache at the moment trying to select the right coffee beans and to get the recipe right.

So how long do they need to train you before they release you to pull some shots? I need to budget some spare time learning …

😀

Frankers
    Free Member

Hey Chewkw

You ordered one of those Vario grinders yet??

You mentioned it in a thread I started early in the year

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Not a barista, but a bit of a coffee geek. Got a Gaggia Classic too, which paired with a Mazzer SuperJolly can put out some pretty damn fine shots. Certainly good enough to shame most high street chains.

Beans? Monmouth Espresso blend, usually less than a week old. I’ve found 15g to be about the right dose.

Have you got a bottomless portafilter yet? Makes it really obvious when your technique isn’t spot on…

Never had an issue with the steam wand. I can create pretty decent microfoam without too much effort, so long as I don’t overstretch the milk to begin with.

takisawa2

Wow. I’ve entered a strange world here haven’t I.
    Didn’t know there was so much skill & expertise behind a cup of coffee…!!!
    Interesting reading.

Frankers
    Free Member

takisawa2 – Member
    Wow. I’ve entered a strange world here haven’t I.
    Interesting reading.

Haha

yep this is the alternative to spending 1000’s on biking Paul, get yourself a decent coffee machine and grinder, then laugh at all the poor folks who still use instant 😉

TooTall
    Free Member

There is a difference between ‘skill and expertise’ and ‘g33king and obsessing over it’. JE has just demonstrated one of the furthest reaches of that particular galaxy.

thenorthernsmoothie
    Free Member

So how long do they need to train you before they release you to pull some shots?

I think I had about an hours training with a representative from Costa. However I’m a bit fussy when it comes to making coffee and I’ve made sure I can make a decent cappuccino.

Fresh coffee all the way, hate instant!

ransos
    Free Member

With no training whatsoever, I invariably make a better espresso or capuccino than those from the High street. I think that says more about them than me! I use a Gaggia classic and Dualit burr grinder. Coffee is fairtrade organic from Brian Wogan.

One good tip about the Gaggia: due to the way the thermocouple works, the steam for frothing gets too cold at the end of the cycle, just before the boiler switches back on, and then you have to wait for it to warm back up. The trick is to start frothing just before the “ready” light goes on (about 30 seconds after you press the switch)this keeps the boiler on as you froth, so the steam never gets cold.

IanS
    Free Member

Re the temperature thing, I fitted a PID temperature controller to my Santos. It keeps it to .2′ tolerance and no guessing re temps. Obsessive? Maybe, but worth it. Quite an upgrade to the smaller machines.

Good, fresh roasted, beans and a big grinder are the other musts. It’s all just practice from there.

chewkw
    Free Member

Frankers: “Hey Chewkw

You ordered one of those Vario grinders yet??

You mentioned it in a thread I started early in the year.

No, I ended up ordering Anfim Best (a stepped grinder) with a doser which is far better for £302 (inc VAT and postage).

The Vario is Not very suitable for espresso as commented by people who bought it. So better stick to the tried and tested such as Anfim Best.

Apparently the grind quality for Anfim Best is on par if not better than Mazzer Mini and the doser is considered to be one of the best. I have been trying it on two different beans at the moment and so far so good. Bought mine from Anfim UK.

I am still trying to make the milk into “silky paint” like texture. It’s more like “disturbed” milk with bubbles at the moment.

😯

teaandbiscuits
    Free Member

🙂

/runs away giggling

Frankers
    Free Member

I’m after a machine that will switch between fine-medium-course as also like pourover and french press coffee, so was hoping the Vario would suit me.

nickc

There isn’t. It’s just beans and hot water. The rest is smoke and mirrors.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

No, but I make good coffee with my cafetiere, and I know the difference. When I get rich, I’ll have a proper coffee machine though(you know, with the boiler).

As 83C is supposed to be the best water temperature for making water, you’d think there’d be kettle made that would boil to this – or at least have inbuilt thermometer.

uplink
    Free Member

As 83C is supposed to be the best water temperature for making water, you’d think there’d be kettle made that would boil to this

It’d only work at altitude 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s probably more barristers than baristas on here.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Is this poncy confee making for people who’ve run out of money to spend on esoteric hi-fi systems? 🙂

zaskar
    Free Member

I had to read this twice I thought he was studying LAW!

fontmoss
    Free Member

my brother maintains that most kettles dont actually hit 100 degrees anyway, he insists on holding the button after it tries to switch itself off to get the water hotter.

(for tea not coffee btw)

Russell96

Second JonEdwards, the bottomless portafilter is great for watching to see if your tamp/grind is spot on or not.

chewkw
    Free Member

Frankers: “I’m after a machine that will switch between fine-medium-course as also like pourover and french press coffee, so was hoping the Vario would suit me.”

In that case Vario is suitable as it is easier to switch between different grind setting. I might have one too if I run my own cafe … one day.

zaskar: “I had to read this twice I thought he was studying LAW!

LOL! I nearly chocked on my drink FFS!

Mind you knowing how to operate the machine does not guarantee producing good coffee drink put it this way.

Three week ago I bought a Latte and it was the worst coffee I tasted and paying nearly £3 for it. Damn! They even got a big machine and proper grinder but the drink I was served could not even compare to my cheapo set up.

I am also researching for a group 1 commercial machine at the moment with budget not more than £2k. A bloody headache.

🙁

chewkw
    Free Member

Russell96: “Second JonEdwards, the bottomless portafilter is great for watching to see if your tamp/grind is spot on or not.”

Yes, am thinking of getting one of those at the moment to see my skills but steam wand first.

Bought two other different coffee beans today … hmmm …

Still learning to do latter art.
    😳

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Who is a Barista on STW? hhhhmmmm!’ is closed to new replies.