Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What helmet for my toddler?
  • beamers

I might be getting ahead of myself here but I am doing a bit of research into the purchase of my daughters first helmet.

She is 9 months old at present but with an eye to using our Chariot towed behind a bike both on (quiet) roads and (smooth) off road routes we need to get her fixed up with a helmet.

So, what helmets are the offspring of the STW Massive wearing this year and from what age?

The Giro Spree Infant Helmet looks nice:

Anyone have an opinion?

Ta in advance. (and Happy New Year!)

rolfharris
    Free Member

Get one that fits properly, simple as that. Also, look out for ones with a "soft spot" space that means during an impact the helmet never touches the softer part of a 9 month old's skull.

I know Met helmets have these, and a decent one like a Giro should too but I've not seen one.

beamers

Good advice.

I see that that the spree comes in "Universal infant size: 46 – 50cm" What exactly does that dimension relate to?

nuggett96
    Free Member

Met do the buddy and super buddy £19.99.
    As above about the soft spot they also keep the front in one piece with no vents so technically should be stronger and also better reinforcement around the back.

nuggett96
    Free Member

46-50 cm is head circumference.

rolfharris
    Free Member

It's around the head about 2cm above the brow, dipping back around the top of the ears.

I'd probably not buy one online, though. We see kids that are only a year old and they're already in the larger size, or will only get 6 months out of the small one. It can be a real pain to get them to try one on (we have some parents make a couple of trips into the shop before the kid will wear one!), but at least they can choose the colour.

beamers

Cool. Thanks all.

rp16v
    Free Member

got my 1yo a trek lid think its called a nipper or somthing allong those lines its te smallest we could find as she couldent fit in anything els

firestarter
    Free Member

my little one has a specialized one small fry i think it was called

aracer
    Free Member

For use in a Chariot, none. If you strap them in properly they're not going to hit anything unless the roll cage gets destroyed, in which case a helmet won't do much good. All it will do is push her head forward and make her uncomfortable. Mini-aracer has done many miles in his Cougar since he was a bit younger than your daughter, and never worn a helmet. Tipped it over once on a root, but he didn't seem too bothered, since the harness held him in place – though now he's a bit older I guess he's getting nearer the cage though. He has a helmet for use on his bike, but that was bought when he was almost 2.

takisawa2

My two had Giro Rascals for Xmas, but initially I ordered Spree's by mistake. Ace quality, like mini Xens. Plus they are nice & flat at the back.

Ogg

For use in a Chariot, none.

I'd second that – it'll just annoy them/give them a sore neck, young ones will fall asleep in seconds and their head will flop about (even more) with a lid on.

beamers

I love that picture above.

I have to admit that I was thinking the same thing about her being in the Chariot with a helmet on. If the crash is big enough that she needs a helmet to protect her head when she is in the Chariot then the helmet would be of no use anyway.

This topic came up on the Fredcast / Spokesman podcast the other week. David, the show presenter, saw someone pulling a Chariot in traffic with the the small occupant not wearing a helmet. He thought that the parent was being hugely irresponsible not equipping the child with a helmet. While it might be reckless riding in that environment if parent and child are hit by a car helmets would be of limited use.

I have already done numerous (and very careful) miles with a helmetless daughter in the chariot behind my bike and you are right, she was out like a light within minutes.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

*hijack* – those with chariots – how do they attach to your bike? I have a baby due very soon, but am thinking about a chariot for when it is older. Are they disc compatible?

simonm
    Free Member

Matt, It comes with a replacement QR skewer, has a universal coupling, a bit like a hip bone joint attached to the end of the skewer.

simonm
    Free Member

And Yes, Discs OK.

Bits for hook up are like this, hard to see the universal joint,

simonm
    Free Member

Ogg, Whats that foam part you have around the little one ?

beamers

That foam bit is the Infant Sling

The one at the end of that link is an updated version of the one that Ogg has installed.

The ball and socket joint means of attachment is very effective indeed. You can turn to the left without any hinderance at all. Tight turns to the right can be tricky due to the towbar touchingyou bikes back wheel but its only an issue if you are doing a mega tight turn.

Ogg

The infant sling is very good, gives a great deal more isolation from bumps – not that I've taken the little down anything more than bumpy doubletrack – but he's been enjoying it since he was 3 months (very sturdy lad no wobbly neck on this one!)
    I've only stopped using it now to take them to nursery as sub zero degrees seem a little bit harsh for a baby…

The hitch works with most bikes disc or V, ok on an alfine too – you may problems with odd dropouts, it won't fit my Orange P7 for instance.

And jfi I brought all of our Chariot kit from biker-boarder.de, free delivery and cheaper than buying from uk.

aracer
    Free Member

As others have said, the hitch connects to the QR skewer, so can be used with any style of bike – have pulled ours behind my full susser which has discs. As Ogg mentions, it can be difficult with some dropouts – my susser has cowled dropouts, so I had to attack the hitch mount with a file to make it fit (I'd suspect you could do the same for a P7, though don't know what the dropouts are like on that).

Personally I'm not that keen on putting kids in the trailer when they're too little – though not criticising those who do. Mini-aracer first went in one in a car seat when he was about 6 months, then in the Chariot with the baby supporter (which supports their head when they sit in the seat normally) a couple of months later. Of course Chariot suggest not pulling a child behind a trailer until they're 12 months old – but then they're a US company so you can take a lot of their safety advice with a pinch of salt (I don't think I've ever averaged less on a road ride than what they suggest as the maximum speed to pull the trailer at!)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What helmet for my toddler?’ is closed to new replies.