Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What small compact camera for shoving in bag when on bike?
  • hopefiendboy

Any recommendations? Not wanting to spend lots….

Cheers!

souldrummer
    Free Member

I could do with some info on this as well, as my mobile phone is quite limited when it comes to taking decent pics and I don’t want to spend a fortune on a camera that will get bashed about in a camelback.

AlexSimon

If it was me, I’d be looking for a second hand Canon PowerShot S90.

Otherwise I’d compare the specs of the current Ixus range.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    AlexSimon

This one for example:

Rosss
    Free Member

Nikon s8000 is really nice. Easy to use with gloves on and takes brilliant photos

xcentric
    Free Member

the travel superzooms have recently been updated (Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, etc) – so the previous models are available for approx £150, possibly less. Good quality in standard light, flexible zoom range, very compact and reasonably tough. Ideal biking camera if you’re into biking, not photography…..

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Happy with my Olympus 610 tough camera, waterproof for up to 5m of waters, dust proof etc.

I think I could knock nails in with it if I misplaced my hammer too.

£145 from Currys a few weeks ago.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

I’ve got a Canon IXUS 80IS. It’s a great wee camera. Point and shoot for the most part. It can take a few knocks and , as mentioned above, can be used with gloves.

hock

Depends on what you want from a Camera really.
    But into the blue I second the Canon S90 or newer, better S95 version.

Square (nothing protruding when off), fair price and compact for its high degree of over-riding automatic functions. You might want the later to show speed (long shutter aperture) or freeze movement (short shutter aperture, fill-in flash). or when taking photos against sunsets etc..
    It’s got a nice wide angle and useful tele. It’s got good lenses so that you can make decent pics without flash even in lowly light conditions.
    I carry mine around in the back pocket of Endura Singletrack shorts and they are not too heavy.

For bike photography you might also want quick reaction times and a focus that is good in “following” the chosen object. The S90/S95 is good in this area, too. A good allrounder. But there will be better alternatives. Some more expensive, other maybe not so good in other areas.

There are smaller and cheaper cameras about. But they will probably have less functionality.
    Ixus is a route if you want this.

In general I find Canons easy and intuitive to use.

(sorry for lack of technical photographic terms but I hope you get what I mean)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

canon ixus 100 is here that is small but suprisingly good

pease
    Free Member

i must say, the new samsung cameras are very good and excellent value considering what you get for your money.

andyl
    Free Member

How about one the ruggedised compacts like these:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_ft3_review/rivals/

The lumix in the review has GPS etc.

robbo
    Free Member

We use £50 Fujifilm cameras at school and the picture quality is great. Kids haven’t destroyed them in two years of use. So cheap almost disposable…

iainc

Fuji XP20 here – cheap, tough enough, good pics :

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What small compact camera for shoving in bag when on bike?’ is closed to new replies.