• This topic has 20 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by 69er.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What rear hub – alternatives to Hope?
  • OrangeChammy
    Free Member

I am looking to get a new XC wheel built on a 717 Mavic rim. Normally would go for Hope but have been less than impressed by recent hubs – my front pro 2 (20mm) eats bearings and a previous rear Hope hub had alignement issues in hub shell that caused it to run a bit tight.

I am now faced with a dilema – buy an XT and keep on top of servicing or maybe a Halo Spin Doctor. Are there any other viable options – budget is an issue – a hope Pro 2 would be at the top end of what I would pay… so no Chris King for me! I also prefer fit and forget so shimano is less than tempting, however price is!

Cheers

Rorschach
    Free Member

Nuke Proof generator.
    DMR 6 pawl.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Doesn’t the latest pro 2 have bigger bearings?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rorschach
    Free Member

Only in the freehub.

cynic-al
    Free Member

so still way smaller than shimano then 😉

69er
    Free Member

Buy quality, buy once….

Rorschach
    Free Member

Rebuilt a royce mk1 before christmas.Nice and he’s an amazing bloke to talk too but was’nt that impressed tbh.Bit like a uk Pauls.

AJames
    Free Member

Daft as it sounds how do you clean your bike? Used to use a degreaser and hose pipe on highish pressure and found that it did over time penetrate my hope hubs which at one point needed servicing every six months. Stopped it and they are fine….

bampot
    Free Member

+1 for the nukeproof generator. Cheaper, lighter and damn sight quieter (but not silent) than the hope 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

‘servicing every six months’
    Do you think that is bad?
    edit
    Do you mean replacing bearings or just a clean and regrease?

AJames
    Free Member

Bit of both sometimes, there was clearly stuff getting in there more than the run of the mill trail dirt. Was a bit obsessed with some cheapo engine degreaser off the market, great on the chain but shouldn’t have used it else where. Quite like how noisy they are.

Rorschach
    Free Member

You should still service them every six months though.

AJames
    Free Member

Ehhhhhr, really? That’s a bit keen, although I do run 2 chains and clean it every ride, I am obsessed with chain hygiene …

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I too have had a mixed bag with Hopes. My current pro2s chewed their bearings in no time and needed a full rebuild (which admittedly was pretty straightforward). I also had some pro3s on the roadie that were (overly) tight, and needed some fiddling to finally get smooth. Neither were in any way abused with a hosepipe…

The downside with XTs is they need regular clean-outs (as said) and they aren’t light either.

In the end I usually go with the Hopes and bite the bullet on the rebuilds, as Hope hoops are good value for what you get.

Northwind

reggiegasket – Member

The downside with XTs is they need regular clean-outs (as said) and they aren’t light either.

They’re a fair weight for a steel freehub body… Can’t remember the numbers but the current centrelock XT hub is more or less the same weight as a pro 2 with the steel freehub.

messiah
    Free Member

I’m tempted to try goldtec.

jimw
    Free Member

DT Swiss 240s? I have two sets of wheels with these hubs and the first set was built in 2006 and still on original bearings and they have been used a lot. Easy to service rear hub as well.

there is a place on ebay selling 240s/717 wheelset for £225 at the moment ( I am nothing to do with seller)

edit: oops, just realised above set won’t fit a 20mm axle on the front, although you can get OS 240s hubs

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice – I have obsessive compulsive behaviour to bike cleaning, I just feel that recent hope hubs have had a few issues – bearings being one, lost the very minimal lip on the 20mm front hub so spacer keeps falling off and also the rear hub being a bit tight due to the tolerance not great on the hub shell.

That said if the freehub body is now steel, not alloy, then that is a good thing – a few mates have had theirs wrecked by cassette – and as I run a 8spd cassette I dont have option for fancy alloy cassette spiders.

There seems to be not much alternative to Hope for the price apart from Nukeproof. I may pop up to my local builder – wheelcraft for a wee mooch around!

overthehill
    Free Member

A big fan of DT Swiss here.
    Their 370 range is about the same price as Pro 2

Del

for balance i had a set of OS DT 240 bearings fail in under 6 months on a front wheel.
    luck of the draw TBH. adding up of tolerances can work for or against you.

69er
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member
    Rebuilt a royce mk1 before christmas.Nice and he’s an amazing bloke to talk too but was’nt that impressed tbh.Bit like a uk Pauls.

I think you’ll find Cliff is some way past Mk1! My disc hub has the new lube ‘up the centre of the axle’ system. Awesome. And I definitely would not compare todays Royce stuff with Pauls. Maybe Pauls from the 70’s but things have moved on a bit in New Milton since then…. 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What rear hub – alternatives to Hope?’ is closed to new replies.