Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Warranty question… thoughts? Legal begals?
  • poppa
    Free Member

Ok, heres the situation as briefly as I can manage. Simple question, long story:

1. I bought a Boardman bike from Halfords. Six months out of (1yr) warranty the SRAM shifter broke under normal use. (Searching the net suggests this may be due to a design flaw – lots of other people experienced the same).

2. I contact the SRAM distributor (Fisher) and tell them that my shifter has broken under normal use. They tell me that ‘Any SRAM product is covered by a 2yr warranty’, and to return it via my dealer.

Question: Because the shifter came on the bike does it only have a 1yr warranty, or does the 2yr warranty still stand?

Any ideas? Trying to work out where I stand before contacting Fisher or Halfords.

Thanks in advance for your help!

wwaswas

you have to go through the retailer.

if Fisher say it’s got a 2 year warranty then chances are that you’ll get a new one as they’ll be the ones supplying it 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Do not confuse your legal rights under SOGA with any manufacturers warranty which will be over and above your legal rights but are discretionary.

As the bike is less than a year old its irrelevant – just go back to halfords and get them to sort it

hora
    Free Member

Make it a quick conversation at the store -show them the email.

If they say it’ll effectively be bounced around head office or blatantly say no just go straight back to Fisher and say please’ and post it at your cost with a copy of the original receipt.

I always try to follow the path of least resistance to good resolution if sticking firmly to my guns ended up with me not riding said-bike for weeks and weeks.

wwaswas

As the bike is less than a year old its irrelevant

errm, it’s 18 months old – 6 months past the end of the 1 year warranty?

geoffj

I guess SRAM may have different warranty agreements for OEM items sold for bike builds, The 2yr warranty may only apply to boxed retail product. I’m just guessing though – speak to Halfords.

poppa
    Free Member

geoffj – that’s precisely my concern!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sorry – missread the OP.

neninja
    Free Member

The SRAM X7 shifters on Boardmans seem to have internals made of cheese. A mate had his 9 speed X7 pack up after about 6 weeks. Fisher were going to be out of stock of them for weeks so he had an X9 fitted by Halfords instead (at no cost to him).

bruneep

Not just easier to buy a new shifter, you’ve had 18 months use out of it.

poppa
    Free Member

It would be easier to buy a new shifter, but I don’t want to…

It’s on my road bike, and the cheapest I can find it for is £115. On searching the net it seems lots of them have failed the same way, so it looks like a design error. Apparently SRAM have changed the design to be more robust since then.

So I kind of feel like I shouldn’t have to fork out £115, because to me it looks like a design/manufacturing error. Effectively the lever snapped off because I tried to do something so rash as to change gear with it 😕

elliptic
    Free Member

RH shifter, the collar thingie holding the paddle mechanism onto the main internal pivot?

Mine broke in December. Rival shifter, 8 months old. Sent back through PX and SRAM replaced it, bit annoyed it took a month as Christmas got in the way, but hey ho.

poppa
    Free Member

Exactly that. I can’t believe how little metal there is stopping that part from snapping… or not. Unfortunately I don’t ride the bike as much as I should. If I rode it more I am almost certain it would have snapped within the bike warranty.

goatster
    Free Member

Your confusing they issue. Very simple. All sram goods carry a 2 year warranty. Return it via your dealer. T

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Warranty question… thoughts? Legal begals?’ is closed to new replies.