Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What 'proper' MTB Enduro events are there this year?
  • DoctorRad
    Free Member

What ‘proper’ MTB Enduro events are coming up this year? By ‘proper’, I mean timed special stages and time-limited liaison stages sort of thing.

And where’s the best place to find out about such events? I am so out of touch these days it’s untrue…

juan
    Free Member

trans provence…

thomthumb
    Free Member
    mrlebowski
    Free Member
    paul78
    Free Member

+1 for Transprovence…

Even as an XC racer at heart I really enjoyed the first edition of this race.. the riding was just superb even if I did mince alot fo the tech stuff 🙂

13thfloormonk

I’d have thought ‘proper’ enduro would mean timed everything, uphills included.

The Black Mountain Three Day event is on in July, I really like the look of it, three ~80km days with a tent village at the end of each day.

paul78
    Free Member

Think the BM3D falls well into the marathon category.. not ‘Enduro’ … hope we don’t have to have the Enduro classification debate again 🙁

..but yeah the BM3D will be awesome… challenging for sure.

13thfloormonk

Ha, sorry, didn’t realise that debate had been done 😳

paul78
    Free Member

Lol .. no worries.. it was over quickly and spiced by some willy waving about who had the best ‘Enduro’ races. the UK or Europe 🙂

Get your entry in for BM3D 🙂

DoctorRad, if you can get an entry to Transprovence I can’t recommend it highly enough..

singlespeedstu

Pah.

Trying to call messing about on pushbikes “enduro”

Nothing like the real thing. 😉

DoctorRad
    Free Member

@paul78 Getting married this year, so no chance, but if I have the fitness I’ll look into doing Transprovence another time.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

The Black Mountain Three Day event is on in July, I really like the look of it, three ~80km days with a tent village at the end of each day.

I like the look of it too, but its not 3x80km. Its 13km, 72km, 68km according to the website.

ash

Singlespeedstu, why is that seemingly every time this discussion comes up, you ridicule use of the word “enduro” in mountain biking? 🙂

Trying to call messing about on pushbikes “enduro”

Seriously, go to the south-east corner of France (Maritime Alps), observe their 1-day enduro scene (scores of enduro rally events, throughout the year, which have been going for YEARS) and then tell them that.

You’re right “Enduro” was used beforehand in motorbiking, but proper MTB enduro (i.e. multiple timed stages) clearly bears *some* similarities, and that’s probably why they used the same name.

On the definition thing: it’s a total mystery to me why some UK-dwelling MTBers call long-distance timed-everything races (i.e up and down) “Enduro” when that is quite clearly Marathon XC, as Paul78 states …and the UCI will also tell you the same if you ask them…so will Wikipedia.

Northwind

The 661 event doesn’t have time-limited liason stages from what I’ve seen, it’s timed descents but otherwise untimed. Still like to know more about the difficulty expected, they said on here that the route would be similiar to the innerleithen enduro last month, ie, quite challenging… But the website says it’ll be on the red routes. Could be a brilliant series…

epicyclo

ash – Member
    Singlespeedstu, why is that seemingly every time this discussion comes up, you ridicule use of the word “enduro” in mountain biking?…

Possibly because he’s done proper enduros 🙂

Still, it’s a term I like for certain mtb events, ie multi-day point to point via checkpoints rather than roundy roundy.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Enduro is a crappy name and causes a lot of confusion, why did they just not make up a new word for it, then everyone would be happy?
    In France they use Marathon and Enduro, where as in the uk some longer races and long non competitive rides have been called Enduros for years.
    To me Enduro should involve a motorbike.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

@ash – that’s the sort of scene I wish existed in the UK, but such is life. Given the chance, I’d move over there in a heartbeat.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What 'proper' MTB Enduro events are there this year?’ is closed to new replies.