• This topic has 31 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Rich.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What the public think of cyclists…..
  • Rich
    Free Member

Ill thought out and stupid, but an eye opener all the same.

Contains swearing so maybe NSFW.

”C***s on bikes”

njee20
    Free Member

Why’s that eye opening? Nothing new in there at all. The usual ‘they don’t pay road tax’ argument.

There’s dicks who ride bikes, and dicks who drive cars. One of those things!

TheDoog
    Free Member

I’d rather not ride on the road at all but its unavoidable, dont give a crap what drivers think of me tho. I had a mate tho got carved up by a bunch of chavs in a body kitted corsa, so he slapped the wing when they stopped at the lights and half the panels fell off!!! Funny.

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

Answer to OP…

From that link, not a lot.

Rich
    Free Member

Well the vitriol was a bit of a shock to me, I must lead a sheltered life!

I don’t come across any abuse in day to day life when riding on the road, suppose I don’t do it that much though.

It just seems ridiculous, cyclists shouldn’t ride on the road, or be on the pavement? Idiots.

guido

just got back from a lille to ypres ride- what a breath of fresh air, cars slowed down gave me room people said hello.
    i think its just us brits

rOcKeTdOg

it’s the governments fault when they banned bicycle racing a century and a half ago(also wht TTing is so popular as it was the only form of competitive riding allowed on the public highway), it’s embedded in the brit psych now that cycling is wrong, this is why france etc is more tolerant, never been a ban on road cycling

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Oh the irony – last week after a jolly up the dales on the road bike – I was heading home passing queuing traffic on the other side of the road – some chav yells “get a car” – I rode on laughing

Rich
    Free Member

breakneckspeed – Member

Oh the irony – last week after a jolly up the dales on the road bike – I was heading home passing queuing traffic on the other side of the road – some chav yells “get a car” – I rode on laughing

😆

I know someone who thinks you would only ride a bike if you couldn’t afford a car!

njee20
    Free Member

That seems a pretty widespread attitude!

CaptJon
    Free Member

That thread is hilarious for so many reasons. What a bunch of knuckle draggers.

“I was breaking the law, someone told me i was so i broke it again by threatening him…ha ha ha.”

“They don’t pay road tax…” – neither do you numpty, nobody pays road tax

Also, the idea that people are just cyclists, or just motorists is pretty idiotic.

taxi25
    Free Member

I don’t think the poster is very typical of motorists in general.We’ve all met people like him, but he’s a minority.Most motorists are just vaguely irratated by cyclists.I’d put the cyclist down as a kn@b as well,what is he some kind of anti mobile phone vigilanty.

RealMan
    Free Member

It was an eye opener for me.

I knew there are people like that, but I didnt know that they had a place to go and talk to each other. God they might actually come up with an idea one day (cheesewire across roads?)

grumm
    Free Member

Isn’t it more like what people who are into happy hardcore think of cyclists?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Where I live, there are loads of young Asian lads, in hot hatches and BMs. Bikes are seen as ‘poor man’s transport’, by many of them. There is certainly an attitude of ‘if you ride a bike, you can’t afford a car’. Ironic, when half their cars are on HP, and will be a pile of junk long before they are paid off.

Time and time again, I’ve had to deal with the arrogance of little pricks in their cars, trying to impress their mates and girls. The problem is quite acute round here, as many young Asian lads actually feel quite unempowered, and work in shitty jobs for shitty pay, so their cars are a way of showing others how ‘successful’ they are. Quite often, some of them will spend their wedding dowry on a flash motor (I know one lad who wrote off a brand new £20k Volvo, 2 days after he bought it, and it was not insured….).

I’ve had abuse, and many objects thrown at me from cars, often for **** all reason. There have been occasions where I’ve had to get the **** out of there, after being threatened and nearly run down, all for simply being ‘in their way’. Recently, after having to swerve to avoid a Golf driving at me on the wrong side of the road, the driver swung an arm at me out of his window. So I booted his rear door, putting a dent in it. Not the best move. Fortunately, I was able to sprint off, with him and his mate chasing me down the road. His mate threw his mobile at me, it hit my fat arse, bounced off, and was crushed beneath the wheels of another car. Madness. I almost fell off, laughing.

It’s a shame, that getting in a car can exacerbate someone’s small willy issues. In my area, it’s young Asian lads. I’m sure the same is true in all other ethnic groups, but the young lads round here really do see the car as King. I spose, coming from very poor backgrounds, a nice car is seen as a status symbol, and compensates for lack of confidence and assuredness in other areas of life.

RealMan
    Free Member

Recently, after having to swerve to avoid a Golf driving at me on the wrong side of the road, the driver swung an arm at me out of his window. So I booted his rear door, putting a dent in it. Not the best move. Fortunately, I was able to sprint off, with him and his mate chasing me down the road. His mate threw his mobile at me, it hit my fat arse, bounced off, and was crushed beneath the wheels of another car. Madness. I almost fell off, laughing.

good for you lol. throwing your phone at someone? why not throw your wallet as well.

A nice car is always seen as a status symbol I think, regardless of background. I’d rather have a nice bike though..

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I know; I thought the ‘phone throwing was mad. Crushed to bits. Insane. What a dozy berk!

Cars are indeed status symbols; we’ve got Yummy Mummies in Porsche Cayennes and the like, too. and they’re shit drivers an’ all. Too busy on the ‘phone, or texting, or turning round to deal with little Tarquin or Jemima in the back seat.

Strangely, people with really nice motors, yer Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Rollers, Ford Capri 2.8 Injections, they give you time and space. Spose they’re too scared of getting them scratched by some cyclist bouncing across the bonnet.

RealMan
    Free Member

Strangely, people with really nice motors, yer Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Rollers, Ford Capri 2.8 Injections, they give you time and space. Spose they’re too scared of getting them scratched by some cyclist bouncing across the bonnet.

Not so strange really, because if youve got enough money for a ferrari and such, then youre one of three things.

A person with a good career
    A lucky person
    A thief

And most people are going to be the first one. So excluding lottery winners and theives, the people who are driving nice cars are going to be successful, and usually successful people are intelligent. And intelligent people are usually good drivers. Thus, people with nice cars are quite often good drivers.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Yup, good analysis there, RealMan.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Also, people who really like cars, the ones who’ll spend the money on something top end, are usually decent drivers. The two go hand in hand.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

What sort of attitude do you expect to be expressed by the kind of people who post on a hardcore dance music forum?

They are all bound to be 18 year old low intelligence boy racers drugged up to the eyeballs after all.

Yes, there is a trace of irony intended in this post.

RealMan
    Free Member

And I suppose certain celebrities? Although do they fall into the lucky/successful categories? Theyre not always good drivers..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/cristianoronaldo/4175679/Cristiano-Ronaldo-in-Manchester-Ferrari-crash.html

TheDoog
    Free Member

Even if i had a vast chunk of wodge i’d still buy a defender. Was just about to make a point about 150,000 is a bit excessive for a car then 2.5k on a bike crossed my mind……………

And by defender i mean Land Rover not a footballer……….

brakes
    Free Member

you forgot footballers, and whilst they have good careers, they ain’t the sharpest

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

excluding lottery winners and theives, the people who are driving nice cars are going to be successful, and usually successful people are intelligent. And intelligent people are usually good drivers. Thus, people with nice cars are quite often good drivers.

Actually, i think the worst folk with flash cars are the tossers who are successful because they step on other people to get where they are. Usually the arses who drive range rover sports, usually talk on their phone whilst driving and double park… Loads of them are cyclists too ironically. Usually with awesome bikes that they can’t ride. *rant*

RealMan
    Free Member

I think you have a point there, maybe the worst drivers are cyclists too. Because they should know better.

kimbers

yesterdays commute in:
    watched a taxi driver doing a u turn cut up a meathead on a bike, he went apeshit kickin the cab swearing, terrified the driver

yesterdays commute home:
    watched a bus swerve into a meathead on a bike trying to filter up the inside, forced him on the pavement he went even mentaler kicking the bus swearing at the driver

sc-xc

yesterdays commute in:
    watched a taxi driver doing a u turn cut up a meathead on a bike, he went apeshit kickin the cab swearing, terrified the driver

If someone cut me up they’d know about it.

dobo
    Free Member

i’ll try to restore the balance…

the other day i was on my bike stoped at trafic lights at a busy junction at rush hour.
    all of a sudden a bike steams by me on the outside straight through the red lights straight through the traffic…

The car driver by the side of me shaking his head etc and when he pulls away shouts out the window and gives me a load of abuse lol

RealMan
    Free Member

Ive been cut up, driven into, had doors open up on me, and all sorts. I’ve yelled and sworn at people, but never actually gone physical. I dont see the point. Its not going to undo the incident, or fix my bike, or even fix me. The yelling and swearing.. I suppose you have to make sure they know theyve done something wrong.

sc-xc

^ I have had thatas well. Waited at lights coming up to Burntree Island in Dudley – some fat knacker came past on a cheap Specialized. I got it in the neck from the driver next to me.

Rich
    Free Member

.I’d put the cyclist down as a kn@b as well,what is he some kind of anti mobile phone vigilanty.

It’s the sort of story you’d hear on here.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘What the public think of cyclists…..’ is closed to new replies.