Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What do you treat your decking with?
  • Freester

T’other decking thread reminded me. We’ve got decking in our new to us home. The decking’s looking a bit sorry (read colourless) and slippery as a slippery thing when wet. Guess it needs cleaning and colouring / treating?

What’s the recommendations?

eightyeight
    Free Member

Disdain.

nedrapier

Schaeffers Deck Sealant.

bearnecessities

Petrol and and a freshly struck swan vesta.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Schaeffers

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA_EpA35n-8[/video]

sharkbait
    Free Member

Flowers and maybe chocolates.

stumpyjon

Liberon deck oil, fairly cheap and by far better than the stains, doesn’t flake in the same way.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thin bleach to clean it, just brush it on with seeping brush then wash it off half an hour later. Coat in whichever decking oil is on sale.

jimdubleyou

Nice cup of coffee and a slice of cake.

bensales
    Free Member

I’ve also been going with disdain for a few years but under orders from The Financial Commitee, it is To Be Dealt With this year.

Unfortunately that means make it look good, rather than burn it, so it’s been jetwashed, and it’ll be getting painted with Ronseal Deck Rescue this weekend. Stains and oils are out due to the remnants of a previous paint application and I’m not sanding all 36m2 of it.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

FIRE!

Orrible, slippery, bouncy, high-maintenance crap. Replace with paving.

TheBrick
    Free Member

nedrapier – Member
    Schaeffers Deck Sealant.

Beaten to it!

blader1611
    Free Member

Screwfix sell no nonsense decking oil which is by far cheaper than the other suggestions and its great. Did mine last year and it still looks like new after being abused by children and a winter of monsoons.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Clean it before you treat it. Oxygen bleach, scrub and pressure wash
    Apply oil or stain once fully dry and sanded with a good dry weather window for it to dry

Freester

Cheers all. Giggling at some of the replies. Unfortunately it’s here to stay until I’ve got the funds to replace it with some paving! Where do I buy a tin of this Disdain?!

Seriously… What’s the difference between the No nonsense decking oil and the sealant and protector?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What do you treat your decking with?’ is closed to new replies.