Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • waterproof shoes for flats
  • headfirst
    Free Member

thats flat pedals, not apartment blocks.

Any recommendations for sticky shoes that keep the water out reasonably well? I try to avoid absolutely filthy weather and conditions. From my research I understand that 5.10’s are like sponges!

nealglover
    Free Member

Vans do a nice water resistant shoe that people seem to like.

Think CRC do them.

headfirst
    Free Member

Yeah, these vans look good and grippy, not sure how well they’ll hold up, blurb says uppers ‘repel water’…anybody got direct experience of these or similar?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=57806

or

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=50387

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hoodie
    Free Member

Just ordered some of these for casual wear…

http://m.treds.co.uk/product/52817

headfirst
    Free Member

wow hoodie, they look the business!

Duane…
    Free Member

Hoodie, reckon they’ll be any good for riding? Grip doesn’t look ideal for flats, but other than that, look good.

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah, these vans look good and grippy, not sure how well they’ll hold up, blurb says uppers ‘repel water’…anybody got direct experience of these or similar?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=57806
    No stock of my size until February 😯 – that’s probably made my mind up for me, I’ll be getting some of these instead (they seem to get good reviews – and given I keep hitting my ankles on the cranks, the mid height inside seems a good idea).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55371

headfirst
    Free Member

A fair point duane, isn’t there a company that will re-sole shoes with 5.10 stickiness?

muckytee
    Free Member

I have ridden in Vans before, chukka lows (for skateboarding) The waffle sole wasn’t great when it came to grip, My shimano AM41’s are much grippier.

headfirst
    Free Member

aracer, didn’t realise AM41’s were flat-specific… 😳

I know it shouldn’t be a major consideration but they look a bit ‘special’ off the bike I dare say? In my defence I’d want them for multi-day road touring on/off bike wear as well as on the mtb.

On second thoughts, I think they’ve gone to the top of my list, in terms of meeting my original criteria.

PS: aracer, size 7? U a girl??

muckytee
    Free Member

but they look a bit ‘special’ off the bike I dare say?

I agree with you on that. However if you work in a bike shop you must wear them, to show you know about bikes 😛 (I have seen multiple bike shop staff wear them)

The are ugly but, I like mine and plenty of other people wear them.

headfirst
    Free Member

show you know about bikes

the deal is sealed! 8)

ordered from crc

aracer
    Free Member

PS: aracer, size 7? U a girl??

I can be whatever you want me to be, darling.

The are ugly but, I like mine and plenty of other people wear them.

You’re talking about AM41s here? Being a girl I’m a bit slow sometimes.

Northwind

headfirst – Member

aracer, didn’t realise AM41’s were flat-specific..

They do a SPD shoe which looks pretty much exactly the same, so easy to get confused.

Haven’t used the AM41 personally, because they look like something you’d get off the NHS, but the old AM40 was a superb shoe.

hoodie
    Free Member

Ill post back when i get to try em – tbh they are a skate shoe so more for casual wear with the advantage of being acceptable on flat pedals and also more weatherproof than your average pair of trainers…

aracer
    Free Member

Far anybody interested (and if they’ve got your size), AM41s here for just over £50 using quidco and VIP10 code. Have just ordered some for my girly feet.

jimjam
    Free Member

The vans gravels are excellent. Very grippy, keep the water out and stiff enough. Mine were a bit tired and as they were not available in my size I ended up replacing them with 5 10 freeriders (the red baron ones). I expected the 5 10s to be much grippier, but not as water repellent. To my surprise they seem less grippy than the vans, but the uppers seem pretty water proof. They are extremely stiff at the minute too.

They still take an age to dry out when saturated but to be fair so did the vans when absolutely soaked. All in all, having used every flat pedal shoe on the market I think the vans are best by a slim margin.

Mackem

Arent the latest Teva things waterproof?

Teva Shoes Launch the Links

mojo5pro
    Free Member

The shimano AM41’s are perforated leather for breathing. How can these be any good for keeping water out? 😯
    The Vans Baxter look pretty weather robust (for Vans)

widge34
    Free Member

The AM41s are no where near as good as the AM40s either. They have the same sole but the stiffness is quite different so grip is not as good. The 5-10 Karver would be a lot better. Free flow bikes have good deals on 5-10s at the moment.

hainman
    Free Member

does anyone ride in trail or hiking shoes like the salomon,merrel or north face gtx shoes??

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Yep, me. Usually wear 5:10 impacts (mids) but been letting a lot of water in recently so wore some old hiking boots recently and they were fine. They do have a flat sole (rather than convex) and a shallow tread and I reckon this helps. Deep, aggressive tread patterns don’t work very well.

gren
    Free Member

I ride in Salomon XA Pro trail shoes. Grip nicely but are no good in winter as their uppers are like running shoes (maybe the Goretex lined ones are better). Waiting for my Vans Gravels to come ….from Austria as I have small feet too!

martinhutch

I ride in Boreal flyers, by default really. They don’t stay waterproof for ever, but do a reasonable job to start with. OK for staying on the pedals, but not magnificent. I’d second the ‘not too aggressive’ sole advice.

Are waterproof socks a reasonable alternative?

SimonR

Review of the Teva Links here …..

http://www.sicklines.com/2011/12/12/review-teva-links-shoe/

Anything that dries quicker than the 3 days my AM41s have just taken has to be a good thing! Think I’ll be giving a pair of the Tevas a go this winter ….

hainman
    Free Member

http://store.nike.com/gb/en_gb/?l=shop%2Cpdp%2Cctr-inline%2Fcid-300%2Fpid-253255%2Fpgid-461132
    anyone think these would do for the winter.maybe use nikwax or the old dubbin you used to apply to football boots…

aracer
    Free Member

Just thought I’d revisit this after today’s ride:

The shimano AM41’s are perforated leather for breathing. How can these be any good for keeping water out?

Well they did a pretty decent job of keeping my feet dry in today’s wet slushy snow. I’m sure they’re not waterproof if wading through puddles, but then it would just come over the top anyway. Was impressed – they did far better than I expected.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Salomon Elios goretex mid-height boots all day, every day for me – perfect!

macb
    Free Member

I generally use the 5-10 lows and have even paired them with some overshoes…needed really big ones from Decathlon. But it’s not ideal and they absorb a ridiculous amount of water. However I use flats for all my riding and have been trying to decide on a suitable shoe that’s lightweight and dries quickly for road and general use.

Has anyone got any experience of riding in something like the 5-10 Freerunners or Warhawks?

sparkyrhino

Cheap karrimor hicking shoes for me £20 for waterproof version from sportsdirect half decent grip on flats ,and good when i’m pushing the soddin bike up a sloppy muddy slope when my lungs give out,and for £20 they are ideal for a tight arsed yorkshire man like mi-sen .

headfirst
    Free Member

Hey It’s the OP here! Nice to see the resurrection, I’ve still to use my AM41’s as my wrist is still not up to full strength since breaking it before Xmas, good to hear they’ll keep my feet pretty dry when I do venture out!

bowglie

Just a suggestion re: the AM41’s (this is from someone who has previously owned/owns Vans/5.10s/AM40’s etc). Personally, I like ’em, and they’re reasonably water resistant. However, I don’t find ’em as warm as 5.10s, or even my old AM41’s. I think the problem is that the midsole is a bit thinner than the other shoes.

Couple of top tips if you want to improve their cold weather performance on the cheap – pop some insulated insoles in, and if you want to stop water getting in thru the perforated areas, rub a bit of clear boot wax/dubbin in to fill the perforations in. If you try the latter, it needs to occasionally be reapplied, but it works a treat.

HTH

bowglie

p.s. if anyone’s thinking about resoling their boots/shoes with 5.10 stealth rubber, this is one of the best places=http://www.feetfirst.resoles.co.uk/ I’ve had a pair of SPD shoes resoled with 5.10 dotty soles there and the service and quality of work was top notch.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘waterproof shoes for flats’ is closed to new replies.