• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by nonk.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What's Carlisle like to live in??
  • djflexure

On the back of the recent whats Lancaster like to live in, thought I’d give this a go. Just seen a job advertised up in Carlisle. I was brought up in the North East and have always loved the Lakes but never visited Carlisle.
    I have a decent job but fed up with high cost of housing in middle England. Could earn the same up there and it would go considerably further. Love the idea of having the Lakes and Borders on my doorstep to ride, walk dog, explore with family etc. Have three kids so so schools are an important consideration. Would have to get off the career ladder as a trade off.
    Any thoughts?

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Imagine Swindon, but without the excellent transport links and a lot more unprovoked ultraviolence.

bungalistic
    Free Member

It’s ok, I used to live there. Good access for most of the north lakes and scotland too. It’s not too rough and easy to stay out of any troubled areas (there aren’t really many).

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Lots of waterside properties going cheap there I’d say

Sim

More of a large town feel than small city. Pretty quiet unless you go down Botchergate on a Saturday night.
    Easy to get to the Lakes and to the motorway. Smells good when McVitties are baking biscuits…

Mackem

I’ve only ever visited, I quite like it. Feels more like a town, has some nice archtecture, some good pubs and in no time at all you are in the countryside. There’s far worse places to live.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

From people I know, it isn’t brilliant. But there are very nice places to live not so very far away (commuting distance). So as a place to get a job I would say it is pretty good.

You could always rent for 6 months and see if you like it before committing anyway 😉

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Never lived there but visited a few times over the years and it seems quite nice. Pretty much like every town of a certain size up and down the country in terms of what it offers regards shops and restaurants but with the cathedral and castle it has a bit of character too.

twosheds
    Free Member

I’d look for somewhere west of Carlisle. 10+ miles takes you around the Wigton area. Keep out of Wigton, there are some great villages nearby and the prices are ok in comparison to the National Park. Nelson Tomlinson secondary school (its in Wigton) is very good, its worth living in the catchment area. You have easy access to the northern fells which are ace for mtb / road biking. I moved over 2 years ago from the NE, wish i did it years ago.

Greybeard
    Free Member

My mother moved there from Scotland after my father died; she says it’s quite well-contained town, reasonable facilities, good for getting out into the Lakes etc. Not so far as she knows particularly famous for its night life (at 86 it’s probably not her scene). Well situated, I would say – right on the M6 and the West Coast main line. Cumbria has strong links to the NE, not sure about Carlisle but in West Cumbria they call each other Marra (which I believe the y do in some parts of the NE).

flatfish
    Free Member

Left there 16-ish years ago after growing up there but i’m back there regular for family commitments.
    Nice enough city(only just, size wise) with plenty of decent facilities, Palace cycles the best bike shop in town for service.
    Like with every town everywhere in this country you’ll get muppets down botchergate, three sheets to the wind wanting a fight at 2am saturday/sunday.
    Botcherby/raffles are the two shonky areas to avoid.
    As twosheds says, nelly thom school is very good(my son is there) but don’t live too far west.
    Rush hour is more like rush half hour.
    HTH

nonk
    Free Member

what about living in the middle betwixt carlisle and newcastle?
    hatwhistle, hexham ?
    grew up that way nice area.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What's Carlisle like to live in??’ is closed to new replies.