Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Which 6' Light duty DH bike for a midget?
  • tomhughes46

Evening all.

Thinking about replacing my Norco B Line with something that pedals/rolls a bit better. I quite like the idea of a VPP style design, I don't like Konas or single pivot bikes, even with a brake arm. Thinking something like a Six Point, Mythic Rune, DeVinci Hektik/Frantik (maybe). The main issue is it needs to be suitable for someone 5'1" so 'proper' DH bikes have no standover. Would build it up with Domains (currently @ 160mm), M4s, probably Flows and use it for messing about in the woods, uplift days and maybe the alps.

Are there any other 'vertically challenged' people with similar suggestions*?

Cheers

*"Grow a bit" isn't gonna happen

mamadirt
    Free Member

Intense Slopestyle (or Tracer if you want to go a little lighter and less slack). Standover is always going to be an issue though with 160mm forks (although an internal reducer headset does buy you a little more space).

jam-bo

A dwarf I know gets on well with an intense SS.

dropoff

Mrs Dropoff currently has an XS Giant Reign for all of those duties and she's tiny.
    Ps MamaDirt Hows the build going.

tomhughes46

Hmm. Hopefully I'll win tonight's lottery, not sure I can stretch to £1500+ for a frame!

Thanks though, will keep scouring Ebay…

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

The mythic rune isnt really a dh bike tbh.

A mate of mine folded his good and proper…

mamadirt
    Free Member

dropoff – Member
    Ps MamaDirt Hows the build going.

Fantastic! I love it to bits 😛 . Getting ridden more than my Tazer at the mo'.

Dylan08
    Free Member

please drop me an email mate

smithy7886@yahoo dot com

🙂

juiced
    Free Member

old shape heckler in small? Mine flies down cwmcarn ( although I haven't been for a longtime now)

tomhughes46

Hmm

One at a time…

Mamadirt, what's that standover like on that Stinky? Not that I like them but…

1HH: Yes, I know, but I weigh about 55kg kitted up and to be honest don't drop/gap 'cos I'm a wimp.

Heckler is a bit steep, and single pivot?

Dylan08 – moi?

juiced
    Free Member

yep just read that.

dave_aber
    Free Member

I'm about 5' 2" and get on fine with a SC Nomad (Small, obviously!). Probably similar to your B-Line around the place, but for what it is it climbs really well and can't be faulted on the going down bits.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Small Nomad, Intense SS, Commencal Supreme mini DH or older Supreme 6, Cove G Spot, Turner RFX, Giant Reign or Faith, and don't discount a 15" Orange Blood on amount of travel alone. It's 5" but rides like a 6" bike, is slack enough, and tough.

tomhughes46

I thought about G spot, but CRC cheap ones are only in a 19 🙁

tomhughes46

"don't discount a 15" Orange Blood on amount of travel alone"

Isn't it single pivot? Having struggled with Les Gets braking bumps last year I think active under braking is important!

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Likage actuated. In principle, it's the same as the Commencal or some versions of the RFX or G Spot.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

06 SX trail might be a good option too.

tomhughes46

Hmmmm, I like my DW link and would rather something like this, or the Horst link on the Norco seems to be pretty good. I'm sue that other people can cope, but I saw some people in the Alps struggling with braking bumps and less active suspension, so would rather something more active – I need all the help I can get

GavinB

I'm biased as I have one, but IH 6Points are dirt cheap at the moment. DW linkage and as ridden by Mr Hill on lt DH courses. Get a small one, complete bike for peanuts atm.

tomhughes46

Indeed, I have a Mark three, and love it. I think a 6.4, then sell all the bits and rebuild it is the way to go, but I get paid three monthly (next week) so am considering all my options before blowing all my cash. Looking for a cheap Reign X too. The lack of spares and warranty on a bike that's gonna get ridden DH is a worry

juiced
    Free Member

improve your riding skills?

mikey74
    Free Member

Holy crap hippy: How did he do that? I have a Rune and have used in at Cwm Carn and the Whistler bike park without problem. I would say it is a perfect mini-dh bike. I have never heard of any breaking like that.

Has your mate contacted Banshee about it?

tomhughes46

"improve your riding skills?"

Not a bad idea, but huge braking bumps on 24" wheels with 140mm travel was BRUTAL. Esp. when it's lifted and you are doing many runs in a day for 2 weeks.

mamadirt
    Free Member

tomhughes46 – Member
    Mamadirt, what's that standover like on that Stinky? Not that I like them but…

31.5" measured in the centre of the top tube with 160mm forks . . . so non-existent for me then (hence the quirky seat angle so's I can bail out off the back) – I'm 5'2" btw . . . but I'm a sucker for Konas and it's nice and short (21" actual TT). I'd love to try an Orange Blood but the toptube is pretty long (yes I do go into bike shops armed with a tape measure – I'm that sad).

tomhughes46

MD: Thanks. I Think I'd struggle, don't want to squash the 'two veg' if I need to put a foot down on lumpy ground! I appreciate people say it's not a problem but with a 27"ish inside leg, my mk3 is the limit of what I can cope with, TT length is less of an issue, although I have a short stem.

I still have an aversion to single pivots. My friend has a minxy and she was struggling in Les Gets.

GW
    Free Member

24" wheel Brooklyn SR6

mamadirt
    Free Member

No veg problem here 😉 but might be worth you looking at the more recent Konas as they have a curved top tube. This Chumba XCL looks pretty damn nice too.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I'll second the small Heckler Mk1. Cheap and great.

lyons
    Free Member

I have a small mongoose khyber with dhx5 air shock. It rides really nicely the one time I actually rode it… Too small for though. Six and a half inches of trVel, and can be built to be a light all mountain bike, or I've even seen them runn with boxxers etc… I only want 240 for it too…

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Watch Sam Hill on Earthed 5 if you want to know how to deal with braking bumps. He just took a clean line down the inside, cross rutted, and hit the berm at the bottom nice and high going in, and exited fast and smooth.

Think about water when you choose lines. if it's rough, the water will crash through it. If it's smooth, the water will flow freely.

Braking bumps are caused by poor technique, not poor suspension designs.
    Brake jack can be used to your advantage if you know how it works.
    You can drag the rear brake a little, long before getting to a bend to slow you down and make the rear end squat. Then let off before you get into the turn and you'll automatically weight the front wheel and generate grip thru the turn.
    Then it's smooth and fast. You need some balls to pull it off 1st time, but it's easy after you got it dialled.
    And the best bikes to do this on…….. single pivots.
    Watch any fast motorcycle racer. They all do it. And the skills transfer to MTB.

tomhughes46

"Braking bumps are caused by poor technique, not poor suspension designs."

I'm sure this is true but by the time I got to Les Gets some tracks were like a stair case

tomhughes46

Lyons: can you send some pics to mr_sceptical AT hotmail dot com.

I'm slightly scared of Mongooses because my friend's Teocali keeps falling apart and the freedrive thing looks like all the disadvantages of single pivot only with 127 bearings to wear out but that about £1000 cheaper than the IH I want!

Will it come with anything else (seat post, headset etc.) How much is postage (I'm in Devon)

tomhughes46

"24" wheel Brooklyn SR6 "

Awesome bike but trying to get away from 24s, don't roll so well and tyre choice is limited

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

I can ride a hardtail down a staircase. Man up!

lyons
    Free Member

Hi tom, I understand the freedrive system to work quite differently to a standard single pivot… May be wrong though. And yes it would come with a mongoose seatpost, and a fsa Internal reducerheadset. I can get pics for tomorrow if that is ok? Postage would be included…

si-wilson
    Free Member

Chumba XCL is a tough little frame and the XS is tiny! It will run 160mm no problem too, very tough but not a true DH bike though.

tomhughes46

Lyons: Ok, I'll have a better look at the geometry tomorrow. The one here

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-mongoose-khyber-elite-frame-with-fox-dhx50-price-drop-bargain-215pounds

Implies it's too big, but I'll have a closer look. For that money it might be ideal. Pics would be appreciated.

Cheers

lyons
    Free Member

Mr skyline, I think you are just trying to mamke a point, where there is no point to make… D

br
    Free Member

Christ Tom you must be small, as my 11 year old runs a B-Line.

juan
    Free Member

Kona old school stinkies, or something like a commencal mini DH/ meta 66

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Which 6' Light duty DH bike for a midget?’ is closed to new replies.