Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • What's the sickest youve ever felt?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

I remember having Gastroenteritis when I was 22, put me out of action for a couple of weeks. I still have a scar from trying to go to the toilet but not having the strength to stand up and collapsing head first into the cistern. Didn’t think it was possible to vomit and crap like I did, I still have intestinal problems as a result 15 years later.

Had chicken pox when I was 33, I spent the best part of 3 weeks in a roasting hot bath to try and nullify the itchiness, which was way worse than it sounds.

Strangely I had hepatitis when I was 10 which kept me off work school for two months but I don’t remember feeling that rough.

iDave
    Free Member

You had a job when you were 10?

loddrik
    Free Member

Ha ha, good spot!

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Blimey you was working at 10 😯

Pneumonia,i thought that was going to be the end of me,Gasping for breath,lost loads of weight very quickly(over 2 stone in a few weeks)could walk about 10ft before being out of breath,started halucinating due to lack of sleep(always coughing),5 days in hospital on a repirator,drugs pumped into me,chest pain was unbearable at times,and i will admit it made me cry due to the pain.

Taff
    Free Member

Mumps. Suffered for two weeks with sickness and diarrhoea and lost just under two stone and didn’t put it back on til now – 6years on. Slept in the toilet most nights Worst illness ever but also very grateful for having it as we discovered afterwards I had thyroid cancer

yunki
    Free Member

physical alcohol withdrawal coupled with dysentery is pretty miserable..

dan1980
    Free Member

Recovering after a cardiac ablation procedure was interesting, massive chest pain, a burning sensation in my groin and the sensation of my heart trying to exit my chest cavity through my rib cage. Second to that was pneumonia, it tingled a bit when I coughed 🙂

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Pneumonia, measles, whooping cough and mumps all at the same time was a bit rough to be honest.

LoCo
    Free Member

septicemia, from an abscess in the my neck, put into emergency surgery and was told afterwards I had had about 24 hours before I would have been dead 😯
    Have a good ‘pirate’ scar on my neck now 😀

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Real flu. Not man flu but proper flu. Lost loads of weight and put me on my ass for two weeks. I didn’t know what day it was.

hughjengin
    Free Member

7 days Post op tonsillectomy was rough for me but I am not trying to compete with people that have been through a lot worse than me, without doubt.

BoardinBob

Typhoid last year

Brutal

RealMan
    Free Member

Drank way too much new years eve on a skiing holiday. New years day was spent vomiting (amongst other things) every half hour or so for about 20 hours.

mrsflash
    Free Member

as above, actual flu. not much fun. I am lucky though and don’t really get ill that often

user-removed
    Free Member

I had a fever when I was about 10 and spent three days thinking I was in a Swallows and Amazons book (according to my mum). In my more lucid moments, the wall of the house next door (which I could see from my bed) grew several human heads which fascinated me – it was utterly horrific but I could not tear my gaze away for hours on end 🙁

donsimon
    Free Member

24 hour (real) flu.
    Gastroentiritis.
    Glandular fever, not exactly according to the doc, but very similar… Lost a huge amount of weight very quickly, more effective than the iDave diet but I wouldn’t recommend it.
    Felt quite queezy after receiving the bill after a bite to eat in The Chester Grosvenor. 😕

BigJohn

I can beat all those..

Paper cut between thumb and 1st finger. Stung for nearly a minute.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I finally cleaned the werewolf ‘drop’ at Cannock – it was like totally sick duuuude!

Markie
    Free Member

Meningitis.

4ndyB
    Free Member

I got some proper sick to the power of rad air once, that’s the sickest I’ve ever felt.

ahh, not quite what you meant…

Apart from squirting fluid out of both ends simultaneously at high velocity due to food poisoning, I guess I’ve been pretty lucky.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Pulmonary vasculitis.

Sats down to 66%. Intensive care.

Thought I was going to die.

I remember seeing a fire extinguisher on the (very fast) way to ICU and thought – “that’s the last fire extinguisher I’ll ever see.”

PUlled through though thanks to the medics and lots of prednisolone.

RustySpanner

1997 Football League First Division play-off Final:
    Crystal Palace 1–0 Sheffield United.

Closely followed by the 2003 Football League First Division play-off Final:
    Sheffield United 0–3 Wolverhampton Wanderers.

By the time of the 2009 Football League Championship play-off Final, I was pretty much numb and didn’t feel anything at all:
    Burnley 1–0 Sheffield United.

yunki
    Free Member

I once indulged in a quick Jodrell Bank whilst watching my sleeping incontinent Nan soil herself..

Dibbs
    Free Member

I had kidney stones once, the consultant said that women that have experienced both say the pain is worse than childbirth.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I once indulged in a quick Jodrell Bank whilst watching my sleeping incontinent Nan soil herself..

I think you are actually dead.

Harry_the_Spider

Dysentery after a trip to Pakistan. Couldn’t fart with confidence for about a month.

Had a bad reaction to a Hep B shot too. That was interesting in a crap-yourself-inside-out fashion.

Got conjunctivitis at the moment. Not sick but utterly pi55ed off.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Alcohol poisoning at uni. Most people lapse into unconsciousness, but I was wide awake and just wanted to die. After that, I swore off drunkenness.

I haven’t had a serious illness, broken bone or visited a hospital yet [crosses everything because at 42, that seems a pretty big run of luck]

sturmey
    Free Member

Appendix op at 12 Ran the 1500m at school sports day with “tummy ache” spent all night in agony parents thought I just had a “tummy ache”. Taken to docs the next morning and projectile vomited over him but with normal temperature and pulse he was not convinced but sent me to hospital just in case. Had my appendix removed the same day apparently just before it burst hence the large scar to remove it. But after all that the sickest part was having to have my just sprouting pubes shaved pre op I was gutted 12 years it had taken and all gone in a few seconds.

CaptJon
    Free Member

neilsonwheels – Member
    Real flu. Not man flu but proper flu. Lost loads of weight and put me on my ass for two weeks. I didn’t know what day it was.

+1

donsimon
    Free Member

I had a reaction to something I ate a couple of years ago. I pretty much stopped breathing. 😯 I couldn’t immediately find the Ventolin and had to go to the car to get some. The strangest thing during the whole episode, which lasted about 20-30 mins from start to finish, was seeing or thinking about several decisions that I had made during my life, not necessarily important ones, just different decisions. All very strange.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Pneumonia bug setting up residence in my throat. Couldn’t eat, drinking was agony, could barely breathe for about 2 weeks. Lost about 3 stone. It did inspire a French doctor to say “Oh la la!” while carrying out the classic lollipop-stick-on-the-tongue-look-down-the-throat test though.

Hit by a car, broken back, right leg shredded, left leg with bruising that was still visible 6 months later and has left a permanent hard-spot in the muscle.

Or, more recently, kidney stones. The above were pretty bad, but the kidney stones might just take it for pure feeling fine one minute, unbearable agony the next. It is worth noting that I was on intravenous morphine for the kidney stones while the broken back, etc. only justified paracetomol… 😯

samuri
    Free Member

Kidney Colic. Give me a gun.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Leptospirosis (also known as Weil’s disease)spent 9 days in an isolation unit as at the time they didnt know what was wrong with me,other than being sick at the start I was away with the fairies for most of it. Scared my parents no end.

Its the last time I’ve been ill for more than 2-3 till now and have been off work since the 4 jan with wierd gut problems

been lucky so far and hope the status stays the same

iDave
    Free Member

It has to be said that I felt pretty sick after following Missy Giove down a 14 mile descent

john_drummer
    Free Member

Drank way too much new years eve on a skiing holiday. New years day was spent vomiting (amongst other things) every half hour or so for about 20 hours.

+1, except for the skiing. no skiiing to be had in Bradford in the mid 80s

either that or ditto sturmey’s appendicitis, minus the 1500m & spewing on the doc. aged 11

j_me
    Free Member

Samuri – I second that, I’ve had one or two illnesses in my time but that certainly is the most most ill I’ve felt. I didn’t know you could actually vomit due to pain.

treefeller
    Free Member

+1 for Leptospirosis, I can still remember mad halucinations 9 years later. And still have painfull calf muscles. Any long term effects for you Mickypies?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I remember seeing a fire extinguisher on the (very fast) way to ICU and thought – “that’s the last fire extinguisher I’ll ever see.”

Absolutely class

Cougar

I was going to say “waking up after a night of passion, in bed next to my sister” but a) Yunki beat me to it and b) I don’t have a sister.

I have two ‘really ill’ moments that spring to mind.

The first was when I was a kid, so memory is hazy. I had tonsillitis and an NHS five-year (or something) waiting list. I was so bad I couldn’t eat solids, could barely swallow liquids, and I’d gone deaf. When I started going yellow, my mum paid for me to be admitted privately. Apparently the doctor’s opening gambit was “why on Earth hasn’t he been brought in sooner?”

On the night of the surgery, my mum stayed in hospital in the bed next to me. At the time I was really concerned as I didn’t understand why and thought she was sick too. Years later, my mum confessed that it was because they were concerned that I might not survive till morning. (From tonsillitis, WTF).

The second was a few years ago, diagnosed with glandular fever. Absolutely kicked seven shades out of me. I remember walking to the doctors a block away from home, and by the time I got there I was too weak to get the door open. I sat on the doorstep for a few minutes to get sufficient strength back to get in.

That was a fun-filled couple of weeks of constant explosions from both ends; sitting on the bog with the wash basin in front of me, trying to work out which was going to go next and whether rocking forwards to the sink or staying put for a minute was the best course of action. I lost two stone in just over a week, and I’m only little to start with.

sangobegger
    Free Member

Swinging a hammer in a tight spot,I smashed it into my nose – now that hurt(and bled)a bit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘What's the sickest youve ever felt?’ is closed to new replies.