Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • what floating rotors for old m4 brakes??
  • catnap
    Free Member

howdo knowledgeable people of st
    i have a set of the older model black and gold m4 brakes and i want to order some gold floating rotors to fit, but im not sure what type i need to buy as the new style dont fit do they?
    anyone help me out?
    matt

coatesy
    Free Member

Should work fine, but be aware that rotor size will depend on whether you have post mount or IS(other than 160mm, add 3mm for post mount).

Militant_biker

These ones fit mine.

(inappropriate brake for the bike, but it was what I had spare…)

catnap
    Free Member

cheers good people
    militant biker, dont suppose you know the model number do you?

Militant_biker

The model number of the rotors?

EDIT: Can’t find this design on the Hope site any more, and see to be generally discontinued, but http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3668 lists them in Gold

catnap
    Free Member

are they v2 rotors ?

Militant_biker

Nah, don’t think they are V2 rotors. I bought the set of Mono M4s about 4 1/2 years ago with 203mm floaters on them – same design as these, then bought a 160mm rotor about 2 years back for the above build. I just got the shop to order a floating rotor :-/ I have one of the newer saw toothed rotors on the front wheel, but no way of swapping for compatibility unfortunately…

I think the only problem you’d face is clearance from the rivets – I know my old 203 floaters wouldn’t clear my Formula brakes, ergo I think the old Mono M4s have plenty of clearance.

One plan might be to give Hope a phone tomorrow – I’ve phoned them with compatibility questions in the past and they’ve been very helpful.

catnap
    Free Member

thanks m, b

yes ive mailed hope tonight as just wanted to make sure i orderd the right ones, although theres some on fleabay at the mo, so might try my hand with those
    cheers

coatesy
    Free Member

V type rotors have a much deeper braking surface than mono/tech X types, saw-tooth and normal type rotors are still available as far as i’m aware, and will be compatible with all Mono Mini, Mono M4, Tech X2 and Tech M4 calipers as long as they’re the correct diameter.

takisawa2

My mates is running saw tooth floaters with his Mono M4’s.
    Cant recall him having an issue with rotors, just the caliper fouling the mount on his DT Swiss forks I think.
    I’ve been running them with some Juicy 5’s. Had to dremmel away a bit of the caliper to clear the rivets. (Not as drastic as it sound, trust me).

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Any advantage using these compared to regular Shimano ones (e.g. 6-bolt)?

jere
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the 203mm are suitable for the older silver m4 calipers? currently i have a 185mm front rotor but need a +20mm adaptor but can’t find any 205mm rotors

coatesy
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s an M4 not a E4? E4’s used a 185mm rotor, IS mounted M4’s used a 180mm.

jere
    Free Member

Yeah it’s an old M4 with the 4 separate pads per caliper not a mono M4. Just re-measured the front disc and it is 185mm

Kevevs
    Free Member

I had to get a 185mm rotor to fit a front blk/Gld post mount mono M4. caliper no. 11 (fitted with an adaptor to my IS fork).
    this one from CRC
    hope floating disc mono 6-pot

jere
    Free Member

Looks like i need a 205mm rotor then. Anyone got one for sale

ratboy158
    Free Member

@catnap, are your M4s IS or post mount?
    As coatesy says, if they are IS mount you will need a 200mm rotor, NOT 203mm, & I’m pretty sure they don’t do 200mm floating rotors.
    203mm will foul the caliper.
    If they are post mount you will be ok.
    I found out the hard way!

ratboy158
    Free Member

Oops, wrong again! just looked on their website & Hope do floating rotors in ALL sizes.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘what floating rotors for old m4 brakes??’ is closed to new replies.