Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What 140/160mm forks for an Orange 5?
  • undapressure
    Free Member

Looking for some new forks for my five but a bit spoilt for choice. It gets used mainly around Bristol, Mendips and trail centres. Stuck between RS Revelations or Lyriks and Fox 32s or 36s.

What are other people running and has anyone tried / could reccomend one of the above?

Thanks

hora
    Free Member

Definitely travel adjust (slacker head angle)- I'd say Fox Talas 36. I have dual air Rev maxles on mine and would like that little bit extra travel occassionally.

I_Ache
    Free Member

My mate loves his 36 Talas on his 5 but they are bloody expensive. He normally just leaves them set at 160 but sometimes drops them for really steep and long climbs.

elaineanne
    Free Member

why are your originals cream crackered now ? get them serviced ?

i run 'Fox 32 Float R 140mm 15QR' ..its what came with the bike…only had bike about 5 months tho and its my first full sus… happy with my forks …..at the mo…. they are light enuff for me as im only a small spring chicken you see…lol

Davy
    Free Member

If you ride the bike up hills, go for the Revelations. If it mostly points down, go for a 36.

Having run foxes for years, I've been blown away by my Rev's performance. They're plusher than a plush thing in a world of pillows. Way better feel than my old Talas 32s and 36s. Not as stiff as the 36s, but waaaay stiffer than the 32s. And they weigh about 2.5lb less than the 36s.

snowslave

Recently swapped to Fox Talas 32s. Great match for this bike.

nickegg
    Free Member

09 Rock Shox Revs on mine, feel geat and a perfect match for the riding i do.

Only in the Alps did i wish for more travel, at home the 140mm is fine.

Olly
    Free Member

6" = 150mm

nickegg
    Free Member

FWIW i am Bristol based too and find my Revs great for that area. Nothing round here is long enough/steep enough to warrant 160mm travel forks IMO.

The new 2010 Revs would be a great compromise i suspect although i'm not sure how the axle to crown measurement compares to the 2009 forks or what year 5 you're on (my 2009 has a pretty slack head angle already with 140mm forks).

nickegg
    Free Member

6" = 152.4mm 😉

JA
    Free Member

Float 32 R's here, 140mm travel with the 15mm bolt-thru QR. I have revs on another bike and the Fox's are a different league altogether, both in terms of plushness and stiffness. I wouldn't have Rockshox again. As ever though, it's personal choice…

sharki
    Free Member

New revs if you must, or old pikes, no real need for anything more than 140mm unless you just WANT more, IMHO.

HTH

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

Fox 32 Van R with QR15 lowers here. The forks were originally the QR version, but I changed the lowers to QR15 and haven't looked back.

I've not had any issues with stiffness and they're lovely and plush with very well controlled damping. For the money I've found nothing better and doubt if I'd go back to an air fork again.

In maintenance terms their completely eclipse RS and Fox air forks too – that is if you do your own maintenance!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I've got 15mm Talas 150mm on mine which is a brilliant fork. Not heavy, but long and plenty stiff enough.

Not cheap though, unless Mojo get some more in the clearance section

si-wilson
    Free Member

Blatant plug, but i can supply Fox forks at much cheapness. I was thinking of doing a group buy, if any one is intersted mail me 🙂

GaryLake
    Free Member

Bristol/Quantocks/South Wales and ride a Five.

You don't need anything more than Revs or 32s. I personally ru a 32 Vanilla with 15QR, I think the vanilla is worth the extra weight over a Float which is now on my HT.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

And they weigh about 2.5lb less than the 36s

Um not quite – Fox 36's weight about 5lbs for Vans a bit less for Float/TALAS. I think even for Rev's 2.5lbs would be pushing it? 😉

I've had 36 Van's for 2 years and they've been amazing forks however there were times when I wondered if I need quite as much burlyness.

The new 150mm RS Revs do look very nice and from what I've heard are pretty stiff – saw some on a Nomad on Santa Cruz's stall back in May so must be capable of taking some stick..

shredder
    Free Member

Another self plug buy my 2009 Fox 32 Float's with 15mm QR perfect condition. Removed from an Orange 5.

Oh and I will beat any price ! 😛

orange
    Free Member

i'd be looking at the 2010 36 Talas or the 2010 150mm u-turn revs for a five

charliemort

Float 32 R's here, 140mm travel with the 15mm bolt-thru QR. I have revs on another bike and the Fox's are a different league altogether, both in terms of plushness and stiffness.

plushness – maybe, but stiffness? that seems to be contradictory to anything I have read elsewhere

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What 140/160mm forks for an Orange 5?’ is closed to new replies.