• This topic has 53 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by viv.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • What to shout at pedestrians?
  • richmtb

Oddly enough despite some of the other threads I tend not to have to many issues with cars when I'm commuting (touch wood).

I'm getting totally fed up of peds just wandering across the road without bothering to look for traffic or crossing at junctions (en mass) when their light is red.

Shouting "WATCH" doesn't seem to work either

So should I be shouting something else.

Otherwise I might just start commuting on my full sus and run them all over!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Look out! tends to work for me – but be loud!

Living in a city with a lot or tourists this can be a real issue. Ride a long way from the kerb when passing pedestrians

wwaswas

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!"

seems to work.

or a proper bell – these are surprisingly effective, actually.

richmtb

TBH hadn't even considered a bell, was thinking more along the lines of an air horn!

sofatester
    Free Member

Air horn?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have a bell but when the pedestrian tries to step infront of you you need something stronger. The trouble with shouting "watch" is that they need to think about what is happening " Look out" is more obvious.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I found FFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Was supprisingly effective at generating appologies.

hora
    Free Member

I don't shout anything as I don't want to look like a complete and utter tool.

Pook

MOVE YOU **** normally works for me, unless they have iMuffs in, in which case i simply wheel tap their head as I bunnyhop/soar gracefuly over them
    😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Freewheel with Hope 2 rear hub… If they don't hear you, they are deaf.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can you get a decent horn these days? (speak as an over-40)

wwaswas

I don't want to look like a complete and utter tool.

wearing a pedestrian because you kept schtum isn't the coolest of looks, though.

hora
    Free Member

I tend to slow down or be able to judge what people will do. When passing stationary cars in jams I also slow right down if passing a bus etc.

If I'm on the trail I slow RIGHT DOWN or cough politely.

Sorry, its not a troll just don't see the point.

al_f
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Can you get a decent horn these days? (speak as an over-40)

i think there are drugs for that.

Back on topic, I always find a loud "It's a ****ing road" as you pass surprisingly effective.

headfirst
    Free Member

On trails or bike paths a firm but polite 'coming through' usually does the trick.

Alternatively one of these:

But I'm waiting for a ti version to come out.

wwaswas
    aP
    Free Member

LOOOKKK!!! seems to be working for me at the moment.
    Trying to articulate anything just seems to end up with me turning bright red and covered in spittle.

IA

Sometimes just yell "ding ding" at people. OR when I really need to get attention, something rude that will get edited out by the filter here. Begins with C.

hora
    Free Member

"ding ding"

Racist!

richmtb

I tend to slow down or be able to judge what people will do. When passing stationary cars in jams I also slow right down if passing a bus etc.

So yesterday I was cycling along Sauchiehall Street as I got to the end and turned right about ten pedestrians were crossing the road against the "red man" should I have just slowed right down and let them cross?

Maybe your right but having ran a pedestrian over outside central station a few weeks ago (just stepped into the road about five feet in front of me) I tend to shout first and ask questions later

hora
    Free Member

No one has ever stepped off a kerb and into me…but then I never ride anywhere near the yellow lines when riding in town.

Seriously uncool if a woman steps of the pavement with her back to you and some berk shouts a warning. You might think you are educating her, the fact that you pass slowly alongside her does the required effect.

Plus, if it happens alot to you maybe you need to slow down.

toys19
    Free Member

I shout hello, or morning or afternoon, try to be as pleasant as possible because if they haven't heard you then they don't know you are there and are going to get a shock. This shock then leads to possible friction which I prefer to avoid to be honest.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hora – try living in a city full of tourists – they step into the road without looking to take photos, they look the wrong way – they are a real hazard even when riding out into the road – I reckon its more frequent than numpties in cars cutting you up – probably one every 2nd ride

schnullelieber
    Free Member

"Morning"
    "Hi"
    "Hello"
    "Lovely day isn't it"
    "Alright luv, nice t!ts, fancy a ride?"

Onzadog
    Free Member

I tenhd to shout "HEADS UP!".

I think it's a military throw back but it seems to work (unless they're trying for death by ipod).

hora
    Free Member

In that case 'incomiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing' would be more appropriate?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I save "INCOMING" to warn others in my group of a rider coming towards us at speed when off road or cars when we're crossing roads.

TimP
    Free Member

I use a loud "NO", much like you would to a disobedient pet. Short and to the point.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TJ – I don't have this problem – sure it's not irate stw forum users looking for revenge?

Macavity
    Free Member

Perhaps too obvious but "BIKE" seems to work.

Just remembered a joke:
    Someone standing on a pavement is hailing a passing taxi, waves and shouts "Taxi" to which the taxi driver waves and shouts "Pedestrian" as the taxi drives on past.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Seriously uncool if a woman steps of the pavement with her back to you and some berk shouts a warning. You might think you are educating her, the fact that you pass slowly alongside her does the required effect.

Plus, if it happens alot to you maybe you need to slow down

Have you lost the plot? It is my fault if someone steps into the road without looking WTF are you on about. Do you cross roads without looking do you expect your child to?
    I hot a school walking woman who did this she literally stepped into road and I hit her instantly and then fell she then shouted at me despite us both now lying in the road as if it was my fault? I also pass a college and the number of students with headphones who dont even look it is a one way system and they still dont look about 3 nasty accidents a year – peole hit by busses and cars for example they just dont learn.
    I find screaming look followed by FFS on passing or something similiar works. I have hit more pedestrains in the last year than cars that have hit me.

hora
    Free Member

I cycle through into Manchester city centre every lunchtime. What am I doing wrong? Maybe I'm not riding fast enough as I ALWAYS have the chance to check over my right shoulder (move) or slow down. All this with (now) just one front brake.

Del

I don't want to look like a complete and utter tool.

i sincerely wish you every success with that.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I only ever use one front brake. Two front brakes would be too confusing.

sockpuppet

So yesterday I was cycling along Sauchiehall Street as I got to the end and turned right about ten pedestrians were crossing the road against the "red man" should I have just slowed right down and let them cross?

yes. pedestrians in the road have right of way after all.

high way code rule 170

whether they should have been there is a different issue, but given they were there, give way.

hora
    Free Member

Angry weedy little men on bicycles shouting at pedestrians? Seriously uncool.

🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

jaywalking oblivous to the hazards of other road users is cool and a wise way to cross roads? ?

hilldodger
    Free Member

hora – Member
    I cycle through into Manchester city centre every lunchtime. What am I doing wrong?

Nothing 😉

I commuted and rode for many years in central London and never had any pedestrian incidents.

If you've got time to ring a bell, blow a horn or think of a witty riposte then you've got time to take evasive action.
    If you know the area you ride has pedestrian 'hazards' then you should adjust your riding behaviour to suit.
    If you're using a commute or journey on prime time busy streets as a 'training ride' then you should know better.
    There's as much excuse for a bike hitting a pedestrian as a car hitting a bike – in other words, none 🙄

zaskar
    Free Member

Ting ting!

I had one of those massive shiny things on my hack-rattles to no end…
    Cheap £1 bell hidden near a shifter.

Sorted and look way ahead when riding.

james-o
    Free Member

hora, spot on. looking and anticipating is equally our responsibilty – most people seem to rely on ears as well as eyes and bikes are silent.

getting agro just makes you look like 'another dkhead cyclist' in most peoples eyes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘What to shout at pedestrians?’ is closed to new replies.