Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What colour is my car?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Why do they make it so sodding difficult? I’m apparently looking for a label in the boot somewhere.. according to one website… but according to another it could be anywhere..

This is the Passat btw – anyone got any ideas?

ratherbeintobago

Label in the spare wheel well? This is where it was on my R-plate (Flash Rot) Polo.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Isn’t the colour code on that little VIN badge thing under the bonnet?

I’m probably wrong.

bearnecessities

You’ve completely reconstructed this bloody thing, and you don’t know what colour it is?

Houns

😆

molgrips
    Free Member

I know damn well there’s no label in the passenger compartment 🙂 Not on the VIN plaque.

Under the spare wheel well is a good idea, haven’t looked there.

thepurist
    neilco
    Free Member

Just unscrew the turbo, it’s under there.

Jamie
    Free Member

This is the Passat btw

No shit 8)

zippykona

Sometimes the label comes off. What colour is it roughly?
    A pic would help.

bearnecessities

Just unscrew the turbo, it’s under there.

😀

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s a Passat, it’s grey obviously.

Question is, is it Ocean Grey or Battleship Grey?

(actually just downloaded the 2006 brochure, and there’s only one grey listed which is Steel Grey)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Open bonnet, look near wiper blades/air vents?? Isn’t there a small plastic covered plate thing there, no? Then I’d say its blue, passats are blue or black normally so that’s my guess.. 😆

gnusmas

Could try looking on the panel that holds the rear lights. I have seen them hidden behind the plastic covering before when i used to work in Motor World years ago, either that or on the door shuts or door edges.

bigyim
    Free Member

Open the boot and look at the boot floor. Should be on a white paper sticker and the code usually begins with L.
    If the sticker isn’t there next port of call is the service book as they usually have the white paper sticker in the front.
    Only other option is ring a vw/audi dealer with a parts department and they can give you a colour code from the registration or chassis number

takisawa2

I’m going with pale mauve, with a hint of taupe.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks folks – tobago and big yim had the right answer. On the side of the spare wheel well. It’s apparently known as United Grey or Steel Grey. You’d know it if you saw it…

Next question then – what touch up paint supplier? I have one from Halfords but it’s the wrong colour – found out before I opened it.

geoffj

Next question then – what touch up paint supplier?

VW themselves, or for a few different patches, one of the chips away type places.

molgrips
    Free Member

Chipex in the lead so far – cos you can apply it with a finger and therefore feel how well blended it is.

peteimpreza

Lemon surely?

Sandwich

Harlequin FTW, a 90’s aberration by a marketing department on strong recreational pharmaceuticals. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

No, grey, cos it’s a boring car driven by a boring driver. You must’ve read the threads.

bigyim
    Free Member

La7t I’m guessing.

I need to get out more……..

scaredypants

Lemon surely?

<smirk>

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, la7t – how did you know?

bigyim
    Free Member

I paint cars for a living and know lots of colour codes off the top of my head.

thegreatape
    Free Member

This reminds me of an old bastard who nearly wiped us off the road in his Range Rover, and when we did him for it accused us of lying because we said his car was blue, and while it was in fact Buckingham Blue, as far as he was concerned it was indistinguishable from black, so we were lying. Cock.

As you were.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well the Chips Ahoy Chipex arrived. It’s just quick drying paint with a solvent that you can use to ‘blend in’.

Well it might work for tiny nicks in the paint, but if you have a proper rusty chip it’s of minimal use. You have to sand the chip back to metal of course which leaves a dimple, then you have to some how build that back up to level with the surrounding paintwork. If you use their solvent to ‘blend in’ you just end up removing what you’ve added.

I’m trying with wet n dry the old fashioned way but it’s not easy.

wwaswas

some hours later;

molgrips
    Free Member

Surprisingly accurate 🙂

binners

Sui
    Free Member

CHIPEX 👿

I tried that on my car, now it was probably me, but it made a right mess…. That’s no longer relevant now that some tosspot drove into whilst it was parked.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s a right mess so far, aye. I think a combination of wet n dry and their solvent could be the best option. It’s far from an invisble repair, but to be honest it’s better than a rust hole so I shouldn’t complain that much.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What colour is my car?’ is closed to new replies.