Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What rim width for 2.4 tyres XC / Trail riding?
  • nikk
    Free Member

Looking for some new wheels, going to spec a custom set hopefully with DT Swiss 240 hubs. Wondering what rims are best? I am running Mavic 317 at the moment with Conti 2.4 Mountain Kings and Schwalbe SuperMotos, think that rim is too narrow and want to get more volume out of the tyres. Was planning to get Mavic 719 rims, are they enough of a difference width wise?

As far as rim specs goes, I am not doing any big drops or jumps at all so don’t need heavy duty ones, any suggestions other than the 719s?

nikk
    Free Member

Bump – anyone know? Interested in wider rims (for example 21″ inside width) that are light and good quality. Don’t need DH bruisers.

neil853
    Free Member

I’m running a maxxis advantage 2.4 on a mavic 819 easy enough. Hope this helps.

Matt24k
    Free Member

I run 2.35 Nevegals on 719 rims and they sit much better than they did on 717 rims. It is only 2 mm wider but that equates to around 10% extra rim width. The 719 is recomended for tyres between 1.5 and 2.3 but remember that tyre sizes are a complete minefield. The different brands size their tyres differently despite what it says on the tyre wall.

honourablegeorge

Stan’s Crest are 21mm internally. Sound perfect for you.

float
    Free Member

im running a rubber queen 2.4 on a superstar dh rim, 25mm internal, on the back of my hardtail, tis sweet 🙂

I used to have a 719 on the back, but i got a few pinch punctures even at >30 psi. maybe have a look at the mavic 521?

RustyMac

The mavic XM819 or XM719 are designed to take upto 2.3 tyres, they will cope fine with 2.4 as neil853 mentions above.

Stans ZTR Crest are a littel wider and a little lighter and would give you more tyre volume but you would have to add a tubeless rim strip to run tubelss which will even the weight out with the mavic rim a fair bit.

If you have had no real problems with your curent setup (dinged rimms or buckled wheels) then any of the above options would suit, if you feel you want something a bit stronger then the Stans ZTR Flow rim is wider and heavier still but will be a bit stronger too.

[hijack] If you need a 240 front hub drop me an email I have one that has sat in my flat for the last year i could do with selling [/hijack]

docrobster
    Free Member

2.4 advantage on a flow here- nice and wide

nikk
    Free Member

Thanks all – Stan’s Crests do look good, nice and light as well as quite a bit wider than 719s. Will going from 17mm to 21mm be very noticeable regarding tyre profile?

br
    Free Member

IME while an 819 will run 2.4 tyres you need to keep the pressures up, otherwise it ‘flops’.

I’ve some old Hopes with DT 5.1’s on running 2.4 NN, they work fine, but I bought a pair of Crests last year and they seem to create a ‘better’ profile for wider tyres.

So I’d go Crests – and while I’ve a DT240 hub, tbh I’d buy a Hope Hoop wheelset as they are such good value.

RustyMac

Will going from 17mm to 21mm be very noticeable regarding tyre profile?

There will be a visable difference in the profile of the tyre, it will be more of a square shape on the rim rather than round. As to wether you notce a difference when on the bike will depend on the pressures you run in the tyre.

kamina
    Free Member

5.1’s are the same internal width as crests.

HarveyStedham
    Free Member

My money would go on the crests!

If you wanted something a bit tougher there is a stans rim inbetween the crest and flow which name escapes me at the moment… Think its low-mid 400g so about the same as a light mavic!

schmiken

Stans ZTR Crest are a littel wider and a little lighter and would give you more tyre volume but you would have to add a tubeless rim strip to run tubelss which will even the weight out with the mavic rim a fair bit.

You don’t need rubber rim strips to make Stans rims run tubeless, just the yellow tape and a valve.

And the rim HarveyStedham was on about was the Arch, which does sound like an ideal choice for the OP.

RustyMac

You don’t need rubber rim strips to make Stans rims run tubeless, just the yellow tape and a valve

Thought they were essentially the same thing – my bad

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What rim width for 2.4 tyres XC / Trail riding?’ is closed to new replies.