• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Weatherproof flat pedal shoes?
  • Random
    Free Member

I’ve been riding flat pedals recently and I’m a potential convert but I’m not sure about committing £80+ to a pair of Five Tens when they don’t appear to be very weatherproof. Marzocchi used to do a Five Ten sticky rubber riding shoe (the Bomber) but they seem to be discontinued.
    Are there any winter / July(??) suitable sticky rubber riding shoes out there?

crikey
    Free Member

StuE
    Free Member

Shimano AM41’s are very good
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55371
    Read the reviews.

Tom83

Sealskinz socks, and either AM40’s or 5tens do the trick for me. The AM40’s are definately the better wet/winter show out of the two, so i guess the newer models would do the same!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I asked this question a while back as my 5:10 impacts took over a week to dry out. Suggestions were shimano am41, teva link, sealskinz, mtfu and ride in wet shoes or try 5:10 freerides which use less foam and cardboard than the impacts.

Still not sure which bit of advice to take there.

Don’t think I’ll ever find a pair that drys as well as an spd ballet slipper.

Random
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. The AM41s sound a good option that I hadn’t previously considered despite a couple of friends riding the equivalent SPD shoes.

The sole on the AM41s is getting referred to as the “R sole” (nice name!) on the shop websites but it appears to be Vibram’s Freeride sole using their Idrogrip rubber.

steezysix
    Free Member

I’ve got an old pair of the Marzocchi shoes, great summer shoe, but they’re utter crap in the wet – thick material and cardboard midsole means they weigh a ton and take ages to dry. I’ve got a pair of the AM41 that I’ve been wearing all “summer” and my feet have stayed pretty dry (and on my pedals – the grip is very good).

gt900uk
    Free Member

The Shimanos (I use them) are in no way water proof in anything more than a drizzle and go through some puddles and you will get wet. They are however a good shoe and dry out nicely without falling apart and the flap stops the laces getting manky. If you want dry feet seal skins are the way to go though if it’s raining heavy enough the water runs down your leg into shoe and sock anyway. If its that wet during winter leg warmers/leggings stop water going in the sock or you need to find another way to seal the top of the sock.

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Saw these on wired, look pretty sweet… Shame UK price is almost double that of the USD >.>

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/07/teva-fuse-ion/

http://www.teva.co.uk/mens-fuse-ion-casual-water-shoes/1000225,en_GB,pd.html?dwvar_1000225_color=BLK&start=6&cgid=men-shoes-water

Anyone tried them? Rather tempted tbh…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

the marzocchi was a re-badged 5.10 Impact Low, so not especially waterproof.

Ive got AM40s which as others have said could be described as showerproof. Pretty alarmed at the rate of sole wear from pedal pins though.

alexpalacefan

In proper weather the problem is water, particularly splashes IMO, running down your hairy man-leg into the waterproof shoe or sock.

I’ve found a knee-length seal skin prevents this, as there’s less bare leg area for water to form on.

Hope that helps

APF

jedi

i wear canvas nike bmx shoes and seal skinz when its wet 🙂

GolfChick
    Free Member

The marzocchi 5:10s are terrible for waterproofing, as has been said there’s a LOT of padding in them and cardboard so they weigh a tonne and take forever to dry out. I’m going to get some free riders and some products for drying em out after each ride

MarkN
    Free Member

i wear canvas nike bmx shoes and seal skinz when its wet

That will be at least the last 6 months or so then… 😉

philfive
    Free Member

Shimano AM41’s and five tens are not waterproof, both of my pairs have fallen to peices 🙁

philfive
    Free Member

Jedi

have you a link to those shoes you wear?

jedi
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Weatherproof flat pedal shoes?’ is closed to new replies.