Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • What makes a man go on a killing spree?
  • Ti29er
    Free Member

Not yet reported, but I heard it from a man in a pub, and he heard it from a man walking his dog that the Whitehaven killer shot dead his mother yesterday. And neither of his brothers turned up for work this morning.

Is this what may have tipped him over the "edge"? I'm sure as the story unfolds, we'll learn more.

1st the floods, then the coach crash and now these killings, Cumbria has really taken it in the neck this year.

Simply dreadful & my sympathies are with all the families caught up in this awful massacre.

falkirk-mark

News said it was BS that he killed his mother

cinnamon_girl

We all tread a very fine line. If you have not seen someone 'lose it', you are indeed fortunate. To see someone fighting their demons and the demons appearing to win, is not something you can forget.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coffeeking
    Free Member

As with cinnamon_girl, we're all closer than we'd like to think.

Just look at some of the threads on STW, I'd have put money on some people here going postal over the tories getting in.

cinnamon_girl

Actually, we should all be concerned about mental health especially in the current economic crisis. An awful lot of people are having a tough time, coping with loss of self-esteem, financial worries etc. We really do need to try hard and reach out to people.

cbrsyd
    Free Member

I thought this was another thread about mountain bike training courses?

smell_it
    Free Member

I'm not sure we all do tread a fine line, I can only think of now 3 people that have gone postal like this in my life time. Despite this being 3 to many, it does mean the staggering majority of us don't do this. This has been a needless and bewildering tradegy for all those effected, and they have my deepest sympathy. But I'm not going to be spending my days worrying about people who look a bit tense.

eldridge
    Free Member

We really do need to try hard and reach out to people.

The only way I want to reach out to a nutter with a shotgun (effective range 50 metres) is with a Barrett sniper rifle (effective range 1000 metres +)

cinnamon_girl

So if nobody could reach out to this killer, what does that say about our society?

According to those who knew him, he seemed an OK type of bloke, and they were genuinely shocked.

It comes back to treading a fine line …

smell_it
    Free Member

Yep, just fear everyone, it could have been any of us…….

eldridge
    Free Member

it could have been any of us

Couldn't have been me, mate

I don't have a shotgun

smell_it
    Free Member

Lol's @ eldridge….. But it seems you are treading a fine line 😉

cinnamon_girl

A bit of perception wouldn't go amiss.

Philby

Agree with Cinnamon Girl on this one – you can never quite predict the outcome of people who have for example been made redundant, the subsequent financial pressures, which can lead to relationship pressures, then to drink / drugs / domestic violence / homelessness etc. I have worked in the past with alot of homeless people who once had successful lives until a major crisis happened in their lives. Our increasingly fragmented families and communities mean support for those in need is often not available.

smell_it
    Free Member

I have no idea about the mental health status of the man who went on this spree, but I find events like this just harden the perception that the mentally ill are more dangerous than the general population, and since these are the people I spend my days working with, I see how this belief further isolates people. I feel this awful incident is an extreme but quite isolated incident, and I find the scaremongering a bit off.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

So if nobody could reach out to this killer, what does that say about our society?
    and
    According to those who knew him, he seemed an OK type of bloke

This makes no sense to me – so we're expected to reach out to people with no obvious problems ? Most of us want to get on with our own lives and would be useless at neutralising the psychotic.

it could have been any of us

my destructive inclinations are always directed at myself. I might be a selfish bastard but I would never want to inflict my personal demons on anyone else.

Woody
    Free Member

From interviews with people who 'knew him' it seems he gave no indication that any reaching out was required.

cinnamon_girl

OK, I'm going to get some flak now but I do believe that women are more tuned into reading the signs, showing empathy etc. We are more or less programmed into this from birth.

Define psychotic.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Define psychotic.

killing people for no reason

swiss01
    Free Member

seeing as the vast majority of the people i work with are women

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

user-removed
    Free Member

Our family has had its fair share of unhinged types (no blood relations… I think) over the generations and without wishing to cause offence to anyone, there's a good reason that the general populace are afraid of those who don't fit comfortably into the system.

Their behaviour is erratic. I've watched a cousin pull his brother down the stairs by his hair during an 'episode', whilst screaming in such a way that I'm still a six year old boy right now, watching it happen on Xmas day 1979.

Those who SNAP are the scariest of all. No warning, no doctors' notes.

swiss01
    Free Member

plus, why does he have to be a looper? it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that he had some sort of organic brain disease.

i might take some flak for this but i think when it comes to reason men are more tuned into it. we are more or less programmed for this from birth 😉

user-removed
    Free Member

I did wonder about the effects of a stroke…

smell_it
    Free Member

but I do believe that women are more tuned into reading the signs, showing empathy etc.

realises it's going to be one of those debates….so quietly backs away before it gets more pointless.

iDave
    Free Member

i work with a guy who is a bit scary. he's on probation for threatening someone with a baseball bat. he's totally shit at his job. he resents anyone successful while he sits on facebook all day. seems like he's from a decent family but he has always 'loses out' and of course its always someone else's fault. yesterday i could have decked him for being a complete arse if i was that way inclined. he will self-destruct, i just hope he doesn't take anyone with him. should i 'reach out to him', or stay very far away?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

all those effected

affected

Ti29er
    Free Member

Throw the first punch and follow it through with another (few). The run like Hell.

It's not your business so leave well alone. If you choose to make it your business you'd better know what you're doing & talking about & be prepared for the very long haul or he'll see you as someone else failing him and that will make you No1 target for when he gets his shot gun license.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

My ex.

geetee1972
    Free Member

OK, I'm going to get some flak now but I do believe that women are more tuned into reading the signs, showing empathy etc. We are more or less programmed into this from birth.

Just to back Cinnamon Girl up on this, there is empirical evidence to show that women are more likely to be tuned into 'feelings' especially other peoples' feelings than men. This evidence is provided by a number of personality profiling tools. By and large they show no gender related correlation for any personality characteristic apart from those associated with feeling and empathy, where there is a significant correlation.

It doesn't mean that men are not capable of posessing or even developing this capability.

However, I don't agree with the argument that we are all treading a fine line if by that you mean the line between keeping it together and going on a murderous rampage.

I think Cinammon Girl is describing the fact that life is often really quite hard and many of us have periods where we feel we're loosing it or are having a hard time coping. I've been there myself this year but while it was undoubtedly a difficult period, I don't think I came any where close to doing what this guy in Cumbria did.

Someone made the point that this kind of thing is desperately rare and of course it is. But the instance of mental health issues and depression are not rare. Perhaps what Cinnamon Girl is reflecting is a fine line between coping and having a nervous break down. While that very rarely results in a murderous rampage, it can be life destroying for the individual and those close to them.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've been there myself this year but while it was undoubtedly a difficult period, I don't think I came any where close to doing what this guy in Cumbria did.

And that's the key. Many, many people end up in a 'dark place' in their lives, I know I did once. But out of all those people 99.99999% of them will never go on a bender and shoot 12 people dead. And there's no way you can account for the odd loose cannon like that. It can't be done. Reading the paper today it strikes me this was the premeditated action of someone who knew EXACTLY what he was doing, and had planned it. Whatever you do you just can't even begin to believe that someone you know could be thinking stuff like that.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

show that women are more likely to be tuned into 'feelings' especially other peoples' feelings

uh, if you're not tuned into your own feelings you are a plank!

swiss01
    Free Member

sorry, i'm just getting over inhaling my rice krispies over the 'scientific' evidence that is personality profiling tools.

as i said – the women i work with
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

i could cite some actual data as to why it appears 'women are more in tune with feelings' but if we're going down the profiling route i'll just go for the homeopathic influence of the moon

smell_it
    Free Member

Someone made the point that this kind of thing is desperately rare and of course it is. But the instance of mental health issues and depression are not rare.

Yes it was me, and you are right mental health problems are not rare. But in general, people with mental health problems are no more dangerous than the general population, in fact probably less so.

http://www.mind.org.uk/help/research_and_policy/dangerousness_and_mental_health_the_facts

geetee1972
    Free Member

sorry, i'm just getting over inhaling my rice krispies over the 'scientific' evidence that is personality profiling tools.

Well I actually said 'empirical' not scientific, but I appreciate those terms can be interchangeable.

So Swiss01 I guess you’re a PhD in Psychology then are you? Oh no wait, you can’t be because if you were, or if you’d even bothered to read about how profiling tools actually work, you’d know that they are based on highly scientific approaches to generating data. These tools are driven by massive amounts of observed data and highly rigorous statistical analysis.

What you’re (ignorantly) confusing is the difference between what is scientific and what is predictable – perhaps you think that scientific means things have to be 100% predictable. Well I am not a scientist but I’m pretty sure that Heisenberg took care of that Victorian notion of science back in the early part of the last century.

There are issues with personality profiling tools and yes they have a much higher degree of variance in their data than other observable phenomena. We are also light years away from being able to truly understand the connection between personality/hard wired characteristics and behaviour although we can ‘predict’ with often pretty good results, how an individual might behave based on personality profiling as well as other observational data.

The issue with the guy in Cumbria is that this type of behaviour is characteristic of an outlier – they’re so far from the mean as to make it very difficult to predict.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

if you’d even bothered to read about how profiling tools actually work, you’d know that they are based on highly scientific approaches to generating data. These tools are driven by massive amounts of observed data and highly rigorous statistical analysis.

so nearly as accurate as weather forecasts then ? (or was it astrology ?)

but I’m pretty sure that Heisenberg took care of that Victorian notion of science

ah yes, the Heisenberg principal of uncertain diagnosis…

grittyshaker
    Free Member

It may be notable that West Cumbria is generally quite an isolated and economically disadvantaged area (a characteristic shared with Dunblane, I think).

Lack of traditional "male jobs"?
    Independent/self-reliant community spirit/identity?
    Abandoned by mainstream politics?

Material in this awful situation?

coffeeking
    Free Member

uh, if you're not tuned into your own feelings you are a plank!

Loads of people are not tuned into their own feelings, hence therapy thrives.

I'm not sure this sort of thing is something anyone can predict.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Loads of people are not tuned into their own feelings, hence therapy thrives.

at the risk of stating the obvious, if you can't feel it, it ent a feeling

geetee1972
    Free Member

so nearly as accurate as weather forecasts then ?

Personality profiles will typically give correlation values of up to 0.4, most are around 0.3, so yes, a high degree of uncertainty with regard the results but still a very significant correlation.

Astrology, graphology, palmology etc, correlation values typically around the 0.05 area so not remotely significant.

As for weather forecasts, also an inexact science but it doesn't stop us watching them every day or huge amounts of money being poured in to improving the forecasts.

Again, don't confuse scientific with predictability.

davidrussell
    Free Member

It may be notable that West Cumbria is generally quite an isolated and economically disadvantaged area (a characteristic shared with Dunblane, I think).

I live about 8 miles from Dunblane, and its far from an isolated or economically disadvantaged place.

I dont think there is any need to try and draw parallels at this stage.

EDIT: not having a go, but its all just speculation at the moment.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘What makes a man go on a killing spree?’ is closed to new replies.