Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What are the access rights on Arthur's Seat?
  • Pook

Quite fancy riding it next time I'm up north

ojom
    Free Member

The sign says No basically.

Due to land access law in our fine land you could attempt to contest this but prolly not worth it.

General consensus is, go at a quiet time, be discreet, no skids, no walker harassment. i.e. stop and yield to EVERYONE.
    If the ranger spots you, pedal like hell.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

isn't the land at A S owned by the crown? I.e. quite serious penalties if you get caught riding up there?

I went of a geology field trip up there at uni and the rangers follwed us around to make sure we were not hammering any outcrops to get samples.

geoffj

Have a look here:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/edinburgh-biking

Personally I'm looking forward to the TJ vs The Crown test case 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Geoffj – we need someone to get lifted for the test case. Any volunteers?

Edit – there is a nice downhill section that would be good for a race 😈 a few jumps and a rock garden only about 1/4 mile tho. anyone got any timing gear?

jimmy

stopwatch and 2-way radios works fine…

i can't be bothered reading that whole thread again, but wasn't the upshot that legally it should be OK due to Scottish access rights?

Dougal
    Free Member

Mods – Can we make this a sticky topic? It must be asked at least once a month.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The upshot is its not 100% clear and would rely on a test case. However people who have read up on it think it should be fine using LRA rights.

I would have no issue riding there but being "responsible" in that area would involve behaving as TBC above suggests. Give way to everyone!

My opinion – not at weekends or in tourist season – fun for nightriding or out of season tho.

jimmy

i doubt the 'rangers' they have there would be able to catch you anyway. both times i got caught i was stupid enough to go over when I saw them waving at me…

westkipper
    Free Member

I got chucked out by the park polis (I think they're gone now) a couple of times in the early nineties.
    I think some of the park is off-limits for good reason (SSIs?)
    Personally, I dont like to be riding constantly looking over my shoulder, worried about getting nabbed unless the riding is truly outstanding, and to be honest none of the cheeky trails in Embra parks are worth much hassle.
    Better to get a road bike and use the road loop as training.

kennyp
    Free Member

Regardless of the legal rights and wrongs, given that it's only a small area, and that there is tons of better riding elsewhere, why not just stay away from it and not run the risk of giving mountain biking a bad name. There are much better places to ride that aren't full of folk walking.

cynic-al
    Free Member

SSIs? Are you ****ing us?

Was the answer not that SNH or whoever said it was OK?

geoffj

Was the answer not that SNH or whoever said it was OK?

Yes – so long as you don't ride more than 2 abreast and less than 30mph.

Stu_N

A bollocking from the Arthur's Seat Parkie is an Edinburgh mtb right of passage. The run down the valley behind Salisbury Crags is quite good fun. I got spoken to in about 2002.

I've been chased out of Princes Street Gardens when we were riding round all the cow parade cows as well whenever that was – 2006 or 2007.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What are the access rights on Arthur's Seat?’ is closed to new replies.