Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What solo bike holiday?
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ok, i have the cash to spend a week riding some European trails but MsD isn’t up to that sort of riding and none of my mates can come/are interested.
    So, which holiday companies are good to go with as a solo rider?

I’ve been with Sierracycling yrs ago and enjoyed the area, i’m toying with the idea of AQR but i would want to go in October and it seems flights from Manchester to Luchon finish in Sept.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Similar position here; have been with Switchbacks on me tod a number of times, both for a week & just dropping in for a few days whilst in the area and it’s always gone well.

Oh except the 1st time 🙂 Had to share a house with the biggest tosser on the planet for an entire week! He was also a party of one, and in his case it was easy to understand why!

Thankfully that **** didn’t put me off going back, as I’ve had some splendid rides & meals out with a number of fine people over the years since.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

try us.

😀

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Depends on budget and when you want to go, I know it isn’t Europe but Morocco with Cycle active! Can’t recommend it enough.

donsimon
    Free Member

Would something like Camino de Santiago not be a good idea?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

DS – what’s the Camino de Santiago?

Pilgrim’s trail to Compostela???

donsimon
    Free Member

Yes. There are various starts and one finish for airports and you’ll be able to pass time to ride with others or go solo.

druidh
    Free Member

The Camino de Santiago is on my “possible” list for next year.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

DS, not religious in the slightest so a pilgrimage isn’t my thing but i understand its rather pretty?

donsimon
    Free Member

Don’t have to be religious to do the Camino. Many of those who do it aren’t. Pretty in parts, less so in others.

wl
    Free Member

Bike Verbier are great. Often when I’ve been staying with them there have been folk on their own, but the other guests have always been sound and very warm and inclusive to soloists. And even if they weren’t, Phil, Lucy, Jill and Sam are excellent hosts who’ll make you feel totally welcome and at home, both out on the trails and back at the ace chalet. Atmosphere around the dinner table is always fantastic in my experience. As for the biking etc, it’s incredible. Highly recommended on every count.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Some ideas to think about there – thanks folks.

Must admit that Spain is looking favourite at the moment due to the time of year i aim to be going (mid-October) and flight times/cost.

What are prices like in Spain now for eating out etc.?

donsimon
    Free Member

What are prices like in Spain now for eating out etc.?

Think logically, in general prices are good, but if you’re thinking of the Camino (Pennine Way), do you think prices will be better on, or off piste?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

TBH i’m DS i’m looking more towards an inclusive MTB holiday than the Camino this year although it does look like one for future reference.
    I was referring to prices in bars/restaraunts etc as i haven’t been to Spain since 2003.
    Suppose it does depend on where i’ll be heading – a beach based MTB holiday will incur higher restaraunt prices i suspect.

Still, i have to decide where to go first..

crazy-legs

Freeride Spain (Lanjaron, about 20 miles south of Granada) is very good and the little town is pretty cheap. I’ve been there both on my own and with friends and there have always been other people, everyone from folk on their own to groups of 4 or 5.

Another vote for AQR if you can get out there. Great riding and Russ’ food is legendary. 🙂

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Olvera village where All Mountain Venture is based

Beer / soft drink – 1 or 2 euros.
    Breakfast in Cafe – 2 or 3 euros
    3 course lunch in cafe (set menu) 8 – 10 euros.
    Evening meal in restaurant – from 15 euros per head.
    Local supermarket is also pretty cheap.

There is one bar in Olvera where you have your own private beer tap on your table… can get expensive if you don’t keep an eye on the digital counter 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

TBH i’m DS i’m looking more towards an inclusive MTB holiday than the Camino this year although it does look like one for future reference.

No probs, chapster. Prices will be more or less the same as 2003, the biggest price hike was the change from Peseta to €uro when a coffee/beer went from 100ptas to €1.00 overnight and from then on it’s been a fight back to a normal price. Menus del dia for about €10,00, beer for about €1,00-1,50 draught.

Potdog
    Free Member
    Megatron

Another vote for Bike Verbier.
    I’ve gone out on my own, and stayed with them for a week the last two summers, and will be going for another week in not that long 😀
    couldn’t have put it better myself:

wl – Member
    Bike Verbier are great. Often when I’ve been staying with them there have been folk on their own, but the other guests have always been sound and very warm and inclusive to soloists. And even if they weren’t, Phil, Lucy, Jill and Sam are excellent hosts who’ll make you feel totally welcome and at home, both out on the trails and back at the ace chalet. Atmosphere around the dinner table is always fantastic in my experience. As for the biking etc, it’s incredible. Highly recommended on every count.

just go and book somewhere and stop worrying! you’ve already got something in common with the others on a bike holiday!

alpin
    Free Member

don simon – Member

Don’t have to be religious to do the Camino. Many of those who do it aren’t. Pretty in parts, less so in others.

people who aren’t religious but do that sort of thing strike me as having little imagination.

RustySpanner

You’re more than welcome to spend a week in sunny Snowdonia at the hut.
    Wales is abroad.

£8 a night though for non members!

ianv
    Free Member

For downhill, freeride Portugal is really good. Based in the algarve so dry rocky trails and nothing too expensive.

Stoner
    Free Member

Another vote for AQR. there’s enough other clients there at any one time to provide company and you’re well looked after by the team there in terms of guiding, food and accommodation whether on your own or in a group.

Edukator
    Free Member

I know my local trails fairly well 😉 and the GR 653 Chemin de St Jacques is amongst them. I ride it as far as I can get in a day both ways now and then simply because it’s an excellent trail. A pleasant mix of singletrack and farm tracks with very little tarmac. Over in Spain it turns into something of a motorway but doesn’t deserve to be dissed.

saxabar
    Free Member

I’ve done TrailAddiction and Mountain Bike Chalet in Les Arcs by myself. Great fun, top notch food and all the gubbins. Another option (particularly if it’s a last cheeky trip of the season) is Chamonix. I’m going with Alpine Elements. Room, all food, flights (me, bike and extra bag) and transfers for just over £400. I’ve been with them before so the accommodation isn’t plush, but it is comfortable and the food is good. Guiding is non-existent so it’s best if you know the place well. Last year I hooked up with some locals and had an amazing time. Just another budget-minded option!

@Rusty Spanner – where is your hut? I’m in Bethesda.

Edukator
    Free Member

St Jacques… La Mecque is a delightful film about people on the classic Puy-en-Velay – St Jean Pied de Port route. Some of it is filmed off-route for more impressive views but it gives you a good idea of what to expect.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

AQR is great. Highly recommended, and I’d happily make the trip just for another crack at Russ’s Duck al’Orange. Or the Pigs Cheeks. or in fact, most of his meals…

You can either fly into Toulouse or to Carcassonne.

Or you could just move your holiday to a bit earlier…?

hora
    Free Member

I went with Alpine Elements in a different guise/name. I wouldn’t touch them for a holiday.

DenDennis
    Free Member

I would reccommend Ciclomontana or AQR, though prob better weather at the former that time of year. Both included very good evening meals when I last checked – a lot of other places don’t.
    friendly and easy-going guides and not massive ‘macho’ groups if that’s something that is relevant

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What solo bike holiday?’ is closed to new replies.