• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • West highland way section fortwilliam – glencoe
  • RoganJosh
    Free Member

Hi, I seem to remember parts of this being quite good, but cannot be sure! Can somebody please confirm whether this be true? I.e. a worthwhile day ride from Fort William?

If so, and we ride from town through kinkochleven and to glencoe via devils staircase, what are our options for the return? Road? Not a hugely pleasant spin back alongside the lochs is it.

Thanks

Freester

Yes it’s alright.

TBH IMHO you are riding it the wrong way. Especially the Devil’s staircase bit.

There is no real easy return option apart from a spin along the lochs.

You could turn it into a big day out and not head into Kinlochleven and return via Mamore Lodge, Rob Roy View, Loch Eilde Mor and Luibelt. Or even do head into Kinlochleven then return via Blackwater Dam follow the pipe to Lock Eilde Mor.

Or just get how ever far you get and double back. It’s good and different in both directions.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Ah i see, so the best direction on devils staircase is headilng back towards fortwilliam? How about out as far as glen Coe on the devils staircase then double back but descend into kinkochleven? Is there a quick and quiet way back from there? (Small road or similar?)

Thanks for your reply!

Freester

Yes that would work but again the only way back is the main road from KLL to Fort Bill if you don’t want to retrace your steps or take the other options.

A few years back we rode the big loop around Ben Nevis going out via Luibelt and back via WHW. A few of the lads bailed at Fort Bill and got a taxi back to where we were staying in Glencoe village. So this may be an option otherwise a bit of faffage with cars in the morning leaving one in KLL?

Or taxi to Glencoe village and ride back to Fort Bill?

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Ye that could work, what bout returning from kinkochleven to fort William via Lairigmor route? What is the state of the track? Likely to take hours?

Freester

Ye that could work, what bout returning from kinkochleven to fort William via Lairigmor route? What is the state of the track? Likely to take hours?

That’s the main WHW from KLL to Fort Bill and a great ride.

13thfloormonk

Ride all the way to Bridge of Orchy and sit in the pub till the train arrives to take you back to Ft William? Best way in my opinion!

br
    Free Member

I rode from the Glencoe chairlifts to FW, and then back last summer. Best days riding all year.

It doesn’t really feel like ‘retracing your steps’ and you also get to descend all the climbs and vv. There are drinks/food available in both Kinlochleven and at the Inn in Glencoe.

View back from the top of the ‘Staircase just before 8am.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘West highland way section fortwilliam – glencoe’ is closed to new replies.