Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 133 total)
  • What is Britain's best SINGLETRACK descent??
  • shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Did the lairig an laoigh and down into Glen Derry today with stuartie_c….fantastic section of trail, nice technical bits, some tough rocky bits, some rooty bits, pedally bits, and a few patches of snow which interrupted things a little 8)

GaVgAs
    Free Member

sorry lowey only got the lakes 😥

PeteG55
    Free Member

Glentress – Deliverance on the black route, still smiling about that one a week afterwards!

gordimhor

the next one 😀

Popocatapetl

north america on Cut gate to langsett. Fast and swoopy!

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Blackwater Dam to KLL?
    Ben Macdhui to Hutchison Hut?
    Capel Mounth into Glen Clova?

druidh
    Free Member

Does the Carn Ban Mor descent not count as singletrack then?

As said above, the Highlands are full of little, unpublicised, gems for those that want to go looking.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I did my most favourite route yet two weekends ago. The descent down Andrew Gannel Hill in the Ochils was amazing. A foot wide rut of a path traversing a 45 degree slope followed by technical rock sections with drops then switchbacks. Kind of scary at times but all the more fun for it.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

GiantJaunt – I did Andrew Gannel hill a couple of years ago, christ is it fast! I do not possess the skillz to do some of the rocky stuff right at the bottom, luckily managed to haul the brakes on in time.

druidh – I would say the top half of Carn Ban Mor isn't singletrack….but the bottom is 🙂

stuartie_c
    Free Member

and a few patches of snow which interrupted things a little 8)

A bit like this one. Cracking downhill despite the short interruptions. The last bit before Derry Lodge is just brilliant.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Triscombe Stone to the bottom of the Chimney or Somerton Combe both beat Smiths and Weacombe (but there is a bit more pedaling involved).

trail_rat
    Free Member

have to say the kilbo into glendoll is challenging – its an excellent piece of singletrack but it is far from the best imho …doesnt flow – its just series of dificult trails – which i like but to be the best i think it needs to have flow – be somewhere you can just let go and let your bike be at one with the trails ….

some of the singletrack in glen feshie for example swoopy flowing singletrack weaving in and out the trees or some of the natural stuff at innerleithen- not the trail center stuff it flows like an digital signal …

deliverence is no where near as good as it used to be – to many people who cant corner have cut it up to ****/braking bumps

**** it im going with gypsys glen – there hasnt been a trail that put a smile on my face like that for a while … – cant wait to go back to drumlanrig and ride the enterkin burn singletrack – if rik bangs on about it being great then it must be great – that lad knows trails !

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Triscombe Stone, followed by Jambo & Sharki's track followed by The Chimney is a current fave.

bland

Shooting cabins followed by Wormstones in the peaks is my current favourite

flap_jack
    Free Member

roller coaster at Woburn is short but insane…

Ambrose

Waun Fignen Felen down to Dan yr Ogof. Amazing. Gets steeper and faster and rockier the further down you go. Amazing. I always finish with a big grin on my chops. Cwm Doethie is stunning too, but more of a 'route' rather than a 'descent'.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

drop into DVCP is nice – 2 mile drop in 3 mins usually a great smile factor!!!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

thebikechain – Member
    Few of us went to the Peak Dist once and couldnt fathom why we had to link trails with roads when there looked to be trails available. It was then that i realised how lucky we are to be able to wander anywhere (within reason) that we like. Ahh, freedom.

ah, but i'm lucky not to feel restricted by such things!!

can't wait to get up to skye next week though…surely they have some of this singletrack stuff up there?!?!

69er
    Free Member

Doethie Valley

Far
    Free Member

Ambrose – can you recommend a route that includes the descent down into Dan yr Ogof? I've looked at it on the map a few times but never been able to figure out the best way to get to it?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

FAR – come out with us on a Wednesday evening if you can, I'm sure Ambrose can show you the way 😉

good friendly bunch

lowey

My own personal secret st.

Get orf my land!

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

stuartie_c – Member
    A bit like this one. Cracking downhill despite the short interruptions. The last bit before Derry Lodge is just brilliant.

Is that Glen Derry you're cycling down in the picture? I used to work in that area but wasn't heavily into mountain biking at the time. Mountain biking was actually frowned upon by some of the estates round there but that was pre SOAC. When I think back to the paths I walked they must be amazing for cycling. Did you go down to Derry Lodge on the east or west side of the burn? I'll have to get up there this summer.

_tom_
    Free Member

Not done many but my favourites so far are at the Long Mynd – Minton Batch and the final descent into Church Stretton (the one with ridiculously slippy mud near the bottom!).

druidh
    Free Member

The track from the Lairig Ghru to Derry Lodge is amazing in places, though it's more of a traverse than a descent.

Northwind

I love Talnotry Hill on Kirroughtree's black, mainly because it goes on forever and flows like little else.

Russell96

Bowerdale

stucowp
    Free Member

Lowey, I don't have one but can put one together for you as that is where I used to live and used it as my training route as a skin!

The descent down Crossfell is stunning as well but not really singletrack.

boxelder

Depends on weather, company and how well you're riding that day surely?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Ambrose / Far – interested too. Is the bridleway on the OS map a genuine trail on the ground? The Black Mountain has a certain reputation in that area….

didmatt
    Free Member

paulrockliffe – Member
    can't wait to get up to skye next week though…surely they have some of this singletrack stuff up there?!?!

theres some really nice singletrack in Skye although i never got round to doing the sligachan loop.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Minch Moor for me. Massive grin factor at the end of it. Bet its **** windy up there next week though.

theotherjonv

Did the Walls and Whites at Afan yesterday, and they're both cracking final descents.

Bosh
    Free Member

You'd do well to beat the Crug Mawr descent on the black mountains killer loop.

stoney
    Free Member

As mentioned earlier,

Ullock Pike off Skiddaw (cheeky)
    Hob Carton End Grizedale Pike
    Section after HB Hill, Kirroughtree.

😛

Far
    Free Member

valleydaddy – thanks for the offer but I live too far away for Weds evenings to be a realistic proposition.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

the bits you get to ride the most are the best – you get to know them so well, every root, rock, tree, drop off.

For me, EP (AKA larrys long one) going down through Wild Park in Brighton, yoghurt pots at holmbury, and barry knows best on holmbury.

All have the vital ingredients of being reasonably lengthy, pedaly, and fast and flowy.

Ambrose

agentdagnamit- the BW is most very definately there, absolutely. Plus a cheeky finish too- or so I'm told.

How to get to the top depends on your intention. Do you just want a 'hit' or as a part of a bigger ride. It is vague up from Cwm Giedd direction, even vaguer and a lot more strenuous from Llanddeusant- but SO much more rewarding.

For an evening ride we tend to start at the Gwynne Arms pub and ride a there and back route. Maximum pain on the climb 🙁 followed by a super fun descent 🙂

Hal
    Free Member

Golspie, oh yes! 8)

badnewz
    Free Member

Granny run in Exmoor.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘What is Britain's best SINGLETRACK descent??’ is closed to new replies.