Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Wales – bit of a road trip
  • lucien

Heading to North Wales for a long weekend and staying in Dolgellau for 4 nights and was thinking of doing….

Friday – Betws-y-Coed
    Saturday – Cody-Y-Brenin
    Sunday – either do Machylleneth or Nant-Y-Arian.

Any thoughts out there on Sunday’s ride or the other 2?

Cheers

thomthumb
    Free Member

bridleways?

lucien

As in make up a natural route Thom?

nosedive
    Free Member

ditch betsy coed would be my advice. there is enough for 2 days at coedy unless you ride like a maniac and betsy is dull.

where are you heading from? If you are coming from the north I would suggest llandegla on the way down as well

nosedive
    Free Member

and what about a natural ride, cadar idris (not sure of spelling) is right next to dolgellau, never ridden it but I regret not making the effort every time I go there

bloodynora
    Free Member

Penmachno up the road from Betws y coed….Just do it trust me 😉

Sunday Nant y Arian the summit trail is ace, short but swoopy uppy luvliness and time it right to see the Red Kite feeding back at the lodge.
    Loads more to choose from but those 2 stand out for me

Duane…
    Free Member

“and betsy is dull.”

Haha.

nosedive
    Free Member

well the official trail is. are you telling me there is better unmarked stuff?

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

I think the comment was addressed at pronunciation?

It’s Betws y Coed… as in, “Bet-us A Coid”

I really like the Marin, and Penmacho is a good blast – not in the rain though, I still have nightmares of wet slate….

Duane…
    Free Member

“I think the comment was addressed at pronunciation?

It’s Betws y Coed… as in, “Bet-us A Coid””

Nah, was based on the comment. I’m an Englishman so my pronunciation is no better 😛

But yes, plenty of very very good unofficial stuff. But it’s unofficial so it doesn’t exist 😛

lawrence
    Free Member

Penmachno worth a go very underrated , I loved it we had crap evil weather but still came out grinning , not much in way of facilitys there , so go prepared

Ambrose

Betws y Coed I like. Penmachno is Uber fun once you get out of the trees, otherwise it is pretty similar to all the other forest trails. Good fun but all a bit similar. The final descent back to the car park is wonderful- @rse twitchingly so in the wet. Just hope that those slabs have at least a tiny weensie bit of friction 😎

Cadair Idris is a Big Day Out, a lot of climbing, and lots of rocks, esp at the top. It is a there and back trip really, returning the way you went up. It goes high too, so dress/ pack accordingly.

Pont Scethin is always a good bet.

molgrips
    Free Member

Definitely go on a natural ride. Proper mountains – great stuff.

cord
    Free Member

Betws y coed, is dull? (hmmm, possibly compared to “real” riding up mountains) but your recommending Coed Llandegla ?????????????????????????????????????? What planet have you beamed in from?

Ambrose

As Cord. Llandegla is for people not really used to hills and bikes and stuff like that.

pitcherpro
    Free Member

+1 for penmachno , superb trail and very wild feel ! You’ll not see a single tracksuited , football shirt wearing tesco bike rider there 🙂 Llandegla on the other hand . . . .

Coed y brenin is one of my favourite places as you can mix up the mbr / dragons back to make a fun day’s riding .

superfli
    Free Member

Nant yr Arian, do the long trail that takes in Summit. Syfydrin i think. Its lovely scenery and gives you some bridleway riding as well as the trail centre stuff. Be aware, after the absolutely superb descent on summit part, there is possibly the worst ascent ever (leg burner)! I did a similar trip in Aug, but stayed in Mach, did climachx, CDB (2days) and Nant (my fav)

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Head to mach and do the Climach-X trail.. you won’t regret it!!

Tastypixels
    Free Member

Take a look HERE
    as I have posted a few routes around Machynlleth.
    Also there are printed maps available for the MACH1-3 routes from the bike shop in Mach.
    The routes in the Dyfi forest just up the road from Machynlleth are great.

p7rich
    Free Member

Whatever you do don’t miss Machynleth. Can’t tell you about Mach 1, 2 & 3 but Climachx is a thing of wonder. I have a similar trip planned this weekend and will deffo be going back to Machynleth.

nosedive
    Free Member

has the Marin trail changed recently then ? as everyone else seems to disagree with me I am beginning to question my memory of it, it did seem to be a lot of fireroad and not much fun. admittedly that was about 7 years ago though so happy to be corrected.

I like llandegla, not everyones cup of tea but I like the BMX track feel of it

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Wales – bit of a road trip’ is closed to new replies.