Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • What family car??(hatch)
  • Edukator
    Free Member

I've limited myself to one quote each time caledonia.

I am thinking, that's why you don't like it.

The OP chose a bike forum to ask about cars and as one might expect has a pile fo useless information from people than know no more than he already does himself. In fact he knows a lot more. He knows which brands he feels compforatable with, exactly how much space he needs. How much he intends to break the speed limit by, what his friends will consider cool, what his girlfriend/wife/boyfriend will approve of.

Edukator
    Free Member

So if you change down you can maintain the speed limit – how is the car underpowered?

edukator you are one miserable ****!!

I'm not the one posting a car thread on a bike forum.

NZCol

Its a chat forum on a bike form. Bike stuff is over there <—–

I have owned Foresters, Legacys and Imprezas. They all work but the Legacy would be the choice for me if I wanted a wagon to meet your needs. The new diseasle is very smooth to drive and quite frugal with it. Same interior spec and obviously the normal full time 4wd if you want that extra security. I think expensive in UK to service though. But we've had 2 legacys with no issues in 10 years. (I also had a forester XT and an XS and an Impreza WRX STi).

Edukator
    Free Member

NZCol – the Suburu fan advises a Subaru, who'd have thunk it.

Wow Col you had a an Impressa WRXXSTILXGT wotsit. Wow man you're really cool. I've long admired people like you that have a flash mock rally car that says "I'm a dare devil rally jacketed law breaker" to all the girlies.

NZCol

Yeah I know, what can i say hopefully the 911 meets more of your standards. Not that you'd have ever driven one or indeed ever will you sadsack.

Stu_N

Go to one of the car warehouse places to have a look at lots of things and see what you like. Sounds like you are looking at Mondeo/ Vectra size cars. Obvious things to look at would be those two plus Mazda 6 (Mondeo based), Octavia, Legacy/ Forrester, Laguna, C5. Also Passat and V70 (though no 5dr options I don't think). Bigger cars tend to have better build quality than small ones so less to choose between "basic" and "premium" manufacturers. A4s and 3 series are quite small relative to the above; 5 series or A6 is a better comparison.

As an aside, have you considered an estate? Probably better than a hatch for biking and dogs and there doesn't seem to be a downside apart from a few hundred quid more (but money well spent IMO). I got a Focus estate five years ago and wouldn't consider a hatch or saloon again, just so much more space and flexibility.

If you're going for a car that size IMO a 130/140 brake TDi would be the minimum; anything less would feel a bit gutless. They are big, and so heavy cars and take a lot to get them moving and a bigger engine will make for a more relaxing drive.

Finally have a look at honest john website for specs and issues, seems to be a good, unbiased source of info.

Stu_N

Oh, and Edukator, go and have a look at the forum guidelines and see what it says about "negative use of the forum", and then have a good hard look at your posts.

sc-xc

I agree with Edukator. Ban everyone that posts on threads about cars.

safehandsduffy
    Free Member

bikes,kids,dogs what you need is vw touran 2.0 tdi job done

sc-xc

I'm not the one posting a car thread on a bike forum.

Edukator – Member

I push it outside when it rains and brush the glass bits.

Edukator – Member

Dab the brakes a couple of times with the throttle open and you lose the brake servo. Virtually no brakes, no key, no clutch and a locked box – you're stuffed. Attempting to spin the thing using the handbrake or pendulum is all I can come up with.

Edukator – Member

From the linked report the only way the driver could have avoided a controlled or uncontrolled carsh would have been to hold the start button down for more than three seconds. I didn't know you could stop a car with card/button ignition by holding the button down for three seconds before reading the report – how many of you did?

Edukator – Member

Because it won't let you lock the wheels which you'd have to do to stall the engine. If you try to decelerate faster than the sytem is programmed to accept it kicks in and modulates the Brakes. Old autos could be shifted to neutral but now they have fuel-saving lockouts I very much doubt you can at speed.

I was surprised that someone said that is you brake in a Passat it automatically cuts throttle. I've been able to left-foot brake in every FWD car I've ever driven with no effect on power.

Edukator – Member

Lupo or C1

Edukator – Member

Winter tyres will allow your humble FWD hatch to cruise past 4x4s on summer tyres for somewhat less cash. It'll stop and steer better too.

Edukator – Member

I had to drive a landy for work and it was quite the worst vehicle I've ever used on snowy roads. 4X4 doesn't improve braking a jot, and the combination of stiff suspension and unsuitable tyres made it a liability.

Edukator – Member

How would the gearbox help? The best way of stopping on soft snow is to lock all the wheels and if there's enough space put the vehicle sideways. Even ABS is a handicap (but pulling a lead off any of the sensors has disabled it on the cars I've owned).

Edukator – Member

The only way to stop in really slippy conditions is to keep the wheels turning fractionally slower than you are moving

On mud maybe but on ice your best options are locked or limit of adhesion with the brakes. Once you've got any kind of slip angle at all you have much the same resitance as locked so wehlls moving at slightly less than road speed won't do better than locked. Unless you have 3 x LSDs what happens is some of the wheels turn at road speed whilst others spin uselessly at varying speeds – you have the braking force of the wheel with the least grip rather than the wheel with the most grip. LSDs improve matter but you're still better off dosing the foot brake. You can feel for the limit of adhesion with the brakes but you can't with engine braking.

Edukator – Member

On the sideways point: Just putting the vehicle slightly out of line gets you four wheels attacking fresh snow rather than two rears following on snow compacted by the front wheels. Sidewalls offer a squarer edge which ploughs snow better and offers more resistance when really sideways.

"Clutch down and steer" are words to remember when you think all is lost.

That's the way I roll on a Saturday night. I love my crazy social life.

mrmo
    Free Member

edukator, having seen your contribution to another thread, a few minor points cars are a nuisance, but due to the world we live in there isn't a lot of option. i would much rather travel by train than drive, but many of the places work asks i goto can not be reached by public transport. and yes you will get stuck in traffic jams, yes there will be pollution, yes cars do break and need to be fixed but all i ask of a car is that it gets me from a to b in the most relaxed manner. i do not want to be constantly changing gear, i do not want to have back ache from some badly designed seat and control layout, i do not want to spend my time wondering what is in my blind spot, As i said earlier i found the mondeo a nice place to be and the insignia was not.

Finally this is not a bike forum, this is a chat forum, for non bike related topics.

Edukator
    Free Member

A 911, you know what people assume about men sitting in 911s don't you? Quite apart from the obvious fact they are posers.

A 911? I mean why? To prove you are the kind of real man that can master a fundamentally flawed design that is a sales succes in spite of it's qualities rather than because of them? (but proably can't). It's totally useless unless you have private track as getting anywhere near its limits on the road will soon result in a big bill and/or the loss of your licence. A 911 is all about image and you must be pretty thick skinned to not realise what people are thinking.

br
    Free Member

I ran an 06 Vectra SRI 2.2 auto petrol for 2 years and 70k as a company car.

30-33mpg average (usually going v.quick as on a fuel card), servicing was less than £150 per 20k, not so bad on tyres/brakes etc.

Good size, and plenty of room for passengers and luggage.

Handled well, no really it did.

Edukator
    Free Member

Why thank you Barry, so kind of you provide posts that indicate I really do know what I'm talking about if/when I chose to. I could indeed spend every saturday night correcting all the inaccurate stuff posted on this forum realating to cars.

NZCol

A 911, you know what people assume about men sitting in 911s don't you? Quite apart from the obvious fact they are posers.

A 911? I mean why? To prove you are the kind of real man that can master a fundamentally flawed design that is a sales succes in spite of it's qualities rather than because of them? (but proably can't). It's totally useless unless you have private track as getting anywhere near its limits on the road will soon result in a big bill and/or the loss of your licence. A 911 is all about image and you must be pretty thick skinned to not realise what people are thinking.

Half are thinking "what a c0ck" the other half are thinking "man thats nice". Quite often the half that appreciate it are quite keen to have a look and a chat which is nice. The first half i actually don't care about which means I must be thick skinned. I don;t defend it because i don;t feel the need to. I can afford to own cars like that, but if you actually knew me you'd know that i really don;t care and enjoy driving my diesel van almost as much. But then, having a private track i can access means I can drive the 911 as often as I like in a controlled environment. I always console myself with the fact that the half that hate it are the half that will never take enough risks in life to make enough dough to enjoy things like that and will plod along in their boring lives moaning about people posting inaccurate information on internet forums while one hand surfing alone on a Saturday night. I've enjoyed this as it has livened up what would otherwise be a very dull Sunday morning conference call and I had such a fantastic training ride first thing I am now off to fire up the BBQ with a group of mates before we sit in the sun and enjoy some football with a couple of beers. Best of luck, enjoy your evening.

NZCol

and Edukator I know you want to so you can have a look at it on one of the other car threads posted a few days back about a F430. I mean, you are a car guru so you'll be interested to see what a 96 993 Targa looks like.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I am on my 2nd Octavia vRS hatch. I foolishly sold my first one (bought it in 2003 before most folk knew about them), had a short love affair with a MK2 MR2 and guess what I missed the Octavia so got another. Absolutely great cars the boot is 'kin huge, it is v reliable, in tdi form they are economical, there is plenty of space inside mine came with all the gizmos as standard (bar cruise cost me £120 to get it fitted)mine is 8 years old and still feels like a new car. If I ever replace it, it will deffo be another Octavia.

Gary_C

My old grandad used to say:

"If you've something to say,say something.If you've nowt to say,say nowt.But don't say something about nowt!"

A wise piece of advice that a poster on here could heed….

transporter13
    Free Member

Is there any way that I can block certain members' posts from appearing on my screen??its getting boring now 🙄

who cares that the op has asked advice about cars on a bike forum…..edukator why dont you go and play on bikeradar or sdh?

bigbloke
    Free Member

FWIW………

We have owned a Renault Laguna for 4 yrs 1.8 petrol….superb, only needed tyres, brake pads, cam belt. Otherwise great.

Bought a Renault Megane (big bum model) again excellent for the 18 months we had it .

Wife has now got a Renault Scenic…. 2 yrs so far ….no faults 1.6 petrol.

My last car was an Alfa 156 1.8TS…..high mileage with no major probs only wear and tear….brakes etc. Did need a starter motor though.

I now own a Peugeot 307 1.6 HDi which i really like, 5 door version.Even got a roof rack on top .

My point is don't listen to stereo typing, make your own choice. As you can see from the above list of cars mainly french (oh my god flimsy etc etc) have been great.

Also my Alfa which have/had a terrible reputation was superb.

I second the comment about car supermarkets the choice is much more varied and you can sample a more varied range all under the one roof.

hora
    Free Member

I now own a Peugeot 307 1.6 HDi

Which is the same engine in the Focus and C-Max..

Agree. Its annual services with evidence of the big scheduled services being carried out (these can cost upto £700). If your budget is upto £6k- a big service would normally be coming upto due.

I'd love an Alfa. Really would.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Plain but solid choice would be a Golf di meets all your wants and they are decent cars. Maybe like this.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201007352679221/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_40000_miles/fuel-type/diesel/model/golf/make/volkswagen/page/5/radius/1501/postcode/kt89lg?previous=/search/used/cars/volkswagen/golf/postcode/kt89lg/radius/1501/maximum-mileage/up_to_40000_miles/fuel-type/diesel/page/5/sort/priceasc&logcode=p

I have had several golfs over the years and they are good cars and comfy for the mileages you're going to do.

From personal experience the Saab 9-3 and Volvo V50 are very comfortable mileage munchers Saabs have the best seats I've ever sat in.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

How about a Seat Altea there quite sporty and well built, my friend has one and so do his parents and inlaws and they have no complaints, the 1.9 TDI is pretty quick, and you may get a good deal on a newer model with trade in.

hora
    Free Member

Genius. Yes.

In Barcelona we were in a 300,000 (MILES) Altea TDI on the way from the centre to the airport. It didnt squeek or rattle either.

I took our old one through a few countries at a fair speed 🙂

You can also dissemble your bike and leave it in the boot unseen overnight.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Is Edukator not getting any lol! Pointless rant-tastic.

johnners
    Free Member

Is Edukator not getting any lol! Pointless rant-tastic

He's basically right though. I know a bit about the car I own*, very little first hand about anything else and I suspect most of the stw car "experts" on here are in the same boat.

*1.8 Mondeo, so the smallest available engine in a fairly heavy car. Still don't have to come out of 5th to maintain 70 on any UK motorway hill though.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Barry Bethel – Member

Don't buy a French car, they're flimsy. Get German, they're solid.
    Right, that's why my old Pug works happily 7 days a week regardless the conditions with no maintenance required whilst all the new BMW's were abandoned when snow came down.

sc-xc

I posted that in response to this:

What this lot know about cars could be written on the back of psotage stamp yet you post up here. Why? Is it a lack of thought, tact or trolling? There are all sort of places on the Net where people reside that can give you more than "they're German so they're solid" (despite lousy crash test results) or "they're French so they're flimsey" (despite topping crash test tables) or "they're unreliable" because a distant relative didn't replace the cam belt and it broke.

I drive a Renault, and it's ace.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

He is basically ranting. The OP asked what else there is and will get the anecdotal views of a cross-section of people in similar situations to him. What else would he get other than opinions? Did he ever say he wanted more than opinions and ideas?

freddyg
    Free Member

johnners – Member

He's basically right though. I know a bit about the car I own*, very little first hand about anything else and I suspect most of the stw car "experts" on here are in the same boat.

He may be right, but there's no need to be a complete nobber about it. Coming on to a forum like this and asking a question is not necessarily a bad thing. It's generally populated by decent folk who will express an honest opinion. Read through the posts and people have posted their experiences of the cars they have owned – good and bad. What's the problem with that? TBH, I thought that Edukator was either an angry little twunt teenager who's mum and dad had gone out for the night, or a menopausal man-hater. 😀

FWIW OP, I have no experience of diesel cars but found my old petrol Saab 9000 to be brilliant – I PX'd it (at 300k miles) for a petrol Honda CR-V, so I could easily get my diving gear in the back; I've had it 9 years now and it's starting to get a little long in the tooth. I'm looking at replacing it sometime this year and I'm looking at a Mazda 6 estate diesel.

tthew

What else other than opinions and comparisons can you expect when asking about cars? If there was a scientific measure there would be about 5 different types of cars on the roads, only varying in size. As far as I know there is no SI or derived unit of car decency.

Mackem

I like my Meriva. Ticks most of your boxes.

johnners
    Free Member

He may be right, but there's no need to be a complete nobber about it. Coming on to a forum like this and asking a question is not necessarily a bad thing.

True enough, he certainly went off on one a bit! But the OP has had a few opinions (informed or – more usually – not) and we've all had a bit of entertainment, so job done.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Skoda Octavia Vrs hatch.

Quick, decent handling, efficient, comfy, plenty of room, big boot, reliable.

tron
    Free Member

Most family hatches are fairly grim. I had a 406 which was reputed to handle wonderfully for a car of that class, and whilst it would carry a lot of speed, it wasn't engaging to drive at all. Was a good motorway cruiser so long as you weren't in one of the rev ranges that the dashboard resonated at. As for Renault, most Meganes seem to come from the factory looking like they had a cheap accident repair.

If driver enjoyment is a serious issue, I'd go and try a BMW estate. The 2.0D can do its turbo in 50k though.

Edukator
    Free Member

Twice last night mastilles, and you? I love the speculation and assumptions about my financial status, lack of success in business and life in general, age, lifestyle, politics and agenda. And if I was right… .

All those material things are no substitute for what you crave most NZCol.

NZCol

You're right.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Does fisting one or two count? 🙂 (anyone prepared to brag clearly *isn't* getting any action). 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Avensis

Funnily I test drove a 2001 1.8 petrol yesterday. full history/1 owner for 1.7k. It was tight, not a squeek and perky. I drove it over the same roads that I'd come in on and I did notice quite abit of under/oversteer compared to mine 😯

Saying that. Theres a reason why taxi drivers buy S/R/W reg Avensis's and run them to potentially stellar mileages.

I'd consider a hatchback Avensis for peanuts. No cambelt on the 1.8 either and its PEANUTS to buy/run with an interior that doesnt look tired.

Im sold. As soon as I sell my Subaru I am buying one.

steviegil
    Free Member

For your budget i would be looking at the vectra CDTi as you will get a newer one with less miles compared to pretty much anything else. I owned one for a couple of years and they are good family cars/workhorses with a decent mix of power and economy(i averaged 45+mpg) also if you want more power they are very tunable like most modern diesels.

The faults to look out for are – EGR valves, inlet manifold issues, injector #3 fault, DMF's….

HTH

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘What family car??(hatch)’ is closed to new replies.