Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Very dark side – Velodrome taster session – this Sunday!!
  • piemann
    Free Member

I'm really looking forward to this…..I was standing at the top of the banking at the Kraftwerk gig and it's soooooooooooo bloody steep! 😯

Anyone else tried it and what tips have you got?

JonBurns
    Free Member

Enjoy and ride fast

peakmonster
    Free Member

Time to join a darkside forum me thinks!

Vortexracing

Did it a couple of years ago, quite wierd if your not used to fixies but great fun

quite chuffed until about 55 mins into the session when I decided to 'freewheel'.

$hit myself, bloody back wheel must have jumped a foot in the air!

zangolin
    Free Member

Lot's of racing on indoor + outdoor veloromes over the year's.
    Best tips:-

1. Try + stay as relaxed as possible – don't have a death grip on the bars.
    2. Remember to keep pedaling.
    3. Don't forget track mitts/gloves + helmet.
    4. Wear 2 layers on top.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

You'll have a great time – done this a couple of times there, and if you've got a coach too, then it's fantastic.

Tips? I have two:

1: Keep pedalling.
    2: Keep pedalling.

Have fun! 🙂

stoney
    Free Member

I have been twice with a group from Keswick and its ace!. Dont be afraid of the banking, if you can ride the black line at the bottom then you can ride the top.
    depending on which coach you have will depend on what you do. We had a different one each time and did different things. One of which was a standing timed lap.

Let us know how you get on……

mrchrispy

try not to think about it when the dude tightens the straps on your pedals, there's no way your getting out of them in a hurry.

colnagokid

Fantastic fun!
    Keep pedaling, and try not to crash!
    Remember, to slow down go UP the banking
    Enjoy

MrSmith
    Free Member

don't go too slow up the banking you will slide down and take out people riding behind you.
    best bit of advice. listen to the instructor and don't think you know better cos you have seen it on the telly.

deft
    Free Member

The bank is the same steepness at the top and the bottom, so keep pedalling

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

Did this at Newport about a year ago and despite being very unprepared had a great time! scary and exciting in equal measure (and I was plenty scared!) strangely, despite falling off plenty while using a fixie on the road, I didn't once forget to pedal when on the banking 😉

Enjoy

samuri
    Free Member

yeah, don't be intimidated by the banking. As deft says, it's just as steep at the bottom as at the top and you'd be surprised at how slow you can go without slipping.

My tips might be not as you expect.

It gets quite warm, wear gloves, take clean clothes and a towel, take a water bottle. There is a tap you can refill from in the riders 'D'.

Say thanks to your trainer, he's not getting paid for it.

Listen to the guy in the yellow shirt, he really does know what he's talking about. A girl tonight started arguing with him, I thought she was alright but clearly she doesn't like being told she's wrong, which put me off her a bit.

Never, ever, stop pedalling. In fact, try not to back pedal at all.

Slowing down is achieved by quick look, ride up the banking.

If you're in the train, do NOT accelerate when you get to the front, you'll want to, oh will you want to, but just keep going at the same speed.

Enjoy yourself, it's quite a bit of fun.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Remember to pedal a bit harder through to corners to prevent losing height on the berm.

Do what coach says.

Wear lycra.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

The guy in the yellow shirt does get paid (not a lot) if he remembers to claim

do as he says even if you disagree, ask for explanations

losing speed, totally disagree with samuri for a taster session,
    best done coming out of bend
    solo: look, take pressure of the pedals but keep rotating the legs, drop onto the "wooden blue", trundle next bend, look, then onto flat
    group (solo exit): look, move up out of the group, drift to the back, look, drop down and do the stuff for solo
    group (group exit):look, ease pressure slightly and drift down the track like a corkscrew, lead group onto wooden blue, look and slow gently

remember to keep pedalling until you stop

other tips
    hire bikes use look pedals, bring your own or hire
    don't wear baggies
    take your helmet peak off
    gloves are a must
    relax, I've seen kids literally throw themselves off the bikes becaues they tense too much.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Yep been loads, was thinking about getting an accreditation so I can race there,
    The banking is only intimidating for 10 mins then you forget. You will get used to the not stopping pedalling thing quite quickly and it will become second nature, then if like I did, you will become so cocky you will drop your guard. I was doing a flying 200, and was breathing out of my ears and digging really deep for a good time. cue immediately stopping pedaling as you would naturally do as you cross the line after a huge effort. Major short filling time !!!! I didnt come off, but I will never know how, the bike flung itself left and right like an angry rodeo bull, being stung by a bee !!

hughjengin
    Free Member

Oh, whilst everyone goes on about the fear of the banking and fear of riding close, fear of sliding down the banking etc etc, never lose sight of what should really matter……..That its flippin hard work. Its like one of the hardest interval sessions you will ever do.
    But its good fun, so enjoy

AndyP
    Free Member

lots of good advice above.
    Working on my track coaching at the moment – key things I'd say to remember:
    1) ALWAYS LOOK before moving up or down
    2) riding at the top is as easy as riding at the bottom – you just have to pedal harder
    3) ALWAYS LOOK before moving up or down
    4) Don't say 'darkside', people will think you're a cock.
    5) Sharpen your elbows 😉
    6) ALWAYS LOOK before moving up or down.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

dont wear a full face!!

the only lid I had was my parachute and the bolts had locked up, they took the piss big style

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Very dark side – Velodrome taster session – this Sunday!!’ is closed to new replies.