Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • What is a clutched rear mech
  • franksinatra

I seem to have missed the issue notes on this, how do they work?

billyboy
    Free Member

Basically the mech includes an inhibitor you can activate which stops it working properly……………

It may also stop some of the chain slap.

Chicken/Egg. Egg/Chicken.

svalgis
    Free Member

That’s weird billy, mine shifts fine and eliminates all chain slap. You know you’re not supposed to install it with a hammer right?

stumpyjon

Marketing malarky……..

ddmonkey

Yeah sorry Billy I think my clutch rear mech is great, works a treat and no chain slap, totally reliable shifting. What’s not to like?

DickBarton

It stops the mech from having full movement which results in less chain slap. The ‘technology’ has always been there but marketing dictates that it is very new and therefore more expensive…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Does that mean it has a less springy spring?? 😆

edoverheels
    Free Member

You have to be a real hardcore hater not to like clutch mechs.

dti

nobody seems to have answered this question, i would like to know too.

what is a clutch mech? – how is is different from a normal mech?

jam-bo

it has a clutch.

mrelectric

Weh! Evening collective ar*ey mode..

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It has a clutch that stops the rear mech jockey wheel cage from swinging back and too on its spring when you go over the rough stuff. This significantly reduces chain slap and prevents the chain from jumping off the chain ring. The clutch allows the jockey wheel cage to move forward and back for shifting, but will effectively lock it in place once shifted.

Makes you wonde why it has taken them so long to introduce them really.

mattjg
    Free Member

^^ thanks

(having ridden one, I wouldn’t buy one without)

chiefgrooveguru

I hadn’t realised how gloriously quiet they make your bike until a mate came out on his full sus instead of his singlespeed and was clattering along behind me… 😉

oliverd1981
    Free Member

As I understand it it applies more friction and slows down the fore-aft movement of the derailleur cage so that when you hit a bump, instead of the mech deflecting and creating chain slack, the tension stays constant. It may do something clever like reduce this friction when you’re shifting but I’m going to be honest and say that I haven’t actually played with one

svalgis
    Free Member

I hadn’t realised how gloriously quiet they make your bike until a mate came out on his full sus instead of his singlespeed and was clattering along behind me…

Yeah, it’s quite amazing what a difference it makes. I’m currently using my spare, clutchless mech so I’m all too aware of that now.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Here’s a good article on the insides:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Inside-Shimanos-Shadow-Plus-Mech-and-How-To-Adjust-.html

I was riding some fast rocky descents last night and I really noticed the silence. Not noticeably stiffer to shift but no chain slap and much less likely to drop the chain. Brilliant.

Underhill
    Free Member

Does it make a noticeable difference to chain slap on a hardtail, or is it really only beneficial on a full susser?

svalgis
    Free Member

Does it make a noticeable difference to chain slap on a hardtail

Absolutely.

Speeder

Better described by those that beat me to it but I’ll summarize with the fact that I’ll never buy a regular mech again. (and that’s me using a Zee mech in a ghetto SRAM/Shimano 1×9 setup)

While it’s no doubt something new to sell us, you’d have to be the kind of person that can’t see the point of dropper posts to think it wasn’t a great idea.

JoeG
    Free Member

What is a clutched rear mech?

The best thing ever!* 😀

*I may have also said that about fatbikes, wide bars, dropper seatposts, ergon grips, hydraulic disc brakes, full suspension bikes, clipless pedals, suspension forks, flat narrow handlebars, bar ends, Shimano CS-M900 8 speed XTR cassettes, Suntour XC Pro 8 speed thumbshifters… 😳

pdw
    Free Member

It’s a one-way clutch, meaning the spring can move the jockey wheel back to take up chain slack just as easily as on a normal mech, but then requires extra force for the jockey wheel to move forwards again, reducing chain flap, and increasing the force needed to move onto larger gears.

I’ve never tried one, but unlike most recent bike “innovations”, it strikes me as a neat solution to a real world problem.

nickc

you’d have to be the kind of person that can’t see the point of dropper posts to think it wasn’t a great idea.

[puts hand up]

Love my clutch mech, it’s a fantastic bit of kit, don’t need a dropper post…

How’s that?

cr500dom
    Free Member

Are they available in 9speed ?
    I currently have a Medium cage X0, so would like something of a similar spec, but not ready to change every thing over to 10 speed

Speeder

[puts hand up]

Love my clutch mech, it’s a fantastic bit of kit, don’t need a dropper post…

How’s that?

I didn’t suggest it couldn’t work that way around 😉

Are they available in 9speed ?
    I currently have a Medium cage X0, so would like something of a similar spec, but not ready to change every thing over to 10 speed

You’re in luck as you’re using SRAM shifters you can just buy the Shimano 10 speed mech to suit you budget and fit it. Only modification required to work (well) is a 5mm spacer under the cable. See THIS thread.

I’ve done it with X9 shifter, Zee mech and 9 speed XTR casstte and chain and it works faultlessly.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Thats great thanks :mrgreen:
    I have XO shifters and a Lathe so I`ll make a spacer up
    Cheers
    Dom

njee20
    Free Member

The ‘technology’ has always been there but marketing dictates that it is very new and therefore more expensive…

Well yes clutch technology has existed for a long time, but no one has applied it to a mech, so it is new, and it’s barely any more expensive. Sarcasm fail, try again.

deejayen
    Free Member

Someone in a bike shop told me that you can’t (or maybe not supposed to) change gear when the clutch is activated. Surely that’s not right…is it..? He said that the idea was to switch it on at the start of a descent and it would stop the chain slapping about, but then you’d be locked into that one gear until you switched it off.

Mackem

That someone in a bike shop doesnt know what he’s talking about.

njee20
    Free Member

No, that’s bollocks. The only reason to release it is to make it easier to get the wheel out.

ska-49
    Free Member

Love my clutch mech! Noticeably quieter than my old one.

Garry_Lager

Is it stiff enough such that you wouldn’t need a chain device for 1×10, say?

perthmtb
    Free Member

PDW has it right – it is ratcheted so only works in one direction. It also has adjustable tension if you don’t like the extra stiffness it adds to gear changes.

In fact the only downside I can see is that because they’ve only been around a while, we don’t really know their reliability, or how long it takes for the clutch to wear and become less effective.

Meanwhile, here’s what it looks like…

ratherbeintobago

No, that’s bollocks. The only reason to release it is to make it easier to get the wheel out.

Not only is it bollocks, it won’t work with SRAM Type II as I gather the clutch activates automatically if you ride off with it disengaged.

Is it stiff enough such that you wouldn’t need a chain device for 1×10, say?

For XC use, the bloke in my LBS reckons so. I am prepared to give it a try to find out, but (without one of those wide/narrow toothed chainrings) I have a sneaking suspicion I’ll need a top guide at least.

ska-49
    Free Member

Gary- in my experience, yes. I’ve got a 1×10 on my chumba using a medium cage XT (above) and the chain hasn’t dropped yet.. Riding has been singletrack and XC so nothing adventurous (yet).

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks – I thought it sounded a bit barmy!

DickBarton

it’s barely any more expensive. Sarcasm fail, try again.

Nope, not sarcasm…fact…I said it was more expensive…and you confirmed it…even ‘barely’ is more…

Personally I’ve never had a problem with a chain dropping off due to going over rough stuff…admittedly I suspect I’m far less capable than most on this forum, but I’ve yet to ever drop a chain outside over/under shifting and not getting it right for whatever reason…I’ve never ridden along and managed to get my chain to come off over rough stuff. I can’t see the benefit of it (and I’ve yet to ride with anyone who has a chain dropping issue). My last chain drop was a good few years ago (due to skelping a mech to move it on the frame)…it just isn’t something I experience (or have seen happen to anyone else) – admittedly the last 2 years or so have been largely rides on my own so that isn’t going to help if this has suddenly just arrived on the scene…

The marketing is looking for something else to big up and this is nice – I think the concept is excellent, but I also don’t think it is needed.

I’m just waiting on my dropper coming back from warranty work…now that is a definite improvement on the faff of saddle height when you are anal about it as I am!

Macavity
    Free Member

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It’s good to ask the question OP. Quite embarrassing to demo a bike (with clutch) and then struggle to fit back wheel. That is until nice fellow cyclist puts you out of your misery and explains what the little black button is for!!!!

just4fun
    Free Member

Is the type 2 as good as the shimano version. Only I have an XT clutch mech on one bike which works really well. I have an X9 type 2 on another bike and it doesn’t seem to have anyway near the same effect. Is it possibly not working properly?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘What is a clutched rear mech’ is closed to new replies.