Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What FS bike for a newbie?
  • garthmerenghi
    Free Member

Started riding a year ago after I got a Boardman Pro HT via the bike to work scheme. Got the bug bad and have been changing pedals, tyres, chain rings, seat etc ever since. Want to get a FS bike this Summer but not sure what to go for. Is the Orange 5 as good as everyone says or is it just cool because it's built in the UK. I worry a 5 might seem very heavy compared with the Boradman. I ride mostly in the Mendips, Quantocks and round local trails in Bristol plus the odd trip to Cwmcarn. Any advice? Thanks

mboy
    Free Member

You got a Budget in mind?

And how much travel do you want?

Orange 5 pretty much as good as any, if a little pricey in my mind. Also check out…

Boardman FS
    Giant Trance X
    Trek Fuel EX
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
    Lapierre Zesty

To name a few!

Personally I'm a big fan of the Giant's, they are immense value for money, they ride brilliantly, and the suspension design is very active yet also amazingly resistant to pedal bob…

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

I was thinking maybe £2k up to £2.5 if I really push the boat out. The Boardman HT is really light which I love. I worry the 5 might seem a bit heavy by comparison. The Zesty seems to have good reviews.

anotherstan
    Free Member

£2.5k? …get yerself a sc superlight, middle of the road spec will keep you in budget, and come in around 25lb.

fastest bike on the planet!

don't listen to anyone else… they're all liars 😯

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

Interesting. Hadn't considered that before. LBS in Bristol has a carbon Blur XC which I keep stroking every time I go in. Way too much money for me though. Perhaps I'll buy a lottery ticket this week.
    I'll have a close look at the superlight – thanks

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

go for a 5 they do everything. my boss has one coming in at 26lbs. it has many many minty bits on it. 5 pro would do you right. and orange have an awesome warranty.

vrapan
    Free Member

Anthem X obviously. Very light, very fast and very very versatile. £2000 will get you an X2 with very decent but not brilliant kit.

At £2k-£2.5k though I'd get the frame, I'd get a pair of Stans wheels, a nice 100-120mm fork, a full XT group set from the likes of Merlin and cherry pick the finishing kit (which is what I've done :)). That would cost you just over £2 depending on forks and leave you enough for chocolate biscuits for the nice chap that will put it all together for you 🙂

Don't make the mistake and see it as a race only bike cause of its 4" of travel because it isn't. Give it 120mm on the front and it rides like a great trail bike that causes you no trouble on the ups. Also setup the back correctly and you will see no pedal bob either.

BillyBull
    Free Member

I know there is a mint condition second hand, and I mean absolutely mint, Whyte E120 in my local shop for £1650. They bought a Nomad shortly after as they wanted a more downhill.alps type bike. So it has hardly been riden. Save some dosh. It's at The Bike Place in Newcastle.

br
    Free Member

Anthem X is a good call, though you'll need to spend money to get it as light as your Boardman – why not look at the Boardman FS?

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

Thanks all for your thoughts. Feel drawn to the 5 like a month to a light but can't work out why. Is it lame to want a particular bike just because I think it looks good? Simplicity of the single pivot is a big attraction too. Got 2 small kids so time available for bike fiddling is limited. If I could build one to come in around 26lbs that would be a result. LBS has a demo bike available. Will give it a try I think.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

dont forget a Zesty, just got mine and I love it fast and easy to boss about.

5's are just uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggglyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

Any pics Valleydaddy? Must admit, pics I've seen of the zesty in mags look nice. Still love the agricultural look of the 5 though.

si-wilson
    Free Member

ahem… Could build you one these for around 2K 🙂

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

Mmm. Nice kit. Is that the XCL frame? Are there any demo bikes in the South West?

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I have seen that Whyte that BillyBull is talking about and it is very nice! Good build and light weight-could fit the bill if your used to a light hardtail as-well.

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads-up on the E120. I won't have the cash until the Summer though.

v10
    Free Member

18" Stock Anthem X2 is 25.6lb without pedals, so probably not a huge amount more than your HT. Ive made a few mods to mine and got it down to 24.05 with pedals.

eviljim
    Free Member

If you can try before you buy. if you will not have the cash for a bit get on as many bikes as you can and for a long as you can.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Is that the XCL frame?

it is indeed. I dont have a demo bike locally to you, but i should be able to sort something out. Mail me for details, Si

HansRey

just go big (but not too big) and get a marin quake 🙂 But, if you want something for those long rides, a 5 is fantastic. Have you considered any of Rocky Mountain's offerings?

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Maverick Boy's list looks pretty good to me but it depends on your budget. You might get a fairly good one for under a grand if it's cycle scheme. I'd look into that. I got a Trance X5 last spring under the scheme and I've hardly been off it since it's a great bike. The new Boardman got a good review and has great components. The Zesty's had good reviews too and looks like a work of art in my opinion but will probably cost you a fair bit more.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What FS bike for a newbie?’ is closed to new replies.