Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • What roadbike on cycle to work?
  • Tiboy

It's that time of year again, and having been enjoying longish road rides on my SS roadrat I fancy a full blown road bike.

So question is which one? £1k limit applies!

Edric64
    Free Member

A Boardman usually fits the bill on a budget ,but I have not looked at them recently

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I got a Ribble Ribelle last August. Just at the 1k limit, full carbon frame, 105 groupset. Cheap wheels though. Just changed for some rs80s.

old pic with old wheels on

grahamt1980

I got the boardman, its light and really like the SRAM groupset, did change the saddle though as the one it came with is crap

hitman
    Free Member

Andy, Ive been thinking about a Ribble , how do you like it??

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Love it. Feels quick and responsive, comfortable although I don't tend to be out for more than 3/4 hours. Only my 2nd roadbike so I can't say too much.

If you're local to me (Manchester)you are more than welcome to have a test ride.

The first was also an alu ribble so I am probably a little biased. Beware the customer service and lead time though. I was very firm with them and arranged to collect it on a set date so they didn't have any wriggle room.

cp

Andy – what do you think of the RS-80's? They seem a pretty sensible relatively lightweight wheel to me with the lack of weight at the rim. Do they feel stiff?

Ribble do have somewhat of a reputation eh??! They were very quick to reply to some of my queries ref. a frame and fork combo. But then their presales have a good rep – it's aftersales and chasing delivery I've heard multiple stories about! Didn't go with them in the end, found exactly what I wanted on ebay… Ribble were quick to despatch a set of clip-on tri bars though 🙂

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member
    Tiboy

Thanks guys, hadn't looked at ribble before, will go have a look. Bit worried about boardman as it can take a while for vouchers to come through with my company and don't want to be left with a voucher and the bike sold out as has been the case before! Any other ideas?

Andyhilton
    Free Member

CP – I've only had one 20 mile ride this evening on the RS80s but they seem stiff, roll well and seem to come out well in tests against the competition (fulcrum 3s). I weigh just under 14st for reference.

Tiboy- The voucher I got was through cyclescheme.co.uk and it came through with 4 days. Ribble do charge a £50 'admin fee' for cyclescheme though so bear that in mind.

vdubber67
    Free Member

What about the sub £1000 Planet X one with the Ultegra groupset?

pinches
    Free Member

the ultegra groupset planet x is now 1199.99 isn't it?

Tiboy

Planet-X charge a £100 admin fee!! so they're out really. Ribble look out, but not such a good spec as boardman, what do people think of this…

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/equilibrium/equilibrium/technology/

??

Andyhilton
    Free Member

:?Not keen on the wheels and the chainset is a bit meh

Andyhilton
    Free Member
    Tiboy

Must admit I don't like the look of the secteur, not sure why, but being in bristol I might go see if I can demo on from the concept store. Thanks!

Andyhilton
    Free Member

A mate has just picked up an Allez Elite (£799.99) Seems nice, he's commuting 28 miles a day as well as some leisure riding at the weekend and he's impressed. The Allez comp comes in at 1199.99 which I suppose is over the budget.

Tiboy

Yeh, needs to be under £1k as my company hasn't opted to get a consumer credit licence, annoying that! Thinking Boardman team at the moment, not the carbon one, as it's £200 to get a carbon frame from what I can see with no other changes really, and based on my 200lb weight I don't think a bit lighter bike will make that much difference! Trek 2.1 looks nice too…

Mister-P
    Free Member

Genesis Equilibrium is well worth a look.

pinches
    Free Member

trek 2.1 is good bike for the money, also worth looking at the wilier laverado mirage

Jimbo
    Free Member

Whatever fits! After that, whichever suits your needs best: arse-up/head-down/hurt-locker-on-wheels, or a more relaxed, sportive-esque bike, p'haps with mounts/eyelets.
    I wanted the former, so opted for a CAAD9 Tiagra for £800. Distincly average groupset and wheels maybe, but it's the frame that matters, and it's epic…

westkipper
    Free Member

I'd agree with your choice Jimbo.
    If, hypothetically, theives broke in an nicked all my bikes,
    The first thing I would do with regard replacement would be to buy the cheapest CAAD 9 bike and upgrade it as things wore out.
    A miles more exciting frame than all these cookie cutter cheap carbon jobs…

UpQuickDownSlow

Boardman CX Pro – has rack and mudguard fittings.

bikebore
    Free Member

Giant Defy. Very quick, comfy, mudguard and rack mounts if you really have to (I did for winter training and it still makes me weep)…..

njm

I got the Giant Defy. It's my first road bike, and I've found it comfy and fast.

RevWill
    Free Member

I've been admiring the Cube Attempt recently (£999), I may get one. Though as Jimbo said, if you want guards and a rack, with a more relaxed geometry, it probably isn't your best bet. The Dawes Sportif maybe? I do like steel bikes so I may be wrong.

(I don't own any of the above bikes, though I may work in a bike shop that can get them in.)

Tiboy

Thanks for the ideas guys, will be going to try a few out of fit over the weekend. Like the idea of buying a good frame worthy of upgrading, as a constant fettler this seems sensible! CAAD9 seems to get excellent reviews, but am I compromising too much on the stuff hanging off it with this model:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/caad-9-tiagra-compact-2010-road-bike-ec020238

My main worry is going 9-speed, how much will this limit me in the future when upgrading? Sorry if this is a dull question, I'm very out of touch with roadie stuff!

Jimbo
    Free Member

The frame is worth the compromise on groupset! With 9sp Tiagra, come eventual upgrade, your next step is 10sp, for which you'd have to change shifters (the most expensive bit), rear mech and of course cassette. Don't let that put you off, as it's an amazing bike. It's BB30 too, so futureproof.

djc1245
    Free Member

I've just ordered the CAAD9, should get it next week sometime. Got 10 speed Campag kit on another road bike, wonder whether i could swap groupsets over or just stick with 9 speed and worry about upgrades when the time comes

Tiboy

Ok, sold on the idea of a Cannondale CAAD, and sorry to appear to go over the same point again, but should I go CAAD8 with 105 or CAAD9 with Tiagra?

Just had a look at 10sp groupsets and scared myself! Is there that much difference between a CAAD8/9 frame?

Thanks again for everyone's advice!

westkipper
    Free Member

I think previous generations of CAAD 8 weren't too different from the CAAD 9, with the same geometry,
    But from this year the 8 uses a slightly different, far eastern frame with a longer headtube and more relaxed geometry.
    I think this is the last year of US production for the 9 as well.
    As far as the groupset goes, functionally there's not that much difference between Tiagra and 105 apart from the extra gear, and (me personally) I'd be looking long term to put a better group on it than either of those.
    I'd get the CAAD 9 myself, since I prefer no-apologies racebikes.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘What roadbike on cycle to work?’ is closed to new replies.