Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What does 'Deore' mean??
  • tang
    Free Member

25 years of this word being a large part of my vocabulary I have no idea what it means, if anything. I shall not google but let one of you lot prove your geekness. Guesses welcome.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Is it a Frenchism?

‘d’or’ = made of gold
    ‘dorée’ = golden

mute
    Free Member

I think it was a bad translation from japanese and was susposed to be deer.

lister

Something like: ‘why spend any more cos this works perfectly well you label tart’ ? 😉

tang
    Free Member

deer, now that would be handy i see lots of them and had a childhood obsession with john deere tractors….

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Does Enough Of Rapid Exchanges

Dear Everyone Orvil Rides Emu

Dead Expensive Or Rapidly Edible

Dave Eats Ostrich Ribs Exclusively

I could go on 😳

firestarter
    Free Member

You couldn’t afford xtr 😉

epicyclo

Japanese for Heavy XT

tang
    Free Member

its all deore is it not? couldnt afford xt11 more likely for me.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Nothing, it’s just a name?

nickc

julianwilson is right, it used to be De Ore. Connection was supposed to suggest French cycling history…or something.

theotherjonv

‘More sense than money’

scaredypants

it’s mancunian for expensive

Ewan
    Free Member

Well the original Deore XT stuff had a picture of a deer on it didn’t it – I think it was just a dodgy bit of translation.

It’s all deore anyway (Deore XT etc)

tang
    Free Member

[ 2 syll. da-rwi(n), dar-w-in ] The boy name Darwin is pronounced DAARWIHN †. Darwin’s origin is Old English, and its use, English. The name’s meaning is ‘dear friend’. From deore meaning ‘dear’ ; wine meaning ‘friend’. The first name is derived from the surname, which itself evolved from the personal name Deorwine (Old English). The surname is famous from the naturalist Charles Darwin (1809-1882). Variations of Darwin include the English Dar, the English Darvin, the name Darwen, the name Darwon, the name Darwyn, and the English Derwin.

well we could put a tenuous connection to Darwin. He must of been thinking of bikes when he was writing evolution of the species.

clubber
    Free Member

As above. It’s a bad translation. A deer/stag was on some early Shimano stuff. (google Shimano deerhead)

njee20
    Free Member

XTRs not Deore, nor is SLX, no idea what it means though!

juan
    Free Member

dehors… Out 😀

bullheart
    Free Member

I think I read in an old copy of ST that it was originally supposed to be D’Or as in ‘gold’, to suggest a gold standard in rear derailleur technology, but it was translated incorrectly and became ‘Deore’. I’m fairly sure the stag logo is a red herring, although obviously present on the kit itself.

swamp_boy

Shame about the deer being a red herring, it could be cycling’s equivalent of the Mitsubishi Starion story – claimed by Mitsubishi to be a contraction of “Star of Orion”, although urban legend claims that it was intended to be stallion, as a result of an “Engrish” mistranslation.

Wozza
    Free Member

it’s mancunian for expensive

LoL

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

SONY – Is a Jap mistranslation of “Sunny”. Having worked for a Jap company I can confirm you see a lot of this (Engrish).

I would also guess Deore is De Ore – or D’Ore, Latin derived (French, Spanish, Italian) phrase meaning “Of Gold” or “Golden”.

uplink
    Free Member

It’s just a made up name that they thought sounded OK

The Japs do loads of this

I used to work for Yamaha Europe in Amsterdam back in the 80s some of the English names & slogans that used to come from head office in Japan had me in stitches, it wasn’t always obvious to the Dutch though so we had some comical slogans on some of the promo stuff

oldgit
    Free Member

It’s named after Christian Deore the famous designerist.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What does 'Deore' mean??’ is closed to new replies.