Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • which 1 and why on one or santa cruz chameleon
  • mollski
    Free Member

ok my bro is building up an on one many thanks to every body on here for there help and photos,now ive sold my 29er,im not sure weather to go for an on one 456 slacker or santa cruz Chameleon ,i will be running 140 pikes up front my heart says santa but my head says on one ? which one and why please?

snaps
    Free Member

Easy choice but then I'm probably a bit biased!
    I also considered the Sanderson Soloist as well before buying this.

GW
    Free Member

Chameleon but wind the forks in to 100mm!

mollski
    Free Member

snaps whats it ride like?

Northwind

Have you tried either? Considered an Mmmbop for £154 from CRC? Not exactly the same thing by any means but in the same ballpark and a fraction of the cost of a Chameleon, and much lighter than an SS.

RealMan
    Free Member

456 is cheaper, but I'm assuming much heavier.

Chameleon has a slightly annoying EBB.

ianv
    Free Member

You could go with your head AND your heart and get a second hand Chameleon.

The old model before the EBB looks better IMO and is a great bike.

mollski
    Free Member

realman whats wrong with ebb then?

RealMan
    Free Member

Well its probably the best design I've seen. But EBBs are a flawed design. They will never work flawlessly IMO.

The chameleons is the best because it does what its supposed to do and is easy to use – you won't have any problems with it. But some of them do creak a little. Mine creaked loads and it got a bit annoying. I think its stopped now, or I've just learned to tune it out.

mollski
    Free Member

:cry:ok no probs at all,no on one guys then??

hora
    Free Member

Slacker as in you mean Summer Season? The summer season is a gimmick that never really worked in practice IMO. Its just that bit too slack for everyday mixed riding.

No idea on the newer Cham but the older one is a dream- it really flatters and makes you feel like your finding little nuggets of style and lines even though you are a crap rider!
    A medium Chameleon is like sex compared to a Summer Season. Its just too slack for all day stuff and annoying even on slight climbs IMO. The Cham feels responsive, direct, whippy' and did I say flattering to the crap riders like me?? 😀

mollski
    Free Member

sorry i mean summer season hora

snaps
    Free Member

I test rode the Inbred 20", Soloist 20" & Chameleon in Large but ended up with an XL (I'm 6'1")
    It rides nice but I've only been out half a dozen times properly offroad, I've had zero problems with the EBB but they only need cleaning if they start to creak.
    I might try a lighter fork up front & sell the coil Pikes but the rest is just as I want it – very happy although it takes a bit of getting used to after over 10 years of full sus riding!

hora
    Free Member

snaps….I'm 6ft1.5 and loved my MEDIUM 😆

RealMan
    Free Member

Well you could look at the mmmbop like someone else said. I sometimes look at that frame and wonder what I could've done with the extra £450 or whatever. The chameleon is better, but £450 better?

Or I could sell you my chameleon, and go buy myself a mmmbop…

mollski
    Free Member

snaps im 6ft 1 the guy at the bike shop said large mind you thats all he had in stock,what did you think to the on-one?

xc-steve
    Free Member

Get a Chameleon.. because their badass and I own one!

RealMan
    Free Member

I'm 5"7(ish) and ride a medium. Sometimes it feels too big, but it climbs fantastically, and it feels perfect on descents once the saddle is dropped.

snaps
    Free Member

The Large SCC I test rode had a 110mm long stem & I needed to move the saddle right back to get it to comfy on it, my XL has the saddle in the center & a 90mm stem but still need a 400mm seat post almost @ max so I'm sure the Large would have been wrong for me.
    The On one was OK but I felt it was a bit bargain basement if you know what I mean.

nickc

Chameleon but wind the forks in to 100mm!

waste of a frame.

My Cham (and it's EBB) has been flawless for the last 2 years. perfect do-it-all bike

mollski
    Free Member

:lol:sounds sweet xc steve

mollski
    Free Member

snaps what bars and front tyer you running size make etc?are your bars gold?? 8)

Lucas
    Free Member

I'm 6ft 3 and I've got a XL chameleon (Year 2000!!) i originally got a large, rode it home and then took it straight back as it was far too small, Hora if you are 6ft1.5 and rode a medium for XC then you've either got dwarf legs and a massive torso or a bike that's far too small. I have my 400mm seat post at max.

mollski
    Free Member

:cry:im not sure what size to go for being 6ft 1 i always ride a 19inch frame with a 90mm stem seat right back i do like to throw it around a bit,the guy at the shop told me a xl will be like rideing a gate shiting it here has to what size to order 😳

hora
    Free Member

Lucas it felt brilliant. Saying that I bought a 18" 456- felt underwhelmed. Bought a 16" 456 and loved it.

snaps
    Free Member

Bars are mid rise Easton EA70 & Maxxis HR 2.35 60a Lust
    Pimped up with blue Hope bits & brake hose.

mollski
    Free Member

nice 1 snaps what did it cost to build ?

Lucas
    Free Member

My wife a 16inch inbred and its like riding a BMX for me.

Mollski – find someone near you with a large or XL and get at least a sit on it. The shop I got mine from had a large in stock, assured me it was the right size, built it up and I couldn't even get the seat at the right height. It was ace for riding down steps though……but would have been crap for climbing on.

snaps
    Free Member

Difficult to say as most of the finishing kit was from the spares box!
    The Rohloff rear wheel came from a full sus that I was selling for parts.
    The frame was new £520, forks from the classifieds £150, front wheel from LBS £90, brakes from Ebay £141
    I recon you could build a nice one for under a grand if you chose second hand parts carefully.

mollski
    Free Member

lucas theres nobody round by me got 1 they all have cove hand jobs or yeti,the guy at the shop i think is just trying to shift it i think ,and if i bought it from there its tuff shit if its the wrong size he said i need large 😕

XC_PK
    Free Member

Second hand Chameleon I hear you thinking! What size frame would you need? Im selling my medium black Cham (It looks just like Realman's up near the top) and it comes with a tarty red CK headset 😛 Only selling because I moved all the bits onto my Ti frame. I'd let it go for £250 posted if you are interested.

mollski
    Free Member

shyt what a bummer i need large or xl,can you weld a bit in here and there for me quick can of spray and we are sorted,thanks for the offer bud 8)

XC_PK
    Free Member

I thought a 16"(medium on SC website) would be too small for me. I usually ride 18"s which would put me on a large. I saw a guy with a L at Swinley and I could bearly get on it!! Glad I got the Medium in the end. Where abouts are you based?

mollski
    Free Member

west midlands bud thank you

xc-steve
    Free Member

@mollski nah don't want to go over kill on the gold! 😆

It's a Large and I'm about the same size as you, have ridden it in the alps and raced it in both standard xc and marathons my point being its never felt to large or to small (and also testament to the bikes abilities)

With regards to the wind your forks down to 100mm comment would say that's a bit too much but long travel forks on a hard tail are bit too pointless for standard xc use and take away the handling forks wound down to 120 seem the perfect balance imo (after experimenting at difference heights etc)

anotherstan
    Free Member

just to add a bit of balance to the discussion…

…i run a 456 with air pikes which i think is excellent 😉

singlespeedstu

Well its probably the best design I've seen. But EBBs are a flawed design.

Tries not to laugh too hard at the above.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I have a 16" 456SS and love it. Having said this I'd change for a Chameleon now.

mollski
    Free Member

done deal got a white lizard comeing weds 😆

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘which 1 and why on one or santa cruz chameleon’ is closed to new replies.