Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What tyres for lakes? early March
  • robbo1234biking

Heading up there for a week with the family. Going to do Grizedale with my Dad and Brother in Law possibly Whinlatter and some local routes from the house (Grasemere) so possibly along the coffin path and around the back of Helm Crag etc.

My choices are:

Bonty Mud X 1.8
    Conti Vertical 2.3
    WTB Raptor 2.4

When I say these are my choices this is what I find works where I normally ride for different times of the year and I dont really want to buy any new tyres.

So what is it like up there early March and what would be the best choice?

mrh86

Not the mudx tyres I wouldn’t have thought. Definitely won’t need them for grizedale and whinlatter.

Don’t know anything about the other tyres. Prob go for the conti though.

Trekster

2.3 Maxxis Advantage is what I use. A biggish tyre with good sidewalls to cater for the rocky conditions.
    Conditions will depend on the weather at the time. Covered in snow and ice, running with water or lovely and dry, is variable all year round.

bren2709

Lads at KMB say Maxxis Ardent are good choice for lakes riding.
    I use on that basis.

eddie11
    Free Member

something thats good on rock or wet rock, i dont find you get much soil on lakes routes.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi I live in the lakes and ride in the area. I would avoid the narrow Mud X tyres more rocky than muddy here.
    The contis would be ok I have a mate that rides on them runs fairly high tyre presure to avoid pinch flats. The compound isnt great for wet rock.
    I have riden on WTB Weirwolfs and found them ok not sure about raptors.
    Usually tyre of choice is Maxxis Minion or High roller, I think the ardents have pretty thin walls and are a bit prone to side wall tears.

Both of your wider tyres would be ok for trail centers. 2.4 might be a bit of over kill!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What tyres for lakes? early March’ is closed to new replies.