Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • what pace for road club rides?
  • sefton
    Free Member

ok whos in a road bike club and what pace are the club rides?

warton
    Free Member

most good clubs will have a number of different pace rides on the same day. the slow one will be about 15/16mph, the fast one anything from 18mph upwards

FuzzyWuzzy

Piece of string question. There are different types of road club (e.g. social vs racing), different speed rides within the same club and clubs in different parts of the country mean different geography which has a big impact on speed.
    For reference the social club I ride with on mixed terrain (hilly but mostly short and steep) is 14-15mph, the faster riders wait at junctions/top of hills etc. for the slower riders though.
    Used to ride in a racing club donkey’s years ago and even a steady state ride would be low 20’s mph

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Slow – 15/16, Intermediate – 18ish, *Advanced/ Training – 20 – 23ish.

As long as you have reasonable fitness you should be ok at 18mph average. If it gets too much then just sit in the pack to conserve energy.

*Closed circuit training.

trickydisco
    Free Member

depends.. Sunday was 15.5mph but that was 72 miles with 1500metres of climbing other times it’s 18-19

Can depend on the group. If some of the fast boys are out the pace gets pushed up but if there are some new people to the club we don’t want to put people off.

sefton
    Free Member

hmmm, this is where I’m at at the moment (1 hour session)

clubber
    Free Member

IME, a normal training ride will be 18/19 on the flat. The biggest difference is what happens when you hit the hills…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Where d’ya ride?

If it’s hills “n” stuff then the pace will be a lot slower as the climbs get harder so only use the above as a very rough guide.

Down here in the South Downs the pace for the “novices” (incl newbies, women (no not all women before you lot start) kiddos, veterans, cake afficianardos (they stop twice during the ride) ave 14mph, the fast lot split themselves into two groups.. The fast lot 1 ride out hard and contain ex pro’s and moi, ride out takes about 3-4hours at ave’s of 20mph+, the fast lot 2 tend to go on shorter routes (1-1.5hrs) and ride harder on loops and ave about 25mph+ (contains TT fellas and blokes who want to get home early)

Very rare you’ll be dropped, most riders will keep an eye on you but if you can ride no quicker than say ave’s of 18mph then join in on the slower group and pace yourself until you feel you can join in on the fast group(s)

Junkyard
    Free Member

the biggest difference is what happens when you hit the hills…

we are mountain biker we rip their legs of then wait at the top eating a variety of jelly based snacks from our camelbaks

OP what they said re speed though terrain also has an impact

sefton
    Free Member

around the pennines, bolton, blackburn,bury, horwich etc

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

hmmm, this is where I’m at at the moment (1 hour session)

Is that solo?

sefton
    Free Member

yep solo

oh and it was 11mph winds that day too 😆

oldgit
    Free Member

It varies. Many clubs have shorter training days typically on a Saturday. The pace can be very high in these, but that’s often reflected in the shorter times and easier terrain. I’d not worry about these.

‘Club runs’ as opposed to training rides are 16+ on favorable days nearer 20.
    An example we did 100km last Sunday, we put it down when we could. When I was on the front my computer was reading between 21-24, but the average was just under 17. So although they feel fast once you’ve factored in hills, wind and the chatty moments it’s not so heroic. Plus they are club rides not races or training. On their own most of the clubmen would ride a 100km in under three hours.
    You’ll be safe and it’s incredibly friendly.
    That’s my experience with the following.
    Paddington
    Kenton
    Hemel Hempstead
    Bossard Wheelers
    Leighton Buzzard RC

Anyone in particular you are thinking of joining?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

At that speed you’d comfortably be able to cope with a 16/17 mph ave in a group ride. 1000ft and hour is a good climbing rate too.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Then son pace will be a lot lower than what I’ve quoted as a guide. You’ve got “proper” hills that way so a lot of climbs will be taken at 8-12mph dependant on gradient, of course you’ll hoone downhill the otherside but it’s deffo the climbs that will dictate the ave’s.

So…14-17mph should put you in the slow group and 18mph will put you in the fast(ish) group.

Call one of your local clubs, they’ll put you in touch with the Group Head who conducts the ridesa dn they’ll for sure help you out..
    The phone call won’t kill ya’s, you’ll find a happy smiling tone on the other end just aching to help you out.

Have fun..

Burn your lungs out.

sefton
    Free Member

horwich or Lancashire

sefton
    Free Member

my cassette is only 11-25 too which doesn’t help legs on the hills

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Embrace the burn. 🙂 Hope that’s with a double as well. 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nope it won’t but don’t give up, fitness will get you through it.

Pace, pick one that suits you, don’t get too bothered about what everyone elses is doing, do your own thing and get over the top..

It’s you, the bike, the hill first then it becomes you, the hill, the blokes around you then the bike, then it becomes you and the bloke in front of you.

oldgit
    Free Member

25 is fine…get used to it 🙂

seriously it’s fine with a compact, or go 27 with a standard.
    Talking about hills, my favorite local loop covers the first ten miles in under 1/2 hour and the second ten takes nearly an hour! That’s why averages are a bit of a nonsense. You need to know your ability, perhaps start with a steadier group?

oldgit
    Free Member

Bikebouy, what club do you ride for.

mudshark
    Free Member

I ride with SWRC – http://www.swrc.org.uk

We have 4 club runs on Saturdays supposedly with these average speeds on the flat:

C : 14mph
    B- : 16mph
    B+ : 18mph
    A : 20mph

I ride with B+ and am one of the fastest, will try A in the Spring I think. In practice the C group is OK for anyone who can ride 45 miles without collapsing and the A group will ride as fast as they feel like so easy to get dropped and left behind if this happens too much. When I’m on the front (B+) I find I do drop people as I maintain the same pace over rolling terrain. When we hit proper climbs we all go up at our own pace and regroup at the top.

BTW, people have commented on my smooth pedalling style, it’s because of the mtbing right?!

sefton
    Free Member

the rides was 17miles btw and yes its a compact.

might give the club a try in spring then.

rootes1

noticed TVSs last road ride was out from Woking to Henley and back 75miles at 19mph average as posted on FB

quite a noticeable difference that a few mph extra makes to a ride a 19 average loads more effort than 16 av round surrey hills

Mudshark – http://www.swrc.org.uk/ see you meet at Cobham like KW do – did not know about swrc

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Why wait? Join now and get some good winter base fitness while you can. It will really benefit you come spring and will make mountain biking more enjoyable too.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

sefton – Member

Now might be the best time to join them:-)

We get the most riders of all out on club runs this time of year (often as many as 40 who split into up to 4 groups). Have discovered some great routes / cafe stops etc.

Yes, sometimes you need to ride solo at your own pace but it’s great being led (not having to worry about routes etc) and having some ‘shelter’ and people to chat to.

We meet up at staggered times at a coffee shop and some people do ‘swap’ to a slower or faster group at that point.

mudshark
    Free Member

see you meet at Cobham like KW do

I thought KW meet in Surbiton, do you ride with them? I suppose they ride in similar areas, we sometimes start in Betchworth, east of Dorking, and go out to Kent which adds variety.

rootes1

I thought KW meet in Surbiton, do you ride with them? I suppose they ride in similar areas, we sometimes start in Betchworth, east of Dorking, and go out to Kent which adds variety.

Yep they do but sometimes that have a pick up point Cobham They had a meet at 08:45 last sat) next to that carpark by the footie ground – which is handier for Woking based bods.

Done a few rides with them as my ex neighbour is a member.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

this time of year is usually a trundle, in summer 18mph seems the benchmark

oldgit
    Free Member

I’d say join now before it all kicks off.

crikey
    Free Member

Join now, don’t do what I did and come off your first cross season and jump in straightaway to the chain gang with the ex pros and the first cats.

It was great for the first 60 miles, chatty, brisk, competent, then turned into through and off at 23-24-25 mph, and if you got dropped you rode home alone.

If you knew the way.

Or got a lift.

If your wife was in.

I cried in a phone box 50 miles from home when the call rang out, then took 4 hours to ride home…

oldgit
    Free Member

How long ago was that?
    I recall collapsing on the A41 aged 15 and started to eat the grass. One of the guys found a chemist and I got home by eating Dextrose tabs every mile.
    No mobiles or mums with cars.
    Gnnnaaaaar

I always take a peek at the raised manhole cover I spent a while sitting on as I pass in the car.

crikey
    Free Member

I got dropped north of Blackburn, and earned the nickname Tony for the next few years..

lazybike
    Free Member

I cried in a phone box 50 miles from home when the call rang out, then took 4 hours to ride home…

character building innit….

crikey
    Free Member

It focussed the mind, certainly!

I was told before exactly how it would be, but thought I was good enough to hang on. Not.. 🙂

lazybike
    Free Member

I was told before exactly how it would be, but thought I was good enough to hang on. Not..

you finished the ride under your own steam, sometimes thats enough…

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘what pace for road club rides?’ is closed to new replies.