Home Forums Chat Forum where to stay or not to stay in paris

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • where to stay or not to stay in paris
  • voodoo_chile
    Free Member

Any tips or advice on Paris stay ,where not to go etc
    Thanks

konabunny
    Free Member

If it’s one or two of you, would recommend this place on Airbnb: http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1262625
    A funky part of town withou being dirty or scuzzy

I think there was another thread on this where people had other airbnb recommendations.

Don’t stay anywhere near a main line train station.

Northwind

That place in Taken.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@voodoo – what’s the purpose of your visit and if it’s tourism what are you particularly interested in seeing and are you interested in visiting anything outside the city ?

saleem
    Free Member

Hotel Costes is where you want to stay.

jools182
    Free Member

I stayed at the adagio in montmatre

I liked the area, it feels not too polished and not too dirty

I have been told it’s bad for pick pockets, although we never had any problems

chrisr1983
    Free Member

Avoid Nanterre like the plague. I always stay near the La Defense business district as it’s a little cheaper than Central Paris but with good links into town. I think the hotel is the Mercure La Defense. Avoid any of the campanile hotels – they’re just awful.

trail_rat
    Free Member

depends on budget and what you want but we ended up in a 2 star called le mont dore in the montmatre region-

suited us fine – was cheap , we were there to do the touristy things and see the tour de france not spend time in our room – infact we came in at 1am every night and were gone again by 3.

The bathroom/towels and bed linen were all top notch clean. the decor and state of repair – a little run down.

3 nights accomodation for 2 in paris for 150 quid on tour de france weekend.

as for pickpockets – you can spot them a mile off mostly – they were going round the eifel tower when i was there – with one guy in a monkey suit – accomplaces were dotted around the place looking and moving in. Basically ignore distractions and keep your stuff under wraps. – that said im a scotsman who works in africa and has survived a nigerian airport they would have to be good to get anything out of me – tighter than a ducks arse.

DrJ

Think I once stayed in Mercure La Defense. Checked out in a hurry and forgot a leather jacket in the wardrobe. Went back a couple of hours later and it was gone. Or maybe it wasn’t Mercure. Anyway. I wouldn’t stay at La Defense myself. Worked there a couple of years and it’s a pretty soulless place, and can be dangerous after dark. Or before dark if you stray too far.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@voodoo – if you answer the question we can help you better. I am currently spending 3 weeks a month in Paris. My 2 cents

Monmarte, parts of this area are a bit dodgy for sure. My daughter stayed in a decent hostel near there with 2 friends and they had a good time with convenient metro access and its fairly easy to get to/from Gare du Nord if you’re arriving by eurostar. If it’s a hostel you want I’ll get the name.

Central Paris, you can look at Best Western chain, they have some pretty decent places not too pricey. One at Trocadero has rooms with a view of the tower (you can request when booking). Hotels around St Germain area are more expensive but it’s a popular neighbourhood for moderately well healed tourists.

La Defense, its a business district, also has some large social housing apartment blocks next door so has potential to be a little spicy.

Have a look on the hotel booking sites and see what takes your fancy

MadBillMcMad

following the same question I posted a while back we ended up here[/url]

I then followed up with where to eat & just around the corner this was reccomended Bistro Saint Ferdinand – amazing value for money & true high class dining.

We also had a great meal at the Maison Rouge, 5 minutes from the Sacre Coeur but far enough to be away from the noisy masses.

konabunny
    Free Member

“we came in at 1am every night and were gone again by 3.”

You were sleeping less than two hours per night? Wtf

trail_rat
    Free Member

good spot. should have said 8 😉 – breakfast from the patissarie in the park in the sun 😀

– although some folk i know would have been in by 5 and out again by 8 im sure 😉

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Wild camp in the Bois de Boulogne… At least you’ll not be lonely 😈

nickjb
    Free Member

You can overnight here if you are feeling adventurous: Catacombs

plumber
    Free Member

Hôtel Villa Margaux
    Sat 19/Oct/2013 – Wed 23/Oct/2013
    23 Rue Henri Monnier, Paris, 75009 France

I stopped at this place last week and it was very nice actually – close to 2 metro stations and lots of ‘le boris bike’ stations

I loved the area personally, just far enough away from the main pigalle metro but loads of decent cafes around – dirty dicks cocktail bar literally just around the corner is nice for a few hours

Unless you’re a massive monet fan then don’t bother with the orangerie – its really very poor

get a museum pass from the tourist info – means you don’t have to queue like most people at the louvre and musee d’orsay – if that’s your thing

Café Angelina – for the best hot chocolate and cake you can get – its famous and justifiably in this case

Catacombs is worth a visit, walk up the Eiffel tower rather than lift

voodoo_chile
    Free Member

Jambalaya , football purposes mate bit of touristy things etc …was looking at Montmartre to be honest seems to be a lot of hotels around there

jambalaya
    Free Member

@voodoo – ok, PSG play quite far from Monmarte, I know stadium as Stade Francais play rugby next door. Yes lots of hotels and hostels around Monmarte, as I said my daughter (19) stayed there and she found it very convenient for metro etc. I’ll get the name as an option for you.

voodoo_chile
    Free Member

Thanks jambalaya top advice ,also metro ticket go for a ten ticket info or a 2 day one

voodoo_chile
    Free Member

Thanks jambalaya top advice ,also metro ticket go for a ten ticket info or a 2 day one

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hostel Montclair Hostel link Might be a bit too “studenty”

Best Western I mentioned BW Trocadero might be a bit “flash” for a footy weekend ?

If you are going to be up in Monmarte / Sacre Coeur area this place is good and has the typical french feel, bar, good burgers, popular for Brunch on Sunday Cafe Francoeur[/url]

I have to say so far I have not found a good cafe des sports or an area to have a few beers in pre/post match around the stadium. There is a bar opposite the stadium but I suspect it’s shut on football weekends. Must try harder !

10 trip carnet is easy and cheap, you can buy one book and share them with mate. Only €13 I recall so cheap enough to not care about unused tickets. The PITA is that the ticket machines need change I recall, that or queue up.

voodoo_chile
    Free Member

Great tips there thanks

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

I stayed in the music quarter, was quiet with good access to everything, like they said the pick pockets are comically obvious. I was there in the snow and guys were hanging round the underground with long coats,hat and polarised sunglasses.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

had a brilliant night at mama shelter[/url], designed by philipe stark. Really great place – the cocktails flowed nicely too – which they needed to as we had ridden there from london in a day.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘where to stay or not to stay in paris’ is closed to new replies.