• This topic has 28 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by core.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Which rims? (Merlin build)
  • core

Thinking of having a merlin wheel build on Hope Pro2’s:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/wheels/mountain-bike-wheels/sale-wheels/handbuilt-hope-pro2-evo-wheel-offer-26.html

But which rim should I go for? Going on an aluminium hardtail (probably change to steel in time), riding natural trails and trail centres, nothing too extreme or dh like. 15st/210lb rider.

So of those options which would be best for me?

Not a weight weenie or xc racer, just want something reliable, strong, and if it’s light that’s a bonus.

Wozza
    Free Member

XM719, tyres go on and off easily (assuming you’re running tubes) proper strong, not daft heavy.

Do just fine up here in the Lakes.

Edit: Bought mine from Merlin too, they’re built perfectly.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d just go for some Crest rim Hope Hoops. Can be had for around 275. Don’t know why you’d pay more for these.

tomd
    Free Member

Don’t know why you’d pay more for these.

Because he says he’s 15st and seems to value reliability over shaving off a few grams?

Hope hopes with stans flows would be worth a look if you can find a deal. Stands Arch EX also worth a look, slightly lighter but still plenty strong.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I like Wtb rims. They’re the most accurate I’ve built with and they do tubeless ready.

However the pre built hope / stans combination is available all over the place and apparently you can’t go wrong with stans.

having said that I’ve had good results with several sets of mavic rims too.

jairaj

To answer the OP’s question directly: From the list on the page you linked to, either one of the Mavic options, if you don’t mind the extra weight the 719 will be stronger but they are both more than up to the job. The other rims while good, are aimed at the weight weenies or XC racers. Not sure how durable they’d be on a 15stone person?

But also as said, Hope Hoops can be had for £275. A Stans Arch Ex should save weight and still be strong enough and be durable. I am 14stone and been running Crests for ages and they have been fine.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Crests are plenty strong enough for trail riding as many on here will testify. They are not lightweight xc rims.

core

The deal on Merlin isn’t as good now as it was, they were £280 before, but the discount’s changed….

So who does the best deals on Hope/stans combo’s – I can’t seem to find these £275 offers?

unklebuck
    Free Member

Being only ever so slightly lighter I know exactly the problem you’re having with striking a balance between weight and strength.

For what it’s worth the Crest I’ve got on the rear of my main bike is in dire need of replacement after less than 12 months. While it’s still bearably straight and round I would have expected better after time I’ve had it. The killer has been the cracks between the spoke holes in the well of the rim.

I had a 719 do the same but that took more than 3x the riding to get to the same state.

I’d say 719’s if you’re going with that offer (Merlin’s wheels are pretty solid), or Arch Ex (or even Flow, if you break wheels) Hope Hoops if you can find them on offer somewhere.

core

Hmmm, so much conflicting advice everywhere, I’ve found so many old threads & reviews my head’s fried now!

Arch EX sounds like a reasonable compromise, but possibly limits tyre width?

Flow might be good, slightly heavier & stronger, but cheaper, and wider?

Also depends if I go tubeless – I don’t particularly want to, (got new forks with maxle, that’s why I want new wheels), but running a stans rim with tube may negate weight benefits?

Hmmmmm…..

Too many options

unklebuck
    Free Member

What tyres are you thinking of running? Off the top of my head 719’s are narrower than Arch’s but as long as you don’t go silly wide either will be fine. I’ve used 2.25 Schwalbe tyres on Mavic 717’s before and I’ve not ended up crashing in a ball of fire.

It is very easy to get caught up in other peoples preferences for tyres and rims!

core

2.2 – 2.25 tops probably as not doing anything very extreme.

Think I’ll ring a couple of places tomorrow

wl
    Free Member

Very impressed with tubeless 2.2 Rubber Queens on Stans Arch EX. Superb weight and taking plenty of rocky hammer on my Five.

Superficial
    Free Member

The main difference between Flows and Arches is that the Flows are significantly wider. Strength/stiffness issues aside, the Flows give a better tyre profile, making it harder to burp tubeless tyres.

I’ve just gone for Flows on my hardtail, having had them on my full sus for 2 years with no problems. On the full sus at least I could probably go for something lighter but I like the wider tyre profile, and on a hardtail I think the extra strength is probably a good idea. (I’m 12st by the way).

FOG

I have had the old Arches on XT hubs for 6-7 years now and they have been on a succession of bikes and are still pretty straight but getting a bit tatty so was thinking of going Arch EX as the best follow-up to a class act.

winch
    Free Member

Flow EX for the extra width. The extra volume really helps to soften things up at the back of a hardtail and like superficial says, it makes them harder to burp or roll tyres off the rim.

nstrachan
    Free Member

im a bit lighter than you but considering that sort of cash on wheels just now.

Merlin build is sitting at number one and i’ve been looking at the Arch for a lighter wheelset.. but if i am to go tubeless in the future i’d prefer the flow.

You might find wiggle do a wee cheeky 20% discount code that bring the hoops down to 260 at somepoint.

Wozza
    Free Member

Bit of extra info, i’m about 14 stone. My XM719s are merlin made on Hope Pro2s. I’ve just had a week clattering round Les Arcs with 2.5″ tyres and it’s had no affect on them at all. Best wheels i’ve ever had.

I’m not trying to call down Flows, the other lads wheels all held up just fine too, the major downside being when they got a pinch flat they had to use the big metal tyre lever to get the, quote “mother f*****s”, off.

Mavics you can get on and off by hand. You’ll be pleased with that when it’s raining sideways and you get a puncture. 🙂

pjm84
    Free Member

Not sure I would go with Crests.

These rims are not inspiring confidence on my All Mountain 29er. Just don’t think they are man enough for the job and my 16.5 stone.

jekkyl

I’m 15stone and had wheels off merlin, I had the stans Arch ex over the flows coz the flows have a wider width so can’t accomodate skinny slicky tyres that I like to use from time to time.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m not trying to call down Flows, the other lads wheels all held up just fine too, the major downside being when they got a pinch flat they had to use the big metal tyre lever to get the, quote “mother f*****s”, off.

That’s not been my experience with Flows (With a selection of Maxxis and Schwalbe tyres, I’ve always been able to get them off without any mechanical assistance). Were they using (unnecessary) rimstrips maybe?

I’ve had those sorts of problems with DT rims, though.

core

Wozza, presume you’re running tubes?

Kryton57

If anyone’s spotted Arch Ex on Hopes around £260 – let me know please?

Just out of interest, what’s the weight crest vs arch ex on hopes? Need to beat my current 1700g Black Flags….

Bazz

From that list XM719, i’ve a set of Merlin buit wheels with these rims on XT hubs and they have been utterly faultless, best wheels i’ve ever owned.

core

Think it’s going to be 719’s – but front one this month, and rear again (no better off buying together) to sneak them by her indoors, got busted on the forks already!

She didn’t think £240 delivered for reba’s was cheap, stupid woman!

honourablegeorge

Hope Hoops with Arch EX from Merlin or Wiggle will be far better value

HermanShake
    Free Member

I have 719 on Pro 2 hubs and they’re great but I’d like more capacity for a larger tyre to square things off a bit. When I have the funds I’ll be looking to get some Flow Ex on Pro 2 Evo.

Before you commit to the 719s consider the restriction to tyre choice. They’re fantastic rims but the Arch Ex may offer more flexibility in terms of tyre width being 21mm and also have the bead socket thingy bob should you shun the tube. They also weigh less which is a bonus.

Wiggle has Arch Ex Hoops at £290, being the Evo you’d get stainless bearings and an easy peasy axle swappability for the rear. 719 on Pro 2 at Merlin would be over £300, arch ex would be getting close to £320.

Wozza
    Free Member

Yeah, i’m on tubes. I run 2.35 old type Bontrager XR4s on them. They measure up about 2.5-2.6! Never had any trouble with the way they sit on the rim or folding in harsh corners.

core

I know Merlin are keen to sell the Mavic’s, but their guy reckoned he’d go Mavic over Stans any day, better, more reliable rims he said, my lbs agree too…..

I think maybe people talking down Stans is just them being a bit newer/cheaper & a fear of the unknown thing???

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Which rims? (Merlin build)’ is closed to new replies.