Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • What cheap slack 29er to mess about on?
  • Kryton57

Basically i wanted a ROS9 but can’t afford it. So I want a ROS9-alike, 2nd hand would be find but need to decide which bike.

Nobby

Why do you keep insisting in buying outdated technology? 😉

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Orange Clockwork?

ratherbeintobago

Define ‘cheap’.

LBS tells me Ison are selling off this year’s El Mariachis cheap, but may not be slack enough?

Kryton57

Nobby – Member
    Why do you keep insisting in buying outdated technology?

Because I consider 650b to be too close to my current 26er’s to be worth buying

@rbit- on-one 29er or cheaper (£899)

ratherbeintobago

on-one 29er or cheaper (£899)

Inbred, then?

dantsw13

Titus Ti Fireline frame is 67.7 with a 120 fork, so pretty slack. Frame is 699. XT build is 2000.

emac65
    Free Member

Inbred, then?

Scandal’s a MUCH better bike,if you can find one…………

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Bike shop near me told me that Genesis are selling off their 2013 frames cheap, the High Latitude 29’er frames aren’t particularly slack but might be worth a look. 520 reynolds.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Isn’t the aluminium Fireline supposed to be due soon?

sparkingchains
    Free Member

I doubt the High Latitude is £300, guy in the shop was ordering one in and said it was very cheap, he was getting it to ride until his titanium 20’er frame arrived. Kinda interested myself but put off by the rather weird colour.

ratherbeintobago

Scandal’s a MUCH better bike,if you can find one

Rumour is that it’s discontinued, but I’ve not seen Brant posting anything on here to that effect.

Kryton57

Hmmm. Just found a High Latitude for £745…. Bit of a budget fork though….

kimbers

Kona Honzo/Taro?

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtb/29er_pro.html £999 and there’s 10% off online soon I got told

gwj72
    Free Member

I wanted a cheapo 29er to try long term before I spent any big bucks. Got one of these for £600..

http://www.mbr.co.uk/bikes/voodoo-bizango-29er-review-2013/

Not got too many miles on it but no complaints yet. Not at that price anyway. Might even upgrade a few bits and just keep it.

roverpig

That Boardman has a 69 degree HA though, so hardly slack.

Singular Buzzard would get my vote, although I don’t actually own one so STW rules prevent me from actually recommending it 🙂

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Ragley bigwig?

kimbers

stick a slackset on that bizango and we have a winner!

Kryton57

Sun tour fork though?

gwj72
    Free Member

It works surprisingly well. 120mm (not 100 as in review, but is rebuildable to 100 or 80mm), adjustable comp / rebound and 15mm through axle.

I’ve had minutes and recons recently and they are no worse than them.

Kryton57

Oh ok. £600 eh….

Cheezpleez

Get a Buzzard. I do have one so am fully qualified to recommend it.

It has v similar geo to the ROS, Yelli Screamy, Honzo etc, which means it is ace.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

roverpig – Member
    That Boardman has a 69 degree HA though, so hardly slack.

Slacker than the High Latitude and Scandal and the same as a Buzzard, why would you want slacker than that on a 29er anyway?

Buzzard geometry

Eat your words 😆

gwj72
    Free Member

Voodoo is 69.5 BUT is adjustable via an allen key at the trail side. Unlike the posh pig-iron bikes with gear stops on the wrong side 😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

2nd hand Yelli (wink wink nudge nudge).

Clink

Voodoo is 69.5 BUT is adjustable via an allen key at the trail side. Unlike the posh pig-iron bikes with gear stops on the wrong side

Have you found the geo for the Voodoo anywhere?

gwj72
    Free Member

I did find a link claiming 69′ but mine measured isn’t quite that slack. I could tuck the wheel in a little bit more, but I wouldn’t want to with a front mech on and 2.25’s. Mine sits between 69 and 70 on the meter as it was bought.

roverpig

Slacker than the High Latitude and Scandal and the same as a Buzzard, why would you want slacker than that on a 29er anyway

I didn’t say I did, but the OP does, so I thought I’d try and be helpful rather than just recommend what I ride. Although I’ll admit that I was assuming (since he wanted it slack) he’d run the Buzzard with a 140mm fork giving a 68 degree HA.

Kryton57

Rorschach – what you got?

Re the buzzard – nice but it’s not in budget…

st

At your budget you’re going to have to compromise in the fork. Even at £1,300 I considered the fork on my Trek Stache to be budget, it was a Recon Silver and was replaced within weeks.

At least you can upgrade it if you decide you like the ride of a clown bike. I’ve seen a few secondhand Staches around for under £800, I like mine. It’s about as slack as you’ll go without stretching to something really pimp like a Yelli.

I’ve got a hankering for a Mona Honzo though, mainly to try the very short chain stays as mine does fell a little slow through my local twisty Singletrack since the autumn mud started to breed.

chakaping
    Free Member

Bide your time and I expect you’d get a Stache 8 for £900. I saw one fail to sell at that price on ebay recently.

Unfortunately it was too big for me, but I do expect my secondhand Stache 7 to arrive today.

I’m expecting good things from the reviews.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Genesis Mantle.

we do all know that imposing our preconceptions of 26er geometry onto a 29er is daft, don’t we?

with a long front centre, a 69 head angle is plenty slack.

gwj72
    Free Member

Just picked up this months MBR – The bizango has won overall bike of year 2013. Against some expensive competition too. Seems even better value now.

z1ppy

Bizarre how the mags are claiming the Bizango is slack, yet no one reporting any geometry figures & I can’t locate any on the web. Be interested to see the whole workup.
    Does look like a bike to be considered though – espcially if it is around 69°, with the american steely’s version 425mm chainstays.

My suggestion for a cheapy would be a second hand whyte *29-er series HT, the 5/6/7 have a 68.5°, but a slight longer tail at 440mm. The early 2013’s are coming through on ebay

ton

how slack would a on one be (the on with the iscg mounts) fitted with a 130mm fork?

z1ppy

kimbers – Member
    stick a slackset on that bizango and we have a winner!

Just for clarification, I assume this could only be done if the steerer is a straight 1 1/8 not tapered? (budget build so it may well be)

z1ppy

Ton: Fireline? 526mm a-c, 15mm lower external headset cup is 67.5, only a2c figures for a RS revs/Fox 32’s put them at 530 for 130mm. So you’d be lucky if changes the HA by a 0.5°, lot of ppl running them with 140mm forks on the massive thread about em.

ton

zippy, no mate, the old teal coloured on one that Ed did the vid with.

Cheezpleez

Obviously it’s all related (and highly subjective) but I reckon short chain stays make more of a contribution to the fun-ness of a 29er HT than slackness. I’m talking from experience mainly on twisty, woodsy singletrack and I’m happy to be told I’m talking out of my arse. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘What cheap slack 29er to mess about on?’ is closed to new replies.