Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What commercially available one-bike-does-it-all 120mm FS bike…
  • Kryton57

…for 70% singletrack, 15& Trail Centres and 4-5 races/events per year?

EX8?
    Spec Camber?
    Whyte T120?
    Marin?
    ‘dale RZ120?

What else….?

z1ppy

Add the SC Superlight, Pivot Mach 4 & Scott Spark* (2012) to your list.

* Which I’d missed but Njee posted about it, and it look lovely .

stumpy01

Giant Trance might be worth adding to the list too….

What’s the budget?

Kryton57

Budget, on or around 2k.

Pretty much looking for a low maintenance, no quirks, pick it up out of the shed and ride it 27lb ish type bike, to replace the high maintenance 30lb one I have now…

I’ve moaned a lot, I guess its time to bike the bullet…

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Mondraker Factor?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve been asking the same question myself recently…

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/which-100-120mm-fs-bike-with-long-top-tube

but I think I am swaying more to the 100mm route. Should hopefully get some thing around the 25lb mark too for £2k.

My list so far is:

Cube AMS 110 SL

Giant Anthem X2

Lappierre X Control 410

Trek Fuel EX 8

Canyone Nerve MR 8.0 – Cant test ride! (but you have to look as they are such VfM)

Canyon Nerve XC 9.0 – Cant test ride! (but you have to look as they are such VfM)

Scott Spark 35.

Possibly one of the short travel Ghosts too, but a dont like the colour!

I’m going from from 130mm of travel down the other way as I think 100mm is plenty for most singletrack riding, trail centres and the odd Enduro etc.

toys19
    Free Member

was gonna say giant.

mcboo
    Free Member

As per FD, you wont find better VfM than Canyon, you can’t test ride but you can send it back if it doesnt suit you.

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2075

£1800, full XT, DT Swiss wheels, Fox 15mm bolt through fork, 12kg.

Kryton57

No conclusion then?

I like the look of the ‘dale RZ120 and the Whyte T120s – anyone got experience of those?

IdleJon

Kryton57 – Member
    No conclusion then?

That’s because they’ll all do everything you need them to.

All good bikes, all get goodish reviews. Pick one according to colour scheme! 😉

granny_ring

Ask chapps on here about the T120, selling his if not already sold (small size)

EDIT here you go

Pz_Steve

Anyone ridden a Rocky Element MSL?? A thing of beauty (IMO), but the head angle seems a tad steep by current standards…

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Look at one of the four or five inch Commencal ones.

wonnyj
    Free Member

any of the above, just change the tyres and pump up the shocks a bit for racing

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Been riding an ST 4 old + then new versions for a bit + then had an RZ 120 on prolonged test for a bit, so heres some thoughts.
    The RZ 120’s suspension is much subtler + I was underwhelmed initially, but built up with the same kit that was on the ST4, there are obvious strengths + weaknesses of both.
    I used the propedal a fair bit for fireroad climbing on the ST4 + although its a great technical climber, the design focus obviously was on capability on descents + singletrack. The ST4’s travel feels like it’s a longer travel bike, whereas the RZ120 feels less obvious + maybe more like a really nice LT HT, something like a Soul with a bit more cush.
    In my head the RZ120 rides like a very capable efficient XC bike, that does all the xc-technical rides I’ve done on it well. The ST4 rides a very capable fun trail bike, which is much more at home on engaging rather than endurothon rides. But neither bike is an armchair ride, both make you work hard + push you into riding a bit faster. The ST4 more in terms of pumping it pushing into corners + doing the whole pro-elbows, leaning at crazy angles thing. As a Brechfa “flow” bike it felt spot-on. The RZ120 seems to nudge you into riding nearer your aerobic threshold + bung in an extra loop, just gets on with it, + still handles all the steps, drops + jumps I’ve thrown at it fine.
    Anyhow opinions are like ars …e.t.c. Not sure if any of that helps.

Think the RZ 120 would do what you asked in the OP, but the forks that came with it (Recons IIRC) were bloody awful, the bike was massively better with Maxle Rebas + decent wheels.

Kryton57

FFS Mal-ec – your two bike description is more or less a description of my current 150mm bike (Tracer) in either of its Travel modes. Its taken me 6 months and a shock replacement to get it where is it. In short travel its a lot like you describe the RZ120, stiff, not sure if the shock is moving, although actually it is. In long travel like the ST4. Neither mode is sofa like, you can feel the roots all right, less so in LT mode.

Except of course I’m carrying an extra 3lbs and its more of an AM bike.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What commercially available one-bike-does-it-all 120mm FS bike…’ is closed to new replies.