Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • What to buy: First electric guitar?
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

My son has been learning guitar for some time now, using a Yamaha acoustic. He’s asked for an electric guitar for Christmas so need to decide what to get him.

I’ve seen some advice on a Squier Strat (or even one of their packages) as being a good option but what else should I consider – up to say £200 or so?

Cheers

meehaja
    Free Member

that’ll be fine. Squier strats or teles are generally pretty good quality now. Better bought from a shop than online as they often chuck a few bits in and can be a source of knowledge if any problems develop etc.

What bands does he like? Having a guitar that looks like the one your idol plays is always cool. Personally I have a black tele with a white scratch plate, but then I am a clash fan, not sure the kids are into that anymore. second hand could get a better instrument for similar money and decent guitars hold their value better than “cheap” guitars like squires etc.

Creg

I got a Squier Tele for my first (even though it sits unplayed most of the time) in Cherry Red with white scratch plate.

Second hand from a music shop but it is immaculate. Paid £130 for guitar and amp and the guy threw in a few extras too.

I really should play it a lot more. Had it 6 months and played it 5 times if that.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Yamaha electrics are always reliable too – Pacifica range will start well within the budget.

But remember you’ll also need an amp, even if only a 10W practice amp with headphone socket.

And probably some Effects pedals at some point; delay, overdrive/distortion, chorus are pretty common. Various makes abound but you can’t go wrong with Boss FX

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘What to buy: First electric guitar?’ is closed to new replies.