Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What remote control car?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Been thinking about one for a while then saw a load of guys with Landy remotes last weekend and it looked good fun.

So – I had a look in our local shop and the range is huge, from small electric ones to huuuuuge nitro ones. I assume nitro will take more maintenance but also last much longer (with no worry of batteries going flat). Saying that, the last time I had one it was old ni-cad technology so I assume Li-ion are much better.

Any advice most welcome.

richmars

Plus nitro’s make a bit of noise, so depends where you’re planning on playing with it.

racefaceec90

funny you should ask (i started a thread about tamiya rc cars last week http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/tamiya 😉

i reckon that an electric rc car would do you proud.for one thing the batteries are a LOT better than they were.also the motors are a lot more advanced too.the cars are fast too,BUT the best thing would be that you could use them anywhere (just about) that had a big space,without annoying people with the noise of a nitro engine.also it will be cheaper to repair (i think) than an expensive nitro car would,when things go belly up.

have a look at something like this beauty to begin with 😉 http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/tamiya-rc-super-hotshot-2012/ it’s about £300 for the kit and around £70 for the radio controller kit/fast charger (it should come with a cigarette lighter socketso you can charge it from your car battery.

let us know what you do get anyhoo (i’m skint myself,so i cannot afford one) and enjoy 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

I was thinking perhaps one of the Landy style ones – the ones I saw didn’t go so fast and could go almost anywhere (and self-right) so my kids could play with it too.

Thinking about it as a part birthday present – it’s either that or a new cordless drill zzzzzz

Cougar

the batteries are a LOT better than they were

Out of interest, are those new batteries the same shape as the old ones?

Ie, could I stick one in my old car?

v8ninety

Check out rock crawler RC cars on you tube; there’s a lot of fun to be had in a small space with those bad boys

andywoods
    Free Member

model sport nr leeds, great store all types of cars available from basic to top range great for spares /mail order

v8ninety

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg9oVHiKbvs[/video]
    I really like the ‘scale’ (ish) stuff for fulfilling all of my childhood imaginings of what is be able to do in a land rover, before real life finances got in the way…

v8ninety

Or for more of a silly speed experience, something like the Traxxas Stampede VXL; [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GutmQDukszA[/video]
    Traxxas have a rep for toughness, too.

bikeneil
    Free Member
    v8ninety

Ooooh, Neil, that’s a thing of beauty in the making…

ampthill

A bit of googling shows that the land rovers are expensive

some great videos on youtube. But apparently some are slowed down in the video to add relism

the only cost I can find is here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAMIYA-1-10-RC-LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-90-RC4WD-ROCK-CRAWLER-RTR-NEW-2-4GHZ-RADIO-/180928614421?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item2a202f9015

nickhart
    Free Member

Thanks to all who posted links. I’ve just lost a good half hour of my life watching videos and thinking ooh I wonder. Then I happened upon YouTube of the tamiya tundra highlift. It cured me of my wonderings, beyond amazing the technology that was in it, working lights, working engine noises, gearbox, someone did a time lapse video of construction (he needs to get out more). And all for a silly amount of money.
    It cured me as I don’t have the time to do everything I’d like to now and if I had one of those I’d have even less time. I couldn’t even say its for the kids as they’re not into cars.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Cougar – yes the LiPo batteries are the same shape but you’ll need a special charger and a Lipo compatible ESC in your car – they don’t like being discharged below a certain voltage unlike NiMh packs which you can run totally flat without hurting them. The ESC will take care of that for you.

DT78
    Free Member

I know what to ask for my next birthday now!

DrP

RC cars are cracking fun – I’ve had a few in the past, and currently have a traxxas revo 3.3 nitro truck.
    It’s mental, loud, and fast!

However, in hindsight, I would say that if you were to be starting afresh, I would got electric brushless.
    Just as fast, less faff, quiet etc etc.
    Yes, technically you can run nitro all day, just topping up the tank, but tbh something inevitably breaks after 20-30 minutes anyway…. It costs about £10 in ‘repairs’ each run!

Trucks are fast and fun, but with kids around, I’d really look at electric crawlers or scale trucks – they seem like great fun,and can be used indoors…

DrP

Cougar

Rockhopper > that’s great, cheers.

greasyrider
    Free Member

I like the look of the Vaterra Twin Hammers. This guy has done a great build with a Beetle body.
    Twin Scorcher

I’m currently lusting after a Traxxas Summit – remote selectable hi/lo gear ratios, remote lockable diffs, waterproof. Not super fast – 30mph, but looks mega fun. £600 though!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVYUnqLM6wA[/video]

tuffty
    Free Member

The others are just toys, this is what you want 😀
    This is my sons large scale offroad car. A Hormann HT3, powered by a 26cc race tuned Oddified petrol engine. He races it, I am just the humble mechanic 😉
    Learn more about the largest form of off road model car racing here
    Round 3 of the National Championships is this weekend at kendal
    [/url] P1060599 by tufftyk871, on Flickr[/img]

[/url] P1060601 by tufftyk871, on Flickr[/img]

[/url] P1060630 by tufftyk871, on Flickr[/img]

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Here are my play things…

SC10RS running on a 5000mha Lipo battery which gives about 40 mins run time

Tamiya TT-01 – Shelf Queen

4×4 Nitro Buggy just after I built it..

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

I like that…

amplebrew

Those scale model Defenders look amazing, I never even knew they existed.

It must be really nice combining the fun of RC with the satisfaction of building a scale model; especially with all the mechanics.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What remote control car?’ is closed to new replies.