Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)
  • What would you pay for a 100% British made frame?
  • Daffy

nick1962 –

Isn’t Reynolds tubing American owned anyway?

….and your point is?

shandcycles
    Free Member

No. it’s not. There’s a Reynolds composites company in the US but it’s a different thang.

compositepro
    Free Member

no but they do take an american companies steel and turn it into tubes

all isn’t as clear cut as the taiwan tube versus the price the poor ol english builders have to buy either

and this taiwan welders is better ,yep at melting welding rods into a useable frame ,that doesn’t make them a good welder there are guys that actually CRAFT things and thats something folks will pay for

We were discussing supply chains the other day you can either be in one or do a lot of stuff yourself straight from the tube mill

woody74

This discussion has been really interesting as it shows that there is interest but only up to a certain price point. It is also great as just from the number of replies people are interested one way or another. We are certainly going to progress with this especially if the economics keep going they way they are. Lots more work to do but hopefully you will hear a lot more in the future.

Thanks everyone

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Woody, you should produce a surveymonkey questionnaire and ask people to complete it, your questions can be much better focused on the info you need rather than forum chatter. I did this for a outdoor clothes range I’m just in the process of launching. A little niche made by me and my daughter.

Shandcycles says some interesting things and I m glad somebody disputed what many of the replies here were saying, price point is the key, what is the tipping point where people will buy british for your product. Does that point work into the economics of your business. A survey could get down to the nitty gritty price .

Good luck fella.

MrSmith
    Free Member

The economics simply don’t work. Where British manufacturers, like Cotic, excel is in the design and development side. The difference between buying a fully developed product aimed at a niche market, and one copied and banged out for a low price.

Really? What about the back end of the bouncy bike that kept snapping and the ‘long travel hardtail’ that wasn’t warrentied for the current marzocchi 130mm forks? I would hardly call them ‘fully developed’

pictonroad

A question:

Does UK made mean steel?

I’m an aluminium aficianado, had steel frames, didn’t really get on. My favourite frame of all time is the GT Zaskar made in the USA. They really built a whole scene around that frame and people were paying for the whole ownership experience which extended beyond just the metal. I know the market was less crowded then.

I do understand the whole British steel look with Cotic, Dialled, On One etc, I’ve had a couple. It just seems the market is already well served for this genre.

I now have a Genesis Aluminium hard-tail, the original question, would I have paid more if it was uk made? hmmm, probably, but to a limit. £600 delivered already faced with UK only made colours so everyone knows.

brant
    Free Member

Woody, you should produce a surveymonkey questionnaire and ask people to complete it

Nonsense. People would just ask for “a faster horse”.

Have the balls and crack on.

MSP

I just lost an hour of my life looking at the Shand cycles flickr stuff

Yeah I am defiantly lusting after those Shand bikes now. Stoater plus really ticks all the boxes for my next bike. Now burnt orange or lichen green hmmmmm.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

agree, there is some truth in that, ask people how much they’d pay and whatever choice you give they’ll select the lowest but … it helped me to understand my price points and functionality that would be important to include.

messiah
    Free Member

Have the balls and crack on.

deviant
    Free Member

Bratty, yes i’d buy that frame.
    £100 and a quality item?….sounds good, couldnt care less if it was made with child labour.

Here’s an idea, why not get the prison population to weld frames in this country?…labour costs would be virtually non existent and the crims would learn a skill.

Macavity
    Free Member
Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘What would you pay for a 100% British made frame?’ is closed to new replies.