Viewing 15 posts - 161 through 175 (of 175 total)
  • What do I pay my Licence fee for…?
  • RichPenny
    Free Member

why should I pay to have other people’s kids to be educated.

Cos society is better with an educated population, innit. But I know you knew that 😉

Back to the OP, you pay your licence so I can watch iplayer and listen to TMS for free… Sucker 😆

Euro
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

No they don’t

Oops, seems you’re spot on Graham. Last I checked (a good few years ago), the law was different. Seems the Beeb isn’t adverse to change after all.

On the subject of children’s TV. I’ve a nine and three year old who don’t like bbc programmes. They prefer the disney and nickelodeon variants. While I find the relentless bombardment of toy adverts on sky tiresome, it doesn’t spoil their enjoyment of their favoutite programmes and makes it easier to suggest possible birthday presents to grannies and grandas i.e. Everything they bloody see 😆

xiphon
    Free Member

Don’t pay a tv license (written to them to state this), and download hundreds of episodes of tv series.

oops.

Junkyard
    Free Member

They prefer the disney and nickelodeon variants.

I blame the parents.
    I cant decide if i mean that or if it is just a sarcastic joke 😕

Lifer
    Free Member

“I’m alright jack screw the rest of you”

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Advertising would force the BBC to become commercial and drop anything interesting, informative or minority for more mainstream audience grabbers. Basically it would turn it into a second ITV.

It’s worse than that. If ITV (and Channel 4) had to compete with the BBC for advertisers, then they would have even less money – already they are struggling with the multitude of commercial channels which have appeared in recent years.

The BBC would attract a very substantial amount of big advertisers leaving ITV with less money to spend on half decent programmes. The consequence of this would be plunging standards and quality, which would have an effect right across the whole industry, and be clearly negative for the consumer. As it is, ITV and Channel 4 aren’t bad as broadcasters go – a great deal of it undoubtedly due to the constant challenge they have from the BBC in the ratings war. Give them less money and a much lower standard from the BBC to compete against, and the result will be total disaster for British television.

timc
    Free Member

I think BBC Radio would be the first to integrate advertising & become withdrawn from the license fee if ever it were to happen.

That said I hope it doesn’t happen, as people have said, the cost of viewing will go up & the service provided will drop in quality & quantity!

If it did, id bet it would become part of the standard sky package & the subscription fee for the likes of ‘Euro’ would go up to accommodate it.

Euro
    Free Member

Could I borrow that crystal ball fellas? I’d like to think i’d put it to better use than predicting the future of british braodcasting.

timc
    Free Member

no point euro, if you cant even see how you utilise the BBC service (Via sky) then i doubt you could work a Crystal Ball 8)

binners

The BBC has some strange and unpredictable influences on commercial broadcasting

I know the guy who runs Asian Sound Radio – a commercial radio station, aimed at…. well, you can probably guess that.

He says he owes his existence to the BBC Asian Network. Without the BBC pioneering that service and showing it could be a success then nobody would have had the confidence to invest in a commercial venture of that nature.

Now a lot of (apparently) minority stations are piggy backing on the BBC’s pioneering work and benefiting both themselves and their communities. Its actually increasing the choice available, which makes a mockery of the James Murdoch twoddle that the BBC strangles commercial alternatives by operating a monopoly

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I hate paying the licence fee but i do love most of what the BBC do. I guess it the same for most where we really just hate paying for things.

I would rather it was not compulsory and had the choice same as Sky, it would make me feel a bit less under the control of the state then.

How about a BBC HD pay to view sport channel, sounds good to me. As long as they dont put football on it cause its sh*te.

GrahamS

I would rather it was not compulsory and had the choice same as Sky, it would make me feel a bit less under the control of the state then.

But that wouldn’t work for all the reasons stated above. Changing it from a state-funded public service broadcaster to a commercial mainstream broadcaster would fundamentally alter the quality and diversity of the programmes they currently offer.

sunnrider
    Free Member

I stopped watching TV for two reasons, the first being that I moved to Spain and tv sucks in spanish. But I´d already long since given up on the tv schedule because its a dated, inconvenient delivery format.

I prefer to pay for a proper fast internet connection (50MB/5MB) and download all I want to watch for whenever I feel like watching it.
    I can actually watch live tv if I use a VPN but I don´t bother anymore.
    Unfortunately due to the backwards nature of broadcasting, this is still illegal. Even Napster eventually led to iTunes, what are the tv companies so afraid of?

The BBC is easily the best broadcasting entity in the world. Just take a look at the local offerings next time you´re on holiday. The only thing that comes close is HBO in america (also paid for) and they´re a lot more limited as far as I know, just tv, no radio.

I also think they did right getting shut of F1, lets be honest, so far this year it´s been absolute shit. Button made it interesting for a bit the last two years but I´ve given up watching now.

It´d be great to see more minority sports given some airtime, loads of us love mtb,snowboarding,mountain-climbing etc but since there´s little money in in it they´re drowned in incessant coverage of football,golf and tennis.
    At least there´s the snooker, nobody else wants that.

Cooroo
    Free Member

Licence fee for me is pretty much justified by News Quiz, Desert Island Discs and BBC4.

BBC3 is pretty desperate, and I can’t see it would be a great loss if it vanished, but maybe some people love it? Like maybe some people love gardening and religious stuff? Weird but true.

Junkyard
    Free Member

which makes a mockery of the James Murdoch twoddle that the BBC strangles commercial alternatives by operating a monopoly

News Corporation (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV) had total assets as of March 31, 2011 of approximately US$60 billion and total annual revenues of approximately US$33 billion. News Corporation is a diversified global media company with operations in six industry segments: cable network programming; filmed entertainment; television; direct broadcast satellite television; publishing; and other. The activities of News Corporation are conducted principally in the United States, Continental Europe, the United Kingdom, Australia, Asia and Latin America.

Imagine what they could do eh if it were not for the BBC stifling them commercially. 🙄

Viewing 15 posts - 161 through 175 (of 175 total)

The topic ‘What do I pay my Licence fee for…?’ is closed to new replies.