Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What's up with my brake pads
  • phiiiiil

I seem to be suffering from irritating brake pad oddness:

I put some new pads in; power is a bit rubbish until they've bedded in, from which point they're fine, for the rest of the day and subsequent days if I use it regularly (eg. to work and back every day).

If it stays in the shed for a few days however, When it comes out again it's like the brakes have "bedded out" again – they feel firm but they just don't have much power until I've bedded them in again. Back in the shed it goes afterwards, and the same happens again…

They don't need bleeding, they work fine after bedding them in each time, but they just don't like not being used for a while. Why not?

Yours in puzzlement

Phil

tomhughes46

Do you wash it before putting it away? Or spray aerosols in your shed?

mauja
    Free Member

What type of pads are you using? I don't know why but I've found this happens to me too with sintered pads but not when I run organic pads.

devs
    Free Member

I have this exact same problem on the rear of my 853 with Magura Louise brakes. The front is fine. I think it is contamination of some sort but can't work it out. Could be something on the rotor. Changed the pads and exactly the same thing happened. I cleaned up the caliper and checked for leaks but none were found. It's doing my head in. I have to find a big hill and drag the rear brake down it before I get any power in the rear.

phiiiiil

The bike rarely gets washed unless it's really filthy and with the nice weather hasn't had anything other than oil dripped on the chain for ages, so I don't think it's that.

The shed is too small to do any work in, so anything sprayed is done outside, but I have wondered whether GT85 can drift further and linger longer than I thought it does or whether there's something in the shed evaporating and contaminating the pads or somesuch?

The pads are superstar organic. Great when they work, but I suspect my first approach might be to try something different next time…

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

Happens to me too. Take a few big stops for them to become good again. Don't find it a problem really.

andy7t2
    Free Member

only a guess but could it be the heat in the pads, once you've warmed them up you get better grip. Can't see it being gt85 i'd imagine once your pads are contanimated they won't work the same again

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What's up with my brake pads’ is closed to new replies.