Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Whats the shortest time you`ve worked somewhere ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Been working at a place through a agency , just finished my 3rd week and im already looking for other work 🙁
    Whats your shortest time at work before moving on ?

wombat

20 mins 😉

KT1973
    Free Member

One day.

ton

2 days…………..at a bakery.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Two days – it was a two day temp job!

duntmatter
    Free Member

4 hours.

donsimon
    Free Member

1 day, agency work and the tw4ts left me for 6+hours without a break. I would have left sooner and left the machine spewing stuff on the floor, but didn't want a bad reputation with the agency.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

About an hour, door to door canvassing for Kitchen Direct.

**** that for a game of soldiers.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I think at 3 weeks im doing well then 😯
    not sure if i`ll make it 4 weeks ?

project
    Free Member

3 days and the prat refused to pay me

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

14 months.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

1/2 day – temp job, was told it was office work so I turned up in a suit to find loads of others there in jeans, we had to fill envelopes for a massive mail shot. Was a few days work but didn't go back.

Johnridesbikes
    Free Member

I am actually at a 1 day gig for a design firm today, which will be the shortest time I have ever worked… talking of work… I better get on.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

1/2 day also, temp job.

Was told that "some" smoking was aloud in the office, but they failed to mention that every single person was in fact a chain smoker, was worse than being in a pub (pre-ban days).

jmac
    Free Member

90 minutes (felt like 90 hours), all of which were spent watching wafers slowly going past me on a conveyor belt. It was unbelievably dull!

Macgyver

21 years!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

30 minutes!

Got paid for 6 hours though. 😀

fu_manchu
    Free Member

3 months, 6 days. Three more days to go…

Drac

6 hours without a break, how did you cope? FFS!

Anyway about 6 weeks for 2 jobs I was doing at the same time.

headfirst
    Free Member

One day. Picking strawberries ain't as fun as it sounds.

Filthy
    Free Member

About 20mins… agency work driving for a secure shredding company, turned up to work and the vehicle (7.5 tonner) wasn't roadworthy so I refused to drive it, they sent me away and someone else went out in it. Never did get asked to do that one again.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I managed 15 minutes of data entry before walking out.

slowjo
    Free Member

A morning on a legitimate EU scam. The company had a warehouse in the UK and one on Frankfurt (or thereabouts). They had one warehouse full of sugar (in big sacks) and another empty one. They loaded half the sugar onto a fleet of lorries and drove it to the second warehouse. Having done that, they set up a shuttle where sacks were moved from Germany to the UK. Once in the UK we had to unload the lorries, stack them in a corner, then unstack them and take them out to another warehouse (a few yards away) and repeat the process. These sacks would later be collected by the driver who had just delivered them and take them back to Germany and repeat.

By the end of the morning my back was in so much pain and my arms so raw from shifting gritty/sugary sacks about that I told the foreman I had had enough and packed it in. The money was good – this must have been about 1981 and I got £60 for a mornings work.

Northwind

15 minutes, when a "marketing" job turned out to be a door to door salesman job.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

about 25mins – walked in took one look at the place, asked about PPE got told they didn't think it was neccesary. called my missus to explain situation – walked out.

chewkw
    Free Member

3 days and I looked stupid … some sort of "pyramid" door to door sales.

tron
    Free Member

Two or three days I think. It was wrapping UPVC profile (the stuff they make windows out of) in a factory. 12 hour days and it was about 35°C in the factory in November.

yunki
    Free Member

you could measure my shortest employment in hours.. maybe even minutes..

twice.. way back in my callow youth.. both times failing miserably to have the willpower required to be a skivvy on a building site..

djglover
    Free Member

1 day temp job driving a van

Bregante

Six days as a tech engineer for the biggest scheister I have ever met. I Was promised a company car and took the job on that basis. The job was about an hours travelling on public transport. When I turned up – no vehicle and he said I would get it after a trial period. After a but of wrangling he allowed me the use of a clapped out van which broke down three times in the week and stank of cat pee. He also expected me to buy all of my own, quite specialized and expensive tools from him, which he would "deduct" from my wages. When the van broke down on me in the lakes on a Saturday night I had enough and rang him, told him to stick his job where the sun doesn't shine and stayed with mate up there before getting the train home next day, abandoning the van in the middle if nowhere.

duckman

Got shown round the worst paper round in the whole of Scotland.Morning and night for £1.15 (in 1981)approx 6-7000m climbing. Basically went back the next am,picked up huge bag of papers and dumped them round the corner from the newsagents in some bushes. 😳

MrSalmon
    Free Member

A morning in a telesales job, and a few hours at a nightshift painting shelving parts.

uluru
    Free Member

Two days admin work at a devon council through an agency. It wasn't so much the work as the complete lack of it! No internet at work so bored rigid, people who were supposed to give me work seemed to spend the whole day on fag breaks. Might have stuck at it but was offered alternative agency work so jumped at the chance to leave.

When I worked in a factory it wasn't unusual for new starters to leave at first break – 2 hours in.

Cougar

He also expected me to buy all of my own, quite specialized and expensive tools from him, which he would "deduct" from my wages

I had one of those; to add insult to unjury, I forgot that I'd paid for them and returned them as company property when I walked out. It was -years- later when I suddenly remembered.

john_drummer
    Free Member

8 weeks.

45miles each way down through Grenoside into Hillsborough. Get there, ask if there was any work for me, got told "I'm a bit busy, I'll get back to you later". This went on for 4 weeks, then I had an interview at the place I'm at now. 2 more weeks of the above and a second interview at the place I'm at now.

Handed my notice in, got told "you don't have to work the full notice, you can go at the end of the month. Shame as we had big plans for you"
    Really? then why not give me some sodding work to do!?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

6 Hours in a pub kitchen when I was 17. No fag break no workey.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

25 years & still counting, I like my (one & only) job.

locomotive

5 Days. Student holiday job. It was in a warehouse where they cleaned plastic trays that supermarkets get various produce in, the type used to display fruit/veg. It was full of rats, covered in mud/grease, and one lunchtime they had a 'who can wheelspin the forklift the furthest competition'… I got asked to read the football news from the Scum newspaper by a couple of blokes that were illiterate.

I recall that the last day I was there some trays came in that had out of date packets of Bacon in, despite the fact these were supposed to go back to the supermarkets (?) I remember a lad sticking them up his jumper to take home. It was a real wake up call to be honest. I rang up to quit and woman from the temp agency said 5 days was much longer than most students… and for some poor b**tards that was their full time job.

Kevevs
    Free Member

burger king, 2 days.

Stu_N

Almost 10 mins. Chicken processing plant. Didn't even get into the overalls. Wasn't the first of that week's intake to quit either…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Whats the shortest time you`ve worked somewhere ?’ is closed to new replies.