Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What flats for a road bike?
  • duntmatter
    Free Member

I’ve just got my first non-MTB. SPDs scare me, so they came off straight away. I’m using some spare Shimano DX flats for now.

I’m assuming there are lighter road flats out there, but I just don’t know. What flat pedals should I be using?

warton
    Free Member

flats on road will be awful, try toe clips?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Can’t you just use some track type pedals with toe straps.

Have a look Here

mrmo
    Free Member

flats on a road bike!! MTFU fit clipless pedals, toestraps are scarier than clipless, and flats, unless you have a medical excuse have no place on a road bike.

Gary_M
    Free Member

And here for pedals

And ignore the mtfu nonsense, if you feel comfortable with flat pedals then that’s fine. Power grips would be worth a look too.

ratadog

After some experimentation I finished up going for a pair of MKS GR9 and some strapless toeclips like the Zefal or Delta ones in the link above. The GR9’s are also to be found amongst those listed on the SJS site via the link above. I agree with Gary M, go with what makes you feel comfortable. I found that this combination gave me some stability without feeling tied in.

RealMan
    Free Member

What flats for a road bike?

Can the mods delete this thread please?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Why? Perhaps instead of flats the op should have said standard pedals in case anyone got offended. 🙄

MrSmith
    Free Member

give the guy a break. he may be a pensioner or infirm and not be up to using a pedal system used by the able bodied.

mrmo
    Free Member

I will try and be a bit more constructive on this. Toe straps work best when tight, but by being tight can be a real liability when riding in town, or when you forget to slacken them off 😮

Yes there is a learning curve with clipless pedals, maybe a few hours to get the hang of flicking your heel to get out. The advantages are many not just the ability to put power down, but your feet aren’t going to slip off at the wrong time, you can ride up hill far easier as you can actually pull up with out fear of you feet coming off the pedals. Then there are things like being able to use overshoes in the winter to keep feet warmer. No straps cutting blood off to your toes. Better lean angles when pedaling through corners.

disadvantages only really apply to pure road pedals when you want to walk, but spds solve that if your looking at touring rather than racing as a motive.

Power grips still restrict the foot more than clipless pedals.

njee20
    Free Member

Cornering clearance with flats will be a problem! Get some SPDs, far more user friendly than clips.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Power grips still restrict the foot more than clipless pedals

No they won’t. Having used power grips in my early days of mtbing I can confirm that’s not the case at all.

TheChunk
    Free Member

I’d say at least give some MTB SPDs a go before giving up on them.

I’ve recently got my first road bike and, having never used SPDs before, I don’t find them a problem at all – admittedly I’ve got them set as slack as they’ll go to start with.

wors

Practise clipping in and out before you go out on a ride. You only need to unclip in traffic/lights anyway. Fwiw i use clipless on the road but prefer flats on the mtb.

Kevevs
    Free Member

have a few short bikepath/towpath rides on the spds. you’ll have a few comedy sideways falls when stopping/starting (if like me), but you’ll slowly get used to them. Then after a while you won’t be without them.

matthewjb
    Free Member

If you’re doing the toes straps up properly then clipless will be much easier to get out of.

And using clipless on the road is generally easier than off road. You tend to have more warning of when you need to stop and disengage.

Go for some SPDs or Crank Bros and MTB shoes and then you’ll be able to walk as well.

Northwind

I’d really say to try SPDs, it really is better. But, I use flats because my knee’s foobar’d, and I’d say don’t worry excessively. In fact my commuter’s got the horrible wellgos that came on my cheapo Carrera mtb. You don’t need much in the way of grip so spiky flats are excessive and just a recipe for catching yourself while pushing the bike around. If I had to buy a set I’d possibly just get some wellgo mg1s and take most of the pins out, there are nicer more road-oriented flats but they’re expensive.

The trick will be to work on a really nice spin, which isn’t exactly brain surgery but still not that easy to do.

duntmatter
    Free Member

I use flats because my knee’s foobar’d

This too.

Cheers for all your posts. Food for thought there.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What flats for a road bike?’ is closed to new replies.