Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • When a pie not a pie
  • rogerthecat
    Free Member

Ok, made the pie below – Peppered Mushroom and Stilton with a base and a top, which was nice but which also sparked a debate – what constituent parts are required for it to be a pie.
    I propose a pie should be a filling wholly contained within a pastry casing, anything else is just not a pie.
    Opinions?

nealglover
    Free Member

I think this exact discussion was had no more than two weeks ago 😉

Harry_the_Spider

Wholly contained in my book.

A pot for stew with a puff pastry top masquerading as a pie is the eight worst thing that a man could possibly put in your mouth.

bearnecessities

I’m not really fussed but that lovely looking creation is crying out for some shin beef in it!

eskay

I really don’t care (but would you be happy to share the recipe, it sounds delicious!).

joolsburger
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/pie-definitions-pleae

I think all right minded people agreed that a pie requires a fully enclosed pastry case. Your effort looks superb.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Missed that one! 😳
    But Homity Pie was the catalyst for tonight’s debate.

@eskay
    – here ya go:

Serves 4
    Short crust pastry for the base and top (make your own or use a ready made pack)

1 onion sliced
    500g of button mushrooms
    2 tbsp oil
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    1 tbsp dark soy sauce
    1 tbsp green peppercorns in brine (drained)
    250ml veg stock
    200h Stilton

Gently fry onions until soft, add the button mushrooms, cook until soft
    Add puree and cook for 5 mins
    Add soy sauce, peppercorns and stock – cook until liquid reduced by 50%
    Put into pie disc lined with pastry
    Crumble Stilton evenly on the top
    Put lid on pie and seal around the edges
    Prick breathing holes in lid
    Brush with milk
    Put in a pre heated oven at 200deg for 20 mins
    job jobbed.
    😀

yossarian
    Free Member

Wholly encased or not a pie.

That looks lovely – I have rather a lot of stilton, gorgonzola and some field mushrooms knocking around – time to get cooking.

Stoner
    Free Member

Im keeping schtum.

CountZero

Frankly, if it looks as mouth-wateringly wonderful as rogerthecat’s creation, who cares what it’s called!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    Im keeping schtum.

Just read the thread, justified silence IMO. 😉

eskay

Thanks Rog, I’ll be cooking that this week or next.

grantway
    Free Member

Need Organic meat content

steveh

I’m in New Zealand at the moment, over here steak and cheese is considered an acceptable pie combination!

Gribs

I’d generally agree that to be a proper pie the filling needs to be contained in pastry. However that leaves the problem of Shepherds/cottage/fish pie, non of which have any pastry.

Edric64
    Free Member

In my local pub just a filling with a pastry crust is mockingly called slop n top

D0NK

bit late to the party but

Opinions?

OMG that looks gorgeous, shall put in a request for that, my mrs makes decent pies but doesn’t eat cheese or mushrooms, her loss more for me.

A pot for stew with a puff pastry top masquerading as a pie is the eight worst thing that a man could possibly put in your mouth.

agreed my mum insists on calling her abomination that is corned beef hash with a crust “potato pie”, no, really, it’s not and if you’re reading mum, I don’t rate your mince pies either – tho they are atleast fully encased in pastry

Murray

slop n top

says it all. My pie consumption dropped dramatically when Brewers Fayre went over to “slop n top”. Oh, the joys of working away from home!

weeksy

If it doesn’t have meat in… it’s not a pie… irrespective of how much crust on there top bottom or side.

MEAT !!!

johndoh
    Free Member

Apple pie?

montylikesbeer

cream……………………..ill get my coat

bearnecessities

Why does this lovely pastry creation keep popping up and taunting me?!

Drac

Shepherd’s pie?

JEngledow
    Free Member

In my book a pie requires full pastry, whereas just a pastry top is a cobbler and a shepherds/cottage/fish pie is not a pie (just another quirk of the English language)!

D0NK

Shepherd’s pie?

same as fish and cottage pie, it’s a name not a description. Beef wellington doesn’t contain boots….or 19th century dukes either 🙂
    I like sausage, mash and onion gravy, if I put it all in a dish with the mash on top it doesn’t suddenly become a pie.

saleem
    Free Member

What you’ve made is classed as a pot pie rather than a hand raised pie.

qwerty
    Free Member

z1ppy

Inspired by this I made my own “pot pie”, I used Roger’s recipe but made it a proper pie by adding MEAT!

I present my Beef, mushroom and stilton pie

Beef, mushroom & Stilton Pie by z1ppy2, on Flickr

Don’t forget Nation Pie Day is January 23rd!
    (admittedly this seems to be a US date but I ain’t gunna complain)

bearnecessities

Holy crap I want that pie! Great effort!

brokenbanjo

McDonald’s Apple Pie is not a pie.

I want both the above pies mind. In equal portions. Served with peas, gravy and mustard mash. NOW!

Speeder

Definitely filled – when my then local (Norwood in Leckhampton) first opened up (again) about 5 years ago, it started off with a mostly pie based menu and it was incredible – we’d go in most weeks for something (well we were DINKYs) and I wouldn’t have anything else. FF to last week and a rare night out without the kids, we went back for old times sake and the sole pie on the menu was a beef and wine/ale/something with a puff pastry top. I was distraught.*

* OK maybe that’s a bit strong but I was pretty disappointed.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Top effort z1ppy, pity about the dead cow! 😉

Planning another pie experiment one evening this week. Pics and instructions to follow.

z1ppy

The dead cow was lovely, gunna make another one to throw in the freezer, to use up the stilton (I don’t like manky mouldy cheese but it works with dead cow :mrgreen: ). Cheers for the incentive to make it 😀

anagallis_arvensis

I’m in New Zealand at the moment, over here steak and cheese is considered an acceptable pie combination!

so the kiwis were right!

eatsdirt
    Free Member

Zippy, that has made me properly hungry. If the mash was topped with a good dollop of thick onion gravy, then that would be perfect!

z1ppy

There was gravy too, admittedly just bisto’s best, to supplement the pie filling. Got the last of the pie (1st pic) to finish tonight with mash, some asparagus & more bisto quickness*.

* I do make gravy, having had pointers from the mighty stoner (though his stock is quite low after expressing his frankly embarrassing views on what a pie is), but don’t have any beef stock to make it from

bearnecessities

The vision of these pies has taken up too much of my mind this afternoon; I’m making one next weekend!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘When a pie not a pie’ is closed to new replies.